[Solved] Reverse Image Search with Graphic Converter

Want to submit a new feature, an enhancement ? Do it here !
PGT

[Solved] Reverse Image Search with Graphic Converter

Post by PGT »

I am looking for functionality similar to Google's "Search by Image" (or TinEye), but within my local drive space, not the web.

Say I have an image I am working on, I recall having worked on similar tasks in the past, but I can't recall what they were exactly, or where that work might be saved. I would like to: (i) specify a "key" image, (ii) specify what folders or drives to look in, (iii) adjust the criteria and specificity of the search, and (iv) have it return a summary of all the similar images.

This is related to, but different from searching drives/folders for similar images for the purpose of cleaning out duplicates, old-versions, etc. There are many apps for that, and GraphicConverter has that built-in under "Find Duplicate Files". Some of these apps probably have the capability I need, but don't document that where I have been able to find it.

The only app I have found that clearly was designed to do this is "Similar Image Detector" (https://apps.apple.com/us/app/similar-i ... 7565?mt=12), which has two search modes, and the second one is almost perfect. Unfortunately, the developer seems to have moved on about 4 years ago, and the search algorithm doesn't find matches very well.

I have long relied on GraphicConverter to fill the gaps between other softwares I use for graphics. It seems like this capability would fit nicely.
forum_adm
Site Admin

Re: Reverse Image Search with Graphic Converter

Post by forum_adm »

Hi,

which criteria's do you need?

Thorsten
PGT

Post by PGT »

I assume you are asking what criteria would suffice to make such a reverse image search useful. I presume Google is using some AI/ML algorithm that won't be available to a small software developer; and I have no idea how sophisticated TinEye is under the hood. Simply matching file attributes like size, date, name, etc. wouldn't do me much good, but might be valuable to others.

What got me onto this yesterday is a good example: I was looking for a particular "chord diagram" that I had collected awhile ago. Chord diagrams have very distinctive graphic art features, so any good reverse image search should be able to find all of them on my hard drive. (In fact, searching Google images with any chord diagram produces a nice variety of other chord plots that are online.)

Seems like there would be many uses for this capability.
forum_adm
Site Admin

Post by forum_adm »

GraphicConverter supports under Edit > Find Files and Smart Folder > Find Duplicates.

You can select similar and exact.