[Solved] Copy & paste partial IPTC data or autofill with pre-filled info

Want to submit a new feature, an enhancement ? Do it here !
PakkyT

[Solved] Copy & paste partial IPTC data or autofill with pre-filled info

Post by PakkyT »

I typically use Photos for a lot of my editing, export the resulting JPGs and the use CG to edit the IPTC fields to add information such as location ("Origin" tab of the IPTC edit window) and Copyright information. As best as I can figure out, Copy and Pasting of IPTC data from one photo to another overwrites all the fields (even if the original has data and the copied from data does not) which includes non-universal data such as keywords.

I am not sure what the best way to implement this would be but I would love to be able to either Copy & Paste or fill in with a default I have already set up, only SOME fields in the IPTC data. As an example, I go for a photo walk and come home with 100 photos. I import to Photos and over the course of days I edit, add keywords, export, edit IPTC, then upload to Flickr. While the keywords, Headline (file name), etc. are all unique to each photo, the copyright tab and the origin tabs (usually) are going to be the same for all of them. I want to be able to Copy&paste from a previous one I exported just those selected universal tabs of fields and not altering others for the photos. Alternatively I can click something that will auto apply just those fields I have preselected and pre-filled in (especially for the Copyright fields).

Thanks for your consideration.
forum_adm
Site Admin

Re: Copy & paste partial IPTC data or autofill with pre-filled info

Post by forum_adm »

Hi,

just download the latest BETA.
http://www.lemkesoft.org/beta.html

Select the files and call the following function:
Screen Shot 2021-01-08 at 08.50.36.jpg
Screen Shot 2021-01-08 at 08.50.36.jpg (42.62 KiB) Viewed 3583 times
Now edit only the texts which should be changed in all files.
Screen Shot 2021-01-08 at 08.51.13.jpg
Screen Shot 2021-01-08 at 08.51.13.jpg (163.43 KiB) Viewed 3583 times
Thorsten
PakkyT

Re: [Solved] Copy & paste partial IPTC data or autofill with pre-filled info

Post by PakkyT »

Hi again,

This doesn't do it for what I want I don't think. I was able to do this before by selecting as many photos I wanted, Command-I, and then manually fill in the field(s) I want to change, then OK and it was applied to all and any fields I didn't touch were not changed. So that already existed but I still had to type in all the data I wanted to add. Also this new beta changes the simple Command-I when I have selected a bunch and now requires a four-key combination to apply to all. I preferred the old method of select many and just Command-I. Maybe switch the shortcuts for those two where if you select multiple files, Command-I changes all at once and the Control-Option-Command-I is for "each separate"? That way the old shortcut key functionality works the same.

Anyway, this still requires me to type in a lot of information which is what I am trying to reduce. So for example I would like to have a keystroke that simply fills in the Copyright tab on all the selected files and doesn't change any other IPTC data. Likewise, if I am working on a lot of files from the same place over the course of many days, I would want to prefill in all the Origin tab data somewhere once. Then as I output new edited files I can again do a keystroke to simply apply that origin data to those newly exported files without changing other IPTC data.

Copy and pasting IPTC data from a previous file unfortunately copies ALL data fields including my keywords and such, so currently while I can pick multiple files, it is still a fully manual data entry process. What about the import IPTC function? If I use that, does it replace ALL IPTC field (even if the import files has no data for those fields) or will it only populate those fields in which the import file has data?

Thank you for the first attempt on the latest beta all the same. I appreciate it.

Patrick

Edit to add bug report. I am playing with the IPTC export and import functions. Even if I simply export the IPTC and then import it back to the same file, it is incorrectly filling in the City and Country fields in the "Contact" tab with today's date because the exported CSV file has put today's date in the "file creation date" & "file modification date" fields.
forum_adm
Site Admin

Post by forum_adm »

Please download build 4732. Open sets now only the checkmarks for the changes fields.

You can customize the shortcuts with the system settings keyboard/shortcuts.

I added the popup with the two variants to avoid the alert dialog.

Thorsten
PakkyT

Post by PakkyT »

1) "Open sets now only the checkmarks for the changes fields." That is how it worked before these two betas and worked fine. I am trying to avoid having to manually type in the same data every time I export new photos from the Photos app. For example, my copyright information only changes once a year when I update the year in my notice. But currently I have to type it in manually or cut and paste it from another file.

2) Export then import IPTC still has the bug (see last couple lines of my previous post) and even overwrites anything that was already in those two fields).

3) I am not sure how Edit - > Each Separate is supposed to work. If I select several photos, do a command-I, change a field then hit the OK it closes out and only changes the first photo. It doesn't prompt for the next ones. Do you have to instead use the "OK & Previous/Next" buttons? Perhaps the "OK" button can be an "OK - apply to all selected photos" for when you change you mind and decide you want the IPCT data you just types in applied to all?

New Bug? I select several photos, do a Control-Option-Command-I. I delete the data in fields which puts checkmarks next to those fields. Then I hit OK. Data is not removed like it should. So it appears the checkboxes only work if some data is present. It can no longer be used to remove a field from several files?

New question, playing around with import IPTC, I think that might be what I actually want (and perhaps we undo the last two betas since those functions worked fine before and were simplier). However it doesn't appear I can import IPTC data into several files at once. If I select 6 files and import IPTC, only the last one gets changed. UPDATE: Ah looks like it is because of the filename and path fields, but if I clear those GC gives an error when I try to import.

Another update: ARgggggh, in the Command-I of IPTC you repurposed the Mac universal "Select All" Command-A for something else. Now when I try to copy and paste date from one field to another, by habit I Command-A a field to select it all but now instead it wipes out/changes ALL my IPTC data and I have to start over.
forum_adm
Site Admin

Post by forum_adm »

Thanks for your note. I will change command A to some more unique.
forum_adm
Site Admin

Post by forum_adm »

I saved here an iptc.xmp file. Only the items with the checkbox get saved.
Also, upon import only that fields are imported and check for modification.

Please e-mail your saved iptc.xmp file.
PakkyT

Post by PakkyT »

OK I think we are talking about two different sets of commands. I was using the export/Import commands to/from CSV files:
Screen Shot 2021-01-11 at 6.24.06 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2021-01-11 at 6.24.06 PM.jpg (30.57 KiB) Viewed 3544 times
when exporting to a CSV, it creates these fields:
Screen Shot 2021-01-11 at 6.28.16 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-01-11 at 6.28.16 PM.png (35.82 KiB) Viewed 3544 times
If you then import this CSV file it fills in the IPTC "Contact" tab as follows:
Screen Shot 2021-01-11 at 6.30.15 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-01-11 at 6.30.15 PM.png (156.69 KiB) Viewed 3544 times
(I think I originally exported this file out of Photos on the 2nd, hence the dates).

So that is the IPTC export/import bug I was talking about.

Now that you mentioned the XMP files I realized you were talking about something else. After some playing around I think I figured it out. You are using the XMP SIdecar file -> Create to "export" a file with whatever data you entered into fields. Then rather than "import" you are using the Command-I, then the OPEN command which when you pick the file populates all the fields from that file. Correct? I think that will work for me. I have to play with it a bit.
forum_adm
Site Admin

Post by forum_adm »

I found and fixed the issue.
Please download build 4736.
PakkyT

Post by PakkyT »

As usual, thanks for all your help and quick replies and modifications. GC still ranks #1 in customer support!