Retouching- 'Heal' equivalent?

The right place to speak and share about your experiences of GraphicConverter
FilmEraRelic

Retouching- 'Heal' equivalent?

Post by FilmEraRelic »

Hi. Found these boards after discovering that the old Yahoo group is apparently closed. I'm here because another editor I use (P****mator) ticked me off by apparently removing support for grayscale from their app. Grayscale images can be opened but are converted to RGB during the workflow, and saved or exported that way- whether you want to or not. I have many scans of large format B&W images and they are large TIFF files to begin with. Converting them to RGB approximately triples their size, all so you can (uselessly IMHO) have three identically-valued channels. GC allows me to work directly in grayscale which is why I'm here.

But these scanned negatives have dust spots and other analog 'artifacts' and this is my question about GC: A common feature of many editors is something often referred to as 'heal' or something similar- they will 'fill in' the dust spot or blemish, based on the surrounding pixels. I'm aware of the 'clone stamp' but AFAIK it doesn't 'blend' so the retouch may not be as invisible. Am I missing something? Is there a way to do 'smart'retouching in GC?

Looking forward to learning more about this app.
forum_adm
Site Admin

Re: Retouching- 'Heal' equivalent?

Post by forum_adm »

There is currently no heal brush.
I add that to the wish list.

Thorsten