[Solved] Resolution issue (JFX format)

The right place to speak and share about your experiences of GraphicConverter
mwra

[Solved] Resolution issue (JFX format)

Post by mwra »

Hi,

I have some JFX files that look distorted—stretched horizontally—when opened. The Pixmap Information dialog shows the resolution as 204 x98 dpi. It looks like GraphicConvertor is drawing the file at 204x204. Indeed, Picture -> Resolution shows a resolution of 204 x 204. However, if I set the image zoom (pop-up bottom right of open file's window) tom "View at Original size" it does render correctly - which I assume to be 204 x 98. The files are from 1998 so it quite possible the app creating the image didn't use entirely right format info.

Anyway, the correct pixels are there. I've tried (re-)setting the resolution of the opened image to 204 x 98 - both resampling and not. in both cases this has no effect.

How do I correct the image so the default rendering uses 204x98 and not 204x204?

TIA

(edit: typos)
Last edited by mwra on Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mwra

Re: Resolution issue (JFX format)

Post by mwra »

I mistook the resolutions - the source is H 240dpi, V 98dpi, whereas GC is displaying the images as if both resolutionms are 240. Using Picture -> Resolution has no effec t. If I set the Vertical resolution ot 98 dpi and save this has not effect.

I've tried opening the JFXs as TIFFs, splitting out the pages to give one source page per file. Even then, as a TIFF, GC is not properly obsering the differing H & V resolutions and instead using the horizontal value ofr both axes.

Is there a bug in the code setting direte horiz/vertical resolution. The manual offers no insight.

Sidenote: Error in the 10.5 manual p.129: the bolded text "Convert image" presumably is trying to decribe the dialog's option named "Resample image".
forum_adm
Site Admin

Post by forum_adm »

Please e-mail the file zipped for testing to lemke@lemkesoft.de
mwra

Post by mwra »

File emailed - thanks for taking the time to look into this.

An interim workaround, is to print (to PDF) as that results in a page using the differing horizontal and vertical resolutions. As I wanted to OCR, this was good enough for me (the output prints all 'pages' in the JFX - neat!).

I suspect the differing resolutions is something to same file size/bandwidth back in the 90s and a nuance one would not bother with now which is why the rendering in GC defaults to using the first (horizontal) resolution for both axes - though I may be wrong. No slur intended!

HTH others pending a better fix.
forum_adm
Site Admin

Post by forum_adm »

Just download the latest BETA:

http://www.lemkesoft.org/beta.html

That will fix the size issue.

Thorsten
mwra

Re: [Solved] Resolution issue (JFX format)

Post by mwra »

Worderful - works like a treat.

Many thanks for such a rapid fix.