New DXO version of Nik Software plugins with GraphicConverter

The right place to speak and share about your experiences of GraphicConverter
DeweyV

New DXO version of Nik Software plugins with GraphicConverter

Post by DeweyV »

Will the new DXO version of Nik Software Plugins be compatible with Graphic Converter going forward ?

June 14 : Earlier this month DXO software released their " new" version of the excellent NIK Software Bundle they purchased from Google last year. Before now , the Nik bundle was offered free of charge, but is now a licensed retail version. DXO says they will ofer an upgraded Nik bundle later this year with new features.

I currently use the old free Nik software bundle v. 1.2.x with the latest version of GraphicConverter on both my El Capitan Mac-minis. I find the combination of GC 10.x and Nik to be indispensable. I had installed NIK in the GraphicConverter 9 plugins folder by just copying the entire Nik suite of apps there, as Thorston instructed. When I updated from Yosemite to El Capitan , and from GC version 9 to version 10.x , the Nik's travelled along with the updates and did not require reinstalling . Since adopting that workflow, I rarely open my Photoshop CS5 these days. GC + Nik is a wealth of image editting resources.

I believe that installing 3rd party plugins into GraphicConverter is different now .

But there is another issue looming. DXO has done ' something ' to the Nik bundle that makes it difficult to install and use with , say , Affinity Photo 1.6 and other apps. There are a lot of posts at the Serif forum about the new paid licensed DXO version not installing into Affinity Photo. I do use Affinity Photo, and it wasn't easy to get Nik to work with it , but I eventually solved that. But many users are complaining that Nik isn't working for them since being released commercially this month.

So my first question is : How do we currently install any Photoshop-compatible plugins into GraphicConverter 10.x these days ?

Second question : has anyone tried to install DXO-NIK winto GraphicConverter recently ?

thx
forum_adm
Site Admin

Re: New DXO version of Nik Software plugins with GraphicConverter

Post by forum_adm »

Photoshop plugins work only with the normal version of GraphicConverter (not the Mac App Store one).
You have to install the plugins into:
~/Library/Application Support/GraphicConverter/Plug-ins

But the better approach is a normal app which can be used as Edit with app.
Just go to the prefs part General/External Editors
Add the app.

Now open an image.
Select Edit/Edit with/The app.

Thorsten