Feature Request: Scale to file size

The right place to speak and share about your experiences of GraphicConverter
JamesInSanDiego

Feature Request: Scale to file size

Post by JamesInSanDiego »

I frequently find that I need to scale a pic so that it meets a maximum file size allowed. Currently that takes a little experimentation by adjusting the size and resolution until it meets the maximum file size allowed. Could an option be added to the Scale... window where I could select the file size I want the picture to be and have GC suggest optimal size and resolution to achieve that file size? Hypothetically speaking let us say I need to upload a graphic file to a Forum but they only allow a 500K maximum file size and my graphic is currently 1.2MB. I would like to enter 500K (0.5MB) maximum file size and click to keep the file proportional and have GC calculate the best scaling. It would be very useful and time saving for the online work I do Moderating some Forums.

Thanks, James
27" iMac 14,2 (late 2013) 3.5 GHz i7 24 GB RAM 3 TB Fusion Drive macOS High Sierra 10.13.2
13" MacBook Pro 14,2 (2017 Touch Bar) 3.3 GHz i5 16 GB RAM 512 GB SSD macOS Mohave 10.14 beta
iPad Pro 128 GB iOS 12.0 beta
iPhone X iOS 12.0 beta
forum_adm
Site Admin

Re: Feature Request: Scale to file size

Post by forum_adm »

Dear James,

the scale dialog can't offer this. Because the file size (of JPEGs) depends on the compression quality and file content.

Just use directly the special option in the JPEG options dialog inside the save dialog.
Check here the special file size option as marked.

The stored file will match your selection.

Use this ONLY during save as. So, it will NOT overwrite the original.

Thorsten
Screen Shot 2018-08-31 at 07.29.52.jpg
Screen Shot 2018-08-31 at 07.29.52.jpg (177.16 KiB) Viewed 3304 times