[Solved] Which IPTC or other metadata corresponds to TITLE in Photos?

Having tech problems? Post them here and do not worry, there is always a solution for you.
christoplummer

[Solved] Which IPTC or other metadata corresponds to TITLE in Photos?

Post by christoplummer »

Hello,

I have a folder of photos that are "Referenced Photos" in the Photos App.
I am working on them with Graphic Converter directly (not using an extension).

In Graphic converter my photos appear listed by filename (ending in .jpg extension). I would like to convert/add all the "Titles" of the photos to the Filename (without the .jpg).
I can use the Clipboard Menu item, "Copy filename to Object Name", "..Caption", or "..Headline" - (or manually) make those changes, but they do not appear to cause the TITLE to appear or change in Photos.

1) Does the IPTC Caption> Title correspond to the Photos "Title", if not, is there some other metadata that does?
2) Is it possible to then batch change them using one of the existing menus in Graphic Converter?

Thank you,

Christo
forum_adm
Site Admin

Re: Which IPTC or other metadata corresponds to TITLE in Photos?

Post by forum_adm »

This is a bit more complex.

The following is valid if you import a file into Photos:
XMP/IPTC Title -> Title
XMP/IPTC Caption -> Caption
XMP/IPTC Keywords -> Keywords

Photos does not automatically update that fields in the files if you edit the metadata inside Photos. Photos stores that data in its internal database.
GraphicConverter will apply the data if you use "Make Copy of Photos Library…" in the Script menu.

Also, Photos will not find the files any longer if you rename them directly in the Library container.

So, the way in your case is:
- Export the files from Photos
- Rename with the powerful GraphicConverter batch rename
- Import the files back into Photos with the new names

Thorsten