Enlarging to vector graphic from low res jpgs

Having tech problems? Post them here and do not worry, there is always a solution for you.
kurious_kevin

Enlarging to vector graphic from low res jpgs

Post by kurious_kevin »

Hi Folks,

Longtime user at previous email address: haven't used the product in several years, and can't find out if it does what I need now (searched for "enlarge" and found nothing).

Preparing low-res scans from others for memorial service, and today learned several apps can do what I need: Need to take those 72 dpi, 4" x 6" pictures from long ago, and convert them to fill a 50" flatscreen (by making them vector-based).

Would prefer to stick with the one I owned several versions of over the years!

I've never needed the power of this app that is perfect for the serious photographer. Ideally, I'd want a script that does a batch conversion of them, and spits them out into something that iDVD can then use to assemble the slideshow.

Thanks in advance for your time/response.
forum_adm
Site Admin

Re: Enlarging to vector graphic from low res jpgs

Post by forum_adm »

Hi,

GraphicConverter can`t convert to vectors. But that makes no sense for photos. That is normally only used for graphics.

Also, what is the pixel size of your scans?
4" x 6" at 72 dpi would be 288 x 432 pixel.
But I hope that your pixel size is larger.

What kind of 50" screen do you use? Is it a HD or UHD screen?
A HD screen needs a pixel resolution of 1920 x 1080 pixel
A UHD screen needs a pixel resolution of 3840 x 2160 pixel

Also, please do not use iDVD. Because it supports only SD resolution (if I am right) - that is only 768 x 576 (for PAL - NTSC is a bit different).

You can use iMove to make a HD or UHD movie. Just export as a MP4. Store onto an USB stick and play it by the flatscreen (supported by most devices).

Thorsten
kurious_kevin

Re: Enlarging to vector graphic from low res jpgs

Post by kurious_kevin »

Hi Thorsten,

Thanks for your always lucid, detailed, and prompt reply!

Yes, apparently some software companies have perceived this need, and created these conversions. Found three so far that are either net or Mac based.

Sis had luck with the pics on her memory stick, as you prophesied, so we're all set.

Thanks again, and best wishes for continued success!