[Solved] Rating set in GC is saved to EXIF & IPTC but not shown

Having tech problems? Post them here and do not worry, there is always a solution for you.
brightwolf

[Solved] Rating set in GC is saved to EXIF & IPTC but not shown

Post by brightwolf »

The star rating, when set from GC, is saved in EXIF and IPTC tags but not shown in the browser. When the star rating is set from FastRawViewer, it reflects correctly in GC browser.

1. I select an unrated photo and check that rating is "0" in the IPTC tab. There's no XMP section in data in the EXIFTool tab.
2. I select one star in the "general image data" side pane. The star rating is not visible in the browser. IPTC still shows "0" rating. There's no XMP section in the EXIFTool tab.
3. I select another photo and then come back to the first one. Star rating is still not visible in the browser. IPTC now shows "1" rating. EXIFTool tab now shows an XMP section with a rating of "1"
4. Now I select another unrated photo in GC and observe that no rating is showing in IPTC nor EXIFTool tabs.
5. In FastRawViewer I select and rate that photo (not that in FRV, in preferences I have set FRV to save XMP in the JPG)
6. When I switch back to GC, .the browser immediately shows the star rating under the photo. EXIFTool tab shows XMP with rating "1". IPTC shows rating "1".

This seems to be a bug.
forum_adm
Site Admin

Re: [Solved] Rating set in GC is saved to EXIF & IPTC but not shown

Post by forum_adm »

The XMP data for the rating is normally stored inside a JPEG following to the standard.
So, the additional sidecar file from FastRawViewer is ignored.

Just use the context menu entry top copy the xmp sidecar file into the JPEG.
brightwolf

Post by brightwolf »

I am aware of that and FastRawViewer is storing the rating inside the JPG, not in a sidecar. The behaviour as explained above happens in GC, and is unexpected, since all the actions I am doing, I am doing from GC.

Star rating set from GC --> Rating stored correctly in JPG but not shown correctly in browser
Star rating set from FRV --> Rating stored correctly in JPG AND shown correctly in browser

It is more a browser / display problem rather than a sidecar / XMP problem, I suppose.
forum_adm
Site Admin

Post by forum_adm »

I am a bit confused. I see here the star rating in the browser.
brightwolf

Post by brightwolf »

Hi Thorsten, I made a screen recording in which you can see what I mean. How can I share it with you?