Using GC10 for DM as Aperture replacement?

Having tech problems? Post them here and do not worry, there is always a solution for you.
msadesign

Using GC10 for DM as Aperture replacement?

Post by msadesign »

In looking to replace Aperture I never actually considered GC, which I've owned for years (decades?) but never considered the app for asset management. However, on reading a recent post at www.macintouch.com, where a reader has used GC to manage his library, apparently I needed to look again at an application that I have used consistently over the years, but not for this.

Anyway, I opened the manual that comes with v10, where I saw this: "…you can now access the Aperture library…", which was terrific news.

But how? I didn't see the quoted text anywhere in the manual. What am I missing? I tried double-clicking my library.aplibrary in Browser mode in GC10 with no effect, and I tried pointing GC10 to the same file through the Open dialog.

So the question is: Can GC10 actually open Aperture library files? If so, how? And does it do any sort of conversion on the file, or is it still usable in Aperture?

Michael
Screen shot of GC10 Manual
Screen shot of GC10 Manual
GC opening Aperture lib.jpg (20.42 KiB) Viewed 2808 times
forum_adm
Site Admin

Re: Using GC10 for DM as Aperture replacement?

Post by forum_adm »

I use the Apple Media Framework for this.

So, the Aperture library appears (if available) in the folder tree of the browser:
aperture.jpg
aperture.jpg (41.95 KiB) Viewed 2806 times
You may have to select the location manually in the prefs part browser/library (if you moved the library):
prefs.jpg
prefs.jpg (78.72 KiB) Viewed 2806 times