Geocoding on Maps

Having tech problems? Post them here and do not worry, there is always a solution for you.
rollbahn

Geocoding on Maps

Post by rollbahn »

HI,
I am returning to Graphic Converter from probably 10 years ago and so just going through all the features again. I use Capture One for my photos but I am looking at GC to do my GPS and EXIF editing. I shoot film and so need to add this data to the scans myself.

I have been through the Maps and in a way it works but it does seem a little backward in the workflow so I am thinking I may not be doing things incorrectly.

I have a set of 100 test photos from a recent trip to Japan and I am GPS encodng them one by one (where needed or in bulk) but it seems I can't find search and find the exact area I want in the Maps section on the right of the browser without first highlighting an image in the browser, which is sort of opposite to all other mapping systems I have used where you find the spot you want on the map first and then simply drag the photos on to that spot on the map and you're done.

In GC I have to highlight one image, then search for example "Shibuya" then that marks that image in Shibuya but I am not wanting it there I want to put the images on the Shibuya Scramble Crossing. So I then have to move and zoom around the map to find that area, then hold the mouse to re=place the needle at that point. When I do that it zooms all the way back out and asks me to overwrite the GPS again. I then have to zoom all the way in to where I was and do the next one that was shot around the same area.

I'd love to keep using the mapping in GC to keep things simple but at the moment I use an app called HoudahGeo and it is a simple matter of finding the spot on the map, dragging the images and dropping there, writing to the EXIF and I'm done.

Also I can't find out how to change to Google Maps or Apple Maps in the preferences as mentioned in the pdf manual? Whatever the default of the Maps is that I am using is very low-res on the satellite view and can't find some of the tokyo suburbs eg a search for "Yutenji" yields zero results despite it appearing on the map - both Apple and Google Maps work.

Thanks for your help
forum_adm
Site Admin

Re: Geocoding on Maps

Post by forum_adm »

Just select all files which should get the same location in the browser.
Use the map, zoom in and set the position for all selected files at the same time.

Also, you can use copy/gps and paste/gps if you have already have a file with a valid location.

Or use the inverse geo-coding if you files have already valid city, country and street entries.

You have to stay with AppleMaps. Because the GoogleMaps SDK is not compatible with the latest macOS (you will get artifacts in the display).
rollbahn

Post by rollbahn »

Thanks for the reply.

The issue is in practice it's not quite as simple as that. In my example I have roughly 800 photos from a trip to Japan that I want to geotag.

My process is that I highlight the five photos I have of the scramble crossing in Shibuya *for example) in the browser on the left and I then type in Shibuya in the maps search field.

GC then marks those images at that spot automatically. I then have to zoom in and find where the actual crossing is in Shibuya and move the pin to that spot, click and hold the mouse to choose that spot and then a window pops up asking me to Overwrite All of the data for the new data at the correct spot.

After I say yes to Overwriting that data the entire Map zooms way out again. I then have to triple click or more to get back to the zoom amount where I was before and be able to find the next location where the next photo was taken.

I've just gone through 5 or more clicks to do one simple thing and the thought of doing that for the rest of the photos is not pretty.

If the Map didn't require me to highlight an image first I could have just gone to the exact spot that I want, dragged and dropped the images on the scramble crossing on the map and I would be done. And as long as the map didn't automatically zoom back out again like it does now, I would shift it over to the spot where the next image was taken up the road and drag and drop that next image and so on.

Also when I open the Apple Maps app on OSX, the satellite imagery is vastly more clear than what it appears in GC - maybe they don't allow 3rd party apps the same quality data but I've never seen that in other apps I've used?

Lastly as mentioned, when I search for the Tokyo suburb of "Yutenji" in Apple Maps it finds the correct place but when I do that in GC in the search field I get nothing - no movement on the map and no visual feedback to say what has happened or not happened.

Thanks again for your help.
forum_adm
Site Admin

Post by forum_adm »

Thanks for your detailed reply.

I add that to the todo list.

Thorsten
rollbahn

Post by rollbahn »

Thanks Thorsten