TIFF files show as black icon

Having tech problems? Post them here and do not worry, there is always a solution for you.
DeweyV

TIFF files show as black icon

Post by DeweyV »

I have an annoying issue that happens only with TIFF files.
My Mac OSX 11.6 El Capitan system on two different Mac Minis cannot see the Icon preview of a TIFF file except as a solid black thumbnail . In a FInder window or even on the Desktop proper, the TIFF' thumbnails are solid black. Graphic Converter sees them just fine in a Browser. I'm using 10.6.6 beta currently , but this also happened in earlier stable releases 10.6.5 etc.

The files all open correctly in any photo edittiong app...GC , Preview, Affinity Photo. It's only the icon preview thumbnail; that is black. I'm sure this is some kind of Color Profile mismatch , but what ?

Is there a workaround for this?
Am I not using the proper settings for saving as a TIFF in GraphicConverter... all those numerical Options for the TIFF format are confusing. I attached a screen shot of my TIFF option window. Except I believe this happens outside of GraphicConverter to begin with.

I would like a way to restore the true color TIFF icons so that the entire Mac system can read them .

thx

DESKTOP example of issue:
Desktop-blackTIFFicons-SS.png
Desktop-blackTIFFicons-SS.png (150.15 KiB) Viewed 2503 times
FINDER window example of issue:
FinderWindow-blackTIFFicons-SS.png
FinderWindow-blackTIFFicons-SS.png (195.48 KiB) Viewed 2503 times
my save as TIFF Options dialogue:
TIFF options-GC.png
TIFF options-GC.png (89.91 KiB) Viewed 2501 times

-done-
forum_adm
Site Admin

Re: TIFF files show as black icon

Post by forum_adm »

Hi,

what happens if you save with no compression?

Thorsten