Very slow performance on my iMac Pro

Having tech problems? Post them here and do not worry, there is always a solution for you.
ronmar

Very slow performance on my iMac Pro

Post by ronmar »

Hello,
I'm *beyond* frustrated trying to use GC lately. I've been a satisfied user for years but am now at the point where GC is useless to me. My iMac Pro has a 2.3 GH Intel Processor and is running Mojave, 10.14.2, with 128 GB of memory. GC is 10.6.7.

My problem occurs when I try to use the "Adjust" mode when processing a photo. I usually only use the "Contrast" adjustment and the "Gamma" adjustment when in that mode and have previously been able to use the up and down arrows to adjust the value of both the Contrast and the Gamma. Now, however, when I click on the up or down arrow, I get the spinning beachball for 10-15 secs before I can click once again. Once the beachball disappears, I click again and, once again, the beachball reappears for another 10-15 seconds. As I said...useless.

I came to this site about an hour ago and learned about the GraphicConverter First Aid so I downloaded it and trashed the prefs. No difference.

As I said, I've used GC for years and it's *all* I use to process my photos. I hoping that one of the many users on this site can suggest a solution to my problem.

TIA
forum_adm
Site Admin

Re: Very slow performance on my iMac Pro

Post by forum_adm »

Hi,

did you check the check box: Fast Mode?
That will use the GPU accelerated code.

Thorsten
Screen Shot 2018-12-30 at 08.36.41.jpg
Screen Shot 2018-12-30 at 08.36.41.jpg (50.24 KiB) Viewed 4664 times
ronmar

Post by ronmar »

Yes, Thorsten. The check box is always checked. To complicate matters, the problem is apparently erratic/random because just after I read your suggestion and went into the "Adjust" mode for a photo, I could click on any of the up or down arrows and there was 0 lag time at all.
Perhaps the problem only occurs when I want to process my photos. ;)

Seriously, I've tried restarting my computer, restarting GC, killing processes (photolibraryd, photoanalysisd and bztransmit) on the Activity Monitor and sometimes the problem would disappear for 10 or 15 minutes. But I could never pin down one single action that would work *every* time and last more that a few minutes.

Thanks for your quick response, Thorsten. I hope you can figure it out because I'm completely stymied.

ronmar
forum_adm
Site Admin

Post by forum_adm »

Is here maybe any log/message in the console during the slowdown?

Do you use any antivirus software?
ronmar

Post by ronmar »

Thorsten, I'm afraid I'm not very familiar with using the console effectively. Is there a particular section I should be checking? Today, the problem is continuing to appear and disappear. I get periods where I'm able to use GC for 30 minutes with no spinning beachball and then the problem reappears and it's 10 to 15 seconds delay with every click on an up or down arrow.
forum_adm
Site Admin

Post by forum_adm »

Just go to Applications/Utilities/ and launch Console.app
Clear the console
Start the editing with GraphicConverter
Save the console.log upon the delay and e-mail it to support@lemkesoft.de