Rotate image not working in browser ( 10.6.9)

Having tech problems? Post them here and do not worry, there is always a solution for you.
DeweyV

Rotate image not working in browser ( 10.6.9)

Post by DeweyV »

Hi--
For some reason , since the last update to 10.6.9 this week, the Rotate Left and Rotate Right functions have quit working in the Browser. Doesn't matter if it is just one file or a batch select. It appears to work and do the calculation ( Activity Monitor shows this as well ) , but nothing happens. Image remains the same.

I have tried quitting the app and rebooting the Mac, but the problem persists.

-------

OS 10.11.6 El Capitan ; updated GC to 10.6.9
forum_adm
Site Admin

Re: Rotate image not working in browser ( 10.6.9)

Post by forum_adm »

Hi,

I just rechecked and the rotation works perfectly.

Please e-mail two sample images zipped to support@lemkesoft.de

Thorsten
DeweyV

Post by DeweyV »

THORSTON-
It appears the problem may be with one of my cameras, not your App. And only in one instance.

I downloaded a fresh copy of 10.6.9 and reinstalled it. Then opened up some Folders of images in the fresh browser.
The issue of not having Rotation is unique to one folder of images, shot with the same camera, a single setup ( copying 35mm slides to digitize them ).

Rotate left and Rotate Right work perfectly in all other image Folders, even a folder of original JPEG's shot with that same camera the same day ! So it seems the issue is isolated to one camera one setup one instance.

---
I checked thru every line of EXIF data and found no discrepancies for that batch of images that woud not work. I attempted to alter EXIF data to see if something was written wrong or stuck , and got no solution.

When I open any of the images that refused to rotate as a browser thumbnail as full size image, Rotation works just fine.

So I think the issue is entirely on my end in one of my Nikon cameras .

DV
forum_adm
Site Admin

Post by forum_adm »

Dear Dewey,

thanks for testing.

I checked your e-mailed files. They rotate here perfectly.
Please check the read/write permissions of the problem files.

Thorsten
DeweyV

Re: SOLVED : Rotate image not working in browser ( 10.6.9)

Post by DeweyV »

Thorston-
I solved it.
Or at least found a solid workaround.

In a browser window, I CMD+click selected all the images that needed to be rotated, but previously had failed to do work. 79 images, actually.

Then I applied the " Rebuild Metadata " command from the Browser actions submenu.

GC then produced a new copy of all the files with the same name . And left a second duplicate file of the same name of each, appended with ..._original. ( The thumbnails of the _original copy files had a new black border ) Since the original files were still highlighted as selections , reapplying the desired " Rotate Left" command from the Browser menu worked as expected.

After deleting all those ..._original copy files, I had what I wanted.

The Rebuild Metadata command completely fixed this issue.

If that helps you or the next guy....

DV