Setting GPS with GC Map in browser

Having tech problems? Post them here and do not worry, there is always a solution for you.
PakkyT

Setting GPS with GC Map in browser

Post by PakkyT »

Latest Mac OS and GC versions. In the browser I select a photo that does not have GPS coordinates so that it is highlighted. I use the map in the lower right to find the location. I then click on and hold for several seconds on a spot of the map, but GC does not update the coordinately as I understand it should.

Also trying to move an existing pin on another photo I can not figure out how to do it consistently. Press and Hold doesn't work at all. And sometimes double clicking on the pin will put it in move-mode but I often have to double click a bunch of times and hope one of them works.

What am I missing?
forum_adm
Site Admin

Re: Setting GPS with GC Map in browser

Post by forum_adm »

Hi,

I just tried click and hold and the GPS position is set.
Also, I tried to move a pin and the GPS was changed.

Do you only select one item in the browser?

Thorsten
PakkyT

Post by PakkyT »

Yes, I am making sure to only select one item in the browser.

If I select a single photo and then type in a search item, it will geotag the selected photo with that search result, so that part works fine. But I can not use the Map to select a spot to geotag a non-GPS tagged photo. And when I try to move an existing pin to its actual location, clicking and holding on another spot on the map only shows the little "grabbing hand" icon that shows you can move the map around. And trying to select the pin to move the pin itself is very hit or miss. I am using a new 2019 iMac and the new wireless Apple mouse that comes with it. Now sure if that makes a difference or not, but I may plug in a standard wired USB mouse later to see if it makes any difference.

This is an important feature for me as on my prior iMac and GC9, I depended heavily on using Google Earth and the GC feature to Geotag using the current Earth Location. But that feature is no longer available, so being able to easily geotag with the GC map is something I really am interested in getting working under GC11. It is one of my key workflow steps with my photography.
PakkyT

Post by PakkyT »

Follow up to the post I just made (awaiting moderation). I have absolutely NO IDEA why this would matter or not. But I discovered the issue. When I use the new mouse on my mouse pad (standard rubber type one custom printed with one of my photos on it) I get the behavior I described (click and hold gives me the hand icon to move the map around). When I moved the mouse off my mouse pad onto my bare desk top (basically flat black) now the map features work perfectly. I can click and hold to set location no problem and it is very easy to select the pin to move it.

Have you ever heard of that one before? Who would of thought a mouse pad would affect the way the Apple optical mouse behaves? Sorry for the false alarm, but something to keep in the back of your mind next time someone is having weird issues selecting in GC with their mouse. Ask them if they are using a mouse pad.
forum_adm
Site Admin

Post by forum_adm »

Really curious. I never heard of such an issue.