[Solved] Duplicating transparent icons in regular interval

Having tech problems? Post them here and do not worry, there is always a solution for you.
edswing

[Solved] Duplicating transparent icons in regular interval

Post by edswing »

I have an icon (60x60, 300dpi) with transparency (PNG format). I want to duplicate the icon at regular intervals (with gaps) along a horizontal line.However, I cannot seem to get the icons to be at exact intervals.

What I have tried:
Expand the image to 540x60 to allow for the multiple icons. Original icon remains in the center. (so far so good). Select picture content (selects the original icon), Copy.
Paste. Second copy appears at a random location in the horizontal. I try to move the pasted icon (with the shift key down so it doesn't move vertically). But I cannot determine where to put the second icon. Is there a way to show the relative position of the selection?
Go back to first step, turn on Grid (size 60), and select Snap to Grid with Display. Unfortunately, the paste still arrives in a random location, and moving the second icon in regular increments doesn't help the problem.
Trying a different tactic, I highlight the original icon, and select Use as Fill Pattern. Then I try using a rectangle fill to get a regular grid. The icons appear as expected, BUT the transparency is gone (and the icon is complex enough that trying to add transparency to each individual icon is painful).

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you
forum_adm
Site Admin

Re: Duplicating transparent icons in regular interval

Post by forum_adm »

Just use Paste at Position:
Screen Shot 2019-09-12 at 21.35.03.jpg
Screen Shot 2019-09-12 at 21.35.03.jpg (76.29 KiB) Viewed 2428 times
edswing

Re: Duplicating transparent icons in regular interval

Post by edswing »

I knew there would be an easy way. Thanks!