How to create a text object

Having tech problems? Post them here and do not worry, there is always a solution for you.
mvanhorn

How to create a text object

Post by mvanhorn »

I'm editing a png file, and I put some text on it, and then I think I hit a key by accident and the text became a text object that I can move around on the screen. Now I'm adding some more text, but I can't get the text to become an object.

How do I turn the text into an object?
forum_adm
Site Admin

Re: How to create a text object

Post by forum_adm »

Text is by default an object. Do you see your new text in the text palette?

The text will be flattened and merged into the image data upon saving.

Only the GraphicConverter format keeps the text objects.
mvanhorn

Re: How to create a text object

Post by mvanhorn »

I type in the text, but when I click out of it, it just becomes part of the image (not an object that I can re-edit).

Eventually, I tried it again, and I think I managed to click in just the right spot, such that the object's boundary appeared, and then it appeared in the "Text Objects" list. All the other times, though, it happened as I describe above: when I click out of the area in which I'm typing, no boundary appears and it doesn't show up as an object in the Text Objects list. Once it's in the object list, when I save it as a PNG or a JPG, a warning comes up that it's going to get flattened, which makes sense. But if it happens as above, there is no warning (as if it was "pre-flattened" as soon as I finished typing).

I'm just not sure now where that special spot to click on is.