[Solved] Phantom Duplicates

Having tech problems? Post them here and do not worry, there is always a solution for you.
TomThumbFredsSon

[Solved] Phantom Duplicates

Post by TomThumbFredsSon »

I must admit that the primary way I use GC is the “Find Duplicates” function. I have collected massive volumes of low to medium resolution jpg’s from art sharing groups. As such, I get lots of duplicates. GC's Find Duplicates has always worked fine until recently. There are two artist's folders of images for which most, if not all images are being “duplicated in the eyes of the GC app”. The locations and file names are identical. I’ve searched through the files for anything I may have missed such as an extra space in a file or folder name that could explain the appearance of a duplicate. Nothing.

(Sidebar conversation: is there a way to attach a screenshot? My first time posting in this forum and I don't see a way to do that.)
Attachments
Screen Shot 2020-07-17 at 11.17.29 AM 1.png
Screen Shot 2020-07-17 at 11.17.29 AM 1.png (47.62 KiB) Viewed 1944 times
TomThumbFredsSon

Re: Phantom Duplicates

Post by TomThumbFredsSon »

I had the thought that perhaps an "alias folder" was the issue. Yes, one of the artists for whom I am experiencing this "Phantom" file issue does have an alias folder for his AKA, but many other artist's folders do as well. And there is a second artist with "Phantom" files for whom I did not create an alias folder.
macvf

Re: Phantom Duplicates

Post by macvf »

Hi,

Download the latest beta http://www.lemkesoft.org/beta.html

and at Duplicate search start check the "Ignore aliases and symlinks" option, maybe this will help removing the phantom files.
Duplicate.png
Duplicate.png (31.61 KiB) Viewed 1886 times
Philippe

French GraphicConverter localizer since 1994
Mac V.F. manager
French GraphicConverter forum administrator
English GraphicConverter forum administrator