[Solved] Some questions about v. 8.3

Having tech problems? Post them here and do not worry, there is always a solution for you.
gregl

[Solved] Some questions about v. 8.3

Post by gregl »

After buying a new Mac, I've moved from Cadintosh v. 7.0.2 to v. 8.3. I have three questions and one comment:

1. Is there a way to move the basepoint without going to the Edit menu? In the old version you could click on the x-y coordinate box to do that. Pulling down the menu each time slows things down. A keyboard command would be useful for this.

2. When setting the grid spacing, is there a way to do that to fractional dimensions? In the old version you could enter 1/16 and get that. In this version I only see decimal.

3. When dimensioning a drawing with a grid of 1/16 inch, if I measure off 1 inch, the dimension reads 1 1/64. Some, but not all, other dimensions read out similarly. I suspect this may be related to question number 2.

4. In Dimension > Creation > Precision, when working in inches, if I enter anything except 1/2 and close the box, it goes back to 1/2 the next time I open it. But this doesn’t seem to make a difference. Am I missing something here?

(Also, in the old version, when holding the shift key to move the view, the cursor changed to a grabber hand. I miss that.)

THANK YOU and thanks for great software!
forum_adm
Site Admin

Re: Some questions about v. 8.3

Post by forum_adm »

Hi,

many thanks for your feedback.

1) The base point is not displayed by default. The base point is normally not required due the infinite drawing area. You can only move it with the menu command.

2) Just change the edit units in dialogs to imperial first and enter the 1/16 as decimal 0.0625
Screen Shot 2017-12-19 at 08.03.04.jpg
Screen Shot 2017-12-19 at 08.03.04.jpg (47.54 KiB) Viewed 5512 times
3) Should be fixed with 2)

4) Is a bug. Will be fixed soon.

Thorsten
forum_adm
Site Admin

Post by forum_adm »

Please download the latest BETA 8.3.2.

That fixes the storage of the imperial unit precision.

http://www.lemkesoft.org/beta.html

Thorsten
gregl

Post by gregl »

Thanks for the help.

This is better. But I still have one question.

When I set the grid at 1/16 inch, and all the other precision settings to 1/16 (Options/Drawing/Precision; Dimension/Creation/Precision; and Grid), the x-y display only reads to 1/8 inch. So if I put the cursor on 15/16 inch, the x-y display reads 1 inch. If I put the cursor on 1 1/16 it reads to 1 1/8, and so on. If I set Options/Drawing/Precision to 1/32, then the x-y reads correctly. Is this a bug or am I not understanding something?

Also, the grid rounds off 1/16 when I enter .0625 to .063. I don't know yet if this will be a problem, but I don't think the old version did that.

Regarding the basepoint, the reason I like to move it is that it gives me an easy way to measure line length when drawing. I frequently move the base point around the drawing, setting zero at various points as I build the part. A keyboard command for this would be great (or putting it back into the x-y spot like v. 7.0.2).

Your software has helped me greatly with my projects. Thanks again and have a great Christmas.
gregl

Post by gregl »

Ah ha! Now I get it. The x-y goes to zero when you click to start a line. Very clever! Much better than v. 7.