[Solved] Using Imperial units with fractions?

Having tech problems? Post them here and do not worry, there is always a solution for you.
RoamingBob

[Solved] Using Imperial units with fractions?

Post by RoamingBob »

Are there easy pointers for doing scale drawings in imperial units?
I'd like to specify everything in feet, inches and fractional inches. How to enter these into the input bar?
I'd like the dimensioning to appear in the same manner - ft, in, fractional inches.
And I'd like the drawing to be rendered at 1/4 in = 1 ft for printing.
Any advice is welcome.
- Bob
italia389

Re: Using Imperial units with fractions?

Post by italia389 »

Don't know if this helps, but I use Imperial units with no problems. I'm not a CAD expert by any means, but I have Options -> Drawing set as follows:

Base Unit: inch
Type: Fraction
Precision (ANSI): 1/32
Unit of Dialog Edit Fields: imperial
Scale of Layer 1023: 1.00

and Options -> Dimension:

Unit: Alternate

With these settings, I can do everything in inches and fractions. Dimensions appear on the drawing in feet, inches, and fractions. If I need to enter a fraction, I just use an expression (for inches), e.g., 5 + 3 / 16.

Can't help you with the scaling question, but I always use Scale: 1:10 at the top of my drawing and am able to create drawings for my woodworking projects and print them without issue. Don't really understand what I'm doing half the time, though. :-]
RoamingBob

RoamingBob

Post by RoamingBob »

Thanks for your pointers.
I'll give it a try.
I'd love to be able to work in feet-inches-fractions-of-inches, but I'll give it a go with what you indicate for just doing everything in inches.
I work with someone who is used to drawings/drafting truly done to scale. So I was hoping the scaling factors could be used to accomplish that.
I see all this potential for CADINTOSH, but it does feel like so much of the potential needs further explanation/instruction.