IPTC Keywords Issues

This area contains the messages from the old Yahoo gcmac group after the port.
David Emme

IPTC Keywords Issues

Post by David Emme »

Attachments :1. Unexpected Behavior (GC UB 6.1 and 6.1.1): Keywords not always assigned as expected: a) Set up a single-level keyword and a two-level keyword in the Keywords window: A B -> C b) Set the Browser:Keywords preference "Setting a keyword sets the group name as keyword, too." c) Select two images (for sake of example, "img1" and "img2", both jpegs) in the browser. d) Drag keyword "A" from the Keywords window to img2 e) Drag keyword "C" from the Keywords window to img2 f) Inspect the keywords assigned to each image: img1 has "A" img2 has "A;C;B" So apparently single-level keyword are assigned (as I expected) to all images selected in the browser, but dual-level keywords are assigned only to the image they are dropped on. I expected these dual- level keywords to be assigned to all selected images, just as the single-level keywords are. 2) Enhancement Request(?) I would like an easy way to set both IPTC keywords and to edit the IPTC caption on a set of images. I can "Edit File Info (IPTC)" to allow me to edit both attributes. But when this window is open, I cannot use the Keywords window to add keywords; I cannot even expand a dual-level keyword in the Keywords window to view the available second-level keywords associated with a first-level keyword. So it seems that I must blind-type second-level keywords, rather than selecting them from my pre-defined canonical set. This can lead to typing/spelling errors and other non-standard keyword assignments. The other option seems to be to drag/drop keywords from the Keywords window to the images in the Browser, then open the "Edit File Info (IPTC)" window and assign captions as a separate operation. Certainly doable, but it would be more convenient to drag/drop from the Keywords window to the "Edit File Info (IPTC)" window. Or is there some existing method of doing these operations in a "single pass" that I've just overlooked? TIA, -Dave -- To be good is noble, but to show others how to be good is nobler, and no trouble. - Mark Twain