"Remove double orientation tags and reset them"

This area contains the messages from the old Yahoo gcmac group after the port.
Allen Huffman

"Remove double orientation tags and reset them"

Post by Allen Huffman »

Greetings, all. I have had an ongoing issue with photos on my Mac where the thumbnail would appear rotated, and when I went to rotate them back, the new image would be wrong. It would take several rotates before I finally got it working again. A minor, but nerve-racking, issue. A few weeks ago, I finally did a web search to try to find out what was causing this. I assumed some internal JPEG thumbnail was just not matching the image orientation, and thought there might be a simple fix through GraphicConverter. I ended up finding one blog post from 2004 that shed some light on this: http://tech.kateva.org/2004/10/graphicc ... -os-x.html That post explained a bug in Image Capture that would double orientation tags, and a GC update in 2004 added the ability to fix this. I have thousands of photos possibly effected by this old Apple bug, and GC crashes (looks like a memory leak) if I start it processing on my top level photo directories. I have been able to limp through by restarting after each sub-sub-sub-folder, and that seems to work. But I notice some file size differences, and that it seems to touch "all" photos. So I wonder: What is this actually doing to my JPEG photo files? Should it even be touching/rewriting files that do not contain the extra information? It seems it doesn't -- some folders come back lightning fast and others churn for a long time. (Perhaps some folders that are quick, just contain few photos.) Anyone know the internals? Thanks, much.