Wrong file creator

This area contains the messages from the old Yahoo gcmac group after the port.
havema1

Wrong file creator

Post by havema1 »

Hi, It seems that GraphicConverter 6.6.1 sets a wrong file creator compared to its preference Save/Settings/Use. If I set it to 8BIM, then it turns to BIM8 when I import jpegs from a digital camera. Is anyone else seeing this behaviour?? Older versions worked OK in this respect.
thorstenlemke

Re: Wrong file creator

Post by thorstenlemke »

Hello, please download the latest beta at: http://www.lemkesoft.org/beta.html Can you reproduce? Regards Thorsten Lemke > Von: havema1 <matti.haveri@gmail.com> > Antworten an: <gcmac@yahoogroups.com> > Datum: Mon, 01 Feb 2010 23:40:34 -0000 > An: <gcmac@yahoogroups.com> > Betreff: [gcmac] Wrong file creator > > Hi, > > It seems that GraphicConverter 6.6.1 sets a wrong file creator compared to its > preference Save/Settings/Use. > > If I set it to 8BIM, then it turns to BIM8 when I import jpegs from a digital > camera. > > Is anyone else seeing this behaviour?? Older versions worked OK in this > respect. >
havema1

Post by havema1 »

Hi, Same error with 6.6.2b17 as with 6.6.1: 8BIM turns to BIM8 GKON turns to NOGK i.e. the creator code is backwards. ...and in fact, now I see the same error even with 6.4.1 with my brand-new Intel Mac mini running Mac OS X 10.6.2. In my old PowerPC PowerBook G4 running Mac OS X 10.5.7 GC 6.4.1 was OK. I had copied my old PowerBook GC prefs to the Mac Mini but the error persists even if I delete com.lemkesoft.graphicconverter.plist and set the creator code from scratch. Is this some sort of endianness problem?? thanks, - Matti --- In gcmac@yahoogroups.com, Thorsten Lemke <lemke@...> wrote: > > Hello, > > please download the latest beta at: > http://www.lemkesoft.org/beta.html > > Can you reproduce? > > Regards > Thorsten Lemke > > > Von: havema1 <matti.haveri@...> > > Antworten an: <gcmac@yahoogroups.com> > > Datum: Mon, 01 Feb 2010 23:40:34 -0000 > > An: <gcmac@yahoogroups.com> > > Betreff: [gcmac] Wrong file creator > > > > Hi, > > > > It seems that GraphicConverter 6.6.1 sets a wrong file creator compared to its > > preference Save/Settings/Use. > > > > If I set it to 8BIM, then it turns to BIM8 when I import jpegs from a digital > > camera. > > > > Is anyone else seeing this behaviour?? Older versions worked OK in this > > respect. > > >
havema1

Post by havema1 »

A correction to my recent post. I wrote: > 8BIM turns to BIM8 That should of course be: 8BIM turns to MIB8 i.e. the creator code is backwards. - Matti --- In gcmac@yahoogroups.com, "havema1" <matti.haveri@...> wrote: > > Hi, > > Same error with 6.6.2b17 as with 6.6.1: > > 8BIM turns to BIM8 > GKON turns to NOGK > > i.e. the creator code is backwards. > > ...and in fact, now I see the same error even with 6.4.1 with my brand-new Intel Mac mini running Mac OS X 10.6.2. In my old PowerPC PowerBook G4 running Mac OS X 10.5.7 GC 6.4.1 was OK. > > I had copied my old PowerBook GC prefs to the Mac Mini but the error persists even if I delete com.lemkesoft.graphicconverter.plist and set the creator code from scratch. > > Is this some sort of endianness problem?? > > thanks, > > - Matti > > --- In gcmac@yahoogroups.com, Thorsten Lemke <lemke@> wrote: > > > > Hello, > > > > please download the latest beta at: > > http://www.lemkesoft.org/beta.html > > > > Can you reproduce? > > > > Regards > > Thorsten Lemke > > > > > Von: havema1 <matti.haveri@> > > > Antworten an: <gcmac@yahoogroups.com> > > > Datum: Mon, 01 Feb 2010 23:40:34 -0000 > > > An: <gcmac@yahoogroups.com> > > > Betreff: [gcmac] Wrong file creator > > > > > > Hi, > > > > > > It seems that GraphicConverter 6.6.1 sets a wrong file creator compared to its > > > preference Save/Settings/Use. > > > > > > If I set it to 8BIM, then it turns to BIM8 when I import jpegs from a digital > > > camera. > > > > > > Is anyone else seeing this behaviour?? Older versions worked OK in this > > > respect. > > > > > >
John Hill

Post by John Hill »

Matti, this is indeed a endian problem.I run an Intel iMac and have Basilisk installed (so as to be able to run Classic applications), and I see exactly the same phenomenon when moving files from one environment to the other.There are various work-arounds available in that situation (none of them neat) but I don't know how you would do it with your camera.I don't think that the blame can be laid at GC's door.  It's far more likely to be down to the change from your old PowerPC to an iMac.John. On 3 Feb 2010, at 22:04, havema1 wrote:   A correction to my recent post. I wrote: > 8BIM turns to BIM8 That should of course be: 8BIM turns to MIB8 i.e. the creator code is backwards. - Matti --- In gcmac@yahoogroups. com, "havema1" <matti.haveri@ ...> wrote: > > Hi, > > Same error with 6.6.2b17 as with 6.6.1: > > 8BIM turns to BIM8 > GKON turns to NOGK > > i.e. the creator code is backwards. > > ...and in fact, now I see the same error even with 6.4.1 with my brand-new Intel Mac mini running Mac OS X 10.6.2. In my old PowerPC PowerBook G4 running Mac OS X 10.5.7 GC 6.4.1 was OK. > > I had copied my old PowerBook GC prefs to the Mac Mini but the error persists even if I delete com.lemkesoft. graphicconverter .plist and set the creator code from scratch. > > Is this some sort of endianness problem?? > > thanks, > > - Matti > > --- In gcmac@yahoogroups. com, Thorsten Lemke <lemke@> wrote: > > > > Hello, > > > > please download the latest beta at: > > http://www.lemkesof t.org/beta. html > > > > Can you reproduce? > > > > Regards > > Thorsten Lemke > > > > > Von: havema1 <matti.haveri@ > > > > Antworten an: <gcmac@yahoogroups. com> > > > Datum: Mon, 01 Feb 2010 23:40:34 -0000 > > > An: <gcmac@yahoogroups. com> > > > Betreff: [gcmac] Wrong file creator > > > > > > Hi, > > > > > > It seems that GraphicConverter 6.6.1 sets a wrong file creator compared to its > > > preference Save/Settings/ Use. > > > > > > If I set it to 8BIM, then it turns to BIM8 when I import jpegs from a digital > > > camera. > > > > > > Is anyone else seeing this behaviour?? Older versions worked OK in this > > > respect. > > > > > >
havema1

Post by havema1 »

> I run an Intel iMac and have Basilisk installed (so as to be able to run Classic applications), and I see exactly the same phenomenon when moving files from one environment to the other. Glad to know that I'm not alone in this. But just to clarify: I'm not moving files between Macs -- I'm just downloading brand-new images straight from my Nikon & Canon cameras via GC to my Intel Mac mini. I guess one workaround would be to type the desired creator code backwards into GC's prefs ;-)
John Hill

Post by John Hill »

Yes, but you are moving them from one storage format (the camera) to another (the Mac).In my case, I can be looking at the *same file* from the OSX environment and the Basilisk/Classic environment and the type and creator get turned round. On occasions I've wanted to move a whole lot of files from OSX to the Basilisk disc image (that's how Basilisk works) and found that if I write them to CD under OSX they read OK from the CD in Basilisk. Presumably both OS interpret the intermediate (ISO) CD format correctly.If reversing the creator code works for you, go for it! And let me know - it might be useful information to stash away.I wonder of GC is applying the creator code *before* moving the file rather than afterwards? That could explain it...  Thorsten, only you would know that!John. On 4 Feb 2010, at 23:48, havema1 wrote:   > I run an Intel iMac and have Basilisk installed (so as to be able to run Classic applications) , and I see exactly the same phenomenon when moving files from one environment to the other. Glad to know that I'm not alone in this. But just to clarify: I'm not moving files between Macs -- I'm just downloading brand-new images straight from my Nikon & Canon cameras via GC to my Intel Mac mini. I guess one workaround would be to type the desired creator code backwards into GC's prefs ;-)
Burkhard Hoefling

Post by Burkhard Hoefling »

Dear all, the creator code problem can be reproduced just using the Intel version of GraphicConverter (both 6.6.1 and 6.6.2b17 debug). 1) Open Extended Preferences -> Save -> Settings, tick "Use", and type, say, GKON. 2) create a new file and save it This file has creator "NOKG". (If you have the developer tools installed, you can check this using 'GetFileInfo' in the terminal.) Note that if, under Extended Preferences -> Save -> Settings, you tick "Use GraphicConverter", or if you use the PPC version with Rosetta emuation, everything seems to work fine. This is definitely an endianness issue (creator codes aren't strings but 32 bit integers in Mac OS), and should be trivial for Thorsten to fix. In any case, the GC problem seems unrelated to possible (similar) Basilisk issues, or with moving or copying files. I hope that this helps to clarify the situation. Cheers, Burkhard.
thorstenlemke

Post by thorstenlemke »

Hi, I fixed the display issue with the file creator on intel macs: http://www.lemkesoft.org/beta/gc662b18ub_debug.dmg Thorsten > Von: havema1 <matti.haveri@gmail.com> > Antworten an: <gcmac@yahoogroups.com> > Datum: Wed, 03 Feb 2010 22:04:43 -0000 > An: <gcmac@yahoogroups.com> > Betreff: [gcmac] Re: Wrong file creator > > A correction to my recent post. I wrote: > >> 8BIM turns to BIM8 > > That should of course be: > > 8BIM turns to MIB8 > > i.e. the creator code is backwards. > > - Matti >
Gnarlodious

Post by Gnarlodious »

On 2/5/10, Thorsten Lemke <lemke@lemkesoft.de> wrote: > Hi, > > I fixed the display issue with the file creator on intel macs: > http://www.lemkesoft.org/beta/gc662b18ub_debug.dmg Is there any way to convert all images to Intel style datastream in one fell swoop? -- Gnarlie