GC e Apple Store

This area contains the messages from the old Yahoo gcmac group after the port.
Ermanno Polli

GC e Apple Store

Post by Ermanno Polli »

A while ago I purchased GC from the Apple Store. I was puzzled that GC downloaded from lemkesoft still ask me for a key. Even more, recently there was a new official version, 7.6.1, that didn't show in Apple Store. There is still the 7.6.0, there. It seem as GC from Apple Store is different from the Lemke one. It's really annoying. Is there a workaround? Ciao, Ermanno
thorstenlemke

Re: GC e Apple Store

Post by thorstenlemke »

Hello, Thanks for your e-mail. You have to download from the MAS. Apple does the license management if you order it there (as written on my website). Thorsten (important note: please always include this complete email in your reply) ----------------------------------------------------------------- Thorsten Lemke Lemke Software GmbH Zum Rohkamp 5e 31228 Peine Germany Phone: +49 5171 72200 (German) Phone: +49 5171 72202 (English) Mobile:+49 171 1420235 Fax: +49 5171 72201 WWW: http://www.lemkesoft.com E-Mail:lemke@lemkesoft.com facebook: http://www.facebook.com/Lemkesoft XING: http://www.xing.com/profile/Thorsten_Lemke Linkedin: http://www.linkedin.com/in/thorstenlemke Business details: Amtsgericht Hildesheim HRB 101500 Gescha�ftsfuhrer Dipl.-Ing. Thorsten Lemke USt.IdNr. DE813426251 ----------------------------------------------------------------- > Von: Ermanno Polli <erpol@mclink.it> > Antworten an: <gcmac@yahoogroups.com> > Datum: Fri, 27 Jan 2012 08:15:36 +0100 > An: <gcmac@yahoogroups.com> > Betreff: [gcmac] GC e Apple Store > > A while ago I purchased GC from the Apple Store. > I was puzzled that GC downloaded from lemkesoft still ask me for a key. > Even more, recently there was a new official version, 7.6.1, that didn't > show in Apple Store. There is still the 7.6.0, there. > > It seem as GC from Apple Store is different from the Lemke one. > > It's really annoying. > Is there a workaround? > > Ciao, > Ermanno
Christopher Stone

Post by Christopher Stone »

Greetings,On Jan 27, 2012, at 01:15, Ermanno Polli wrote: A while ago I purchased GC from the Apple Store.I was puzzled that GC downloaded from lemkesoft still ask me for a key. Even more, recently there was a new official version, 7.6.1, that didn't show in Apple Store. There is still the 7.6.0, there.It seem as GC from Apple Store is different from the Lemke one.Of course.It's really annoying.Is there a workaround?What's really annoying is that people are still fussing about this.Anyone who reads Macworld or similar Mac-related news sites has known about this issue since shortly after the Mac-App-Store opened.  One of the prices you pay by buying from the MAS is that you have to wait for Apple to approve new releases.  Many developers offer a non-app-store version, and these get out to the public much more quickly than the MAS version.THORSTEN: Please don't just mention that you say something on your site.  Please give a link or reference, so us poor mortals don't have to spend time finding it.http://www.lemkesoft.com/order.htmlMac App Store (only GraphicConverter)The app will be ordered, downloaded and updated from the Mac App Store. You have to delete any preinstalled trial or older version first. Updates of GraphicConverter will be delayed due the review process of the Mac App Store.This blurb plainly indicates that MAS versions of GC will be delayed.I admit that this information wasn't really easy to find and is not especially informative, but it is there.THORSTEN: It seem to me that you should have a FAQ or something that's a little more prominent and easier to find.--Best Regards,Chris
Ermanno Polli

Post by Ermanno Polli »

On 27/01/12 09:43, Christopher Stone wrote: > Greetings, > > On Jan 27, 2012, at 01:15, Ermanno Polli wrote: >> A while ago I purchased GC from the Apple Store. >> I was puzzled that GC downloaded from lemkesoft still ask me for a >> key. Even more, recently there was a new official version, 7.6.1, that >> didn't show in Apple Store. There is still the 7.6.0, there. >> >> It seem as GC from Apple Store is different from the Lemke one. > > Of course. > >> It's really annoying. >> Is there a workaround? > > What's really annoying is that people are still fussing about this. > > Anyone who reads Macworld or similar Mac-related news sites has known > about this issue since shortly after the Mac-App-Store opened. One of > the prices you pay by buying from the MAS is that you have to wait for > Apple to approve new releases. Many developers offer a non-app-store > version, and these get out to the public much more quickly than the MAS > version. Well, the one I read, dealing with Mac since middle '80-ies, said nothing about this issue. Neither the mailing list I follow since 2003. I could have overlooked it, though, but I'm pretty sure I haven't seen it. Actually I was hesitating in using the Apple Store and I gave it a try only recently (namely because of Lion). > > THORSTEN: Please don't just mention that you say something on your site. > Please give a link or reference, so us poor mortals don't have to spend > time finding it. > > http://www.lemkesoft.com/order.html > > *Mac App Store > <http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/graphicc ... s=1>*(only > GraphicConverter) > The app will be ordered, downloaded and updated from the Mac App Store. > You have to delete any preinstalled trial or older version first. > Updates of GraphicConverter*will be delayed*due the review process of > the Mac App Store. But the 7.6.0 was pretty fast, after the official announce. > > This blurb plainly indicates that MAS versions of GC will be delayed. > > I admit that this information wasn't /really/ easy to find and is not > especially informative, but it /is/ there. I read the license agreement but it was all legalese and was quite hard to understand. Those things are built to be there (those lawyers...) and most of the people just skip it. Ok. Now I got it and I'll keep it, but I will never buy at the Store. At least for the applications that are important to me. Ciao, Ermanno > > THORSTEN: It seem to me that you should have a FAQ or something that's a > little more prominent and easier to find. > > -- > Best Regards, > Chris > >
Christopher Stone

Post by Christopher Stone »

Hello Ermanno, On Jan 27, 2012, at 03:59, Ermanno Polli wrote: > Well, the one I read, dealing with Mac since middle '80-ies, said nothing about this issue. If you've only recently adopted Lion then perhaps you missed some of the brouhaha. The MAS has been dissected every which way over and over again. > Neither the mailing list I follow since 2003. There has been some discussion on this list too. > Actually I was hesitating in using the Apple Store and I gave it a try only recently (namely because of Lion). > ... > > Ok. Now I got it and I'll keep it, but I will never buy at the Store. At least for the applications that are important to me. I've downloaded many free items from the MAS and bought not a few. I wouldn't worry about using it. For MAS-only items it's a no-brainer. For other things just make certain there's not a disadvantage to buying from the MAS. Apple has rules about features that cannot be sold on the MAS, so some app-store versions are hamstrung to some extent. For instance BBEdit's command-line tools cannot be included with the app-store version. Some of these rules are idiotic, but who will change Apple's mind? -- Best Regards, Chris
Ermanno Polli

Post by Ermanno Polli »

On 27/01/12 15:54, Christopher Stone wrote: > Hello Ermanno, > > On Jan 27, 2012, at 03:59, Ermanno Polli wrote: >> Well, the one I read, dealing with Mac since middle '80-ies, said nothing about this issue. > > If you've only recently adopted Lion then perhaps you missed some of the brouhaha. The MAS has been dissected every which way over and over again. I don't go there often, indeed. Lion has been such a change I'm still thinking if it's worth to install it on my other Mac's. > >> Neither the mailing list I follow since 2003. > > There has been some discussion on this list too. Seems I miss it. I surely would have opened my eyes, on seen such a "deal". > >> Actually I was hesitating in using the Apple Store and I gave it a try only recently (namely because of Lion). >> ... >> >> Ok. Now I got it and I'll keep it, but I will never buy at the Store. At least for the applications that are important to me. > > I've downloaded many free items from the MAS and bought not a few. Same for me. Ahh.. that evergrenn named Monkey Island.. :-) > > I wouldn't worry about using it. For MAS-only items it's a no-brainer. For other things just make certain there's not a disadvantage to buying from the MAS. If I knew it in advance, I would have purchased GC form Thornsten' site, like I did with GC6 and GC5. > > Apple has rules about features that cannot be sold on the MAS, so some app-store versions are hamstrung to some extent. > > For instance BBEdit's command-line tools cannot be included with the app-store version. Some of these rules are idiotic, but who will change Apple's mind? Who knows why... Steve was not so rational every now ad then... Fear of OS X being hacked with text editor commands inside a bash(or tcsh) script? ;-) Ok we're tremendously OT.. Let's stop here 'fore Thornsten whacks our hands. > > -- > Best Regards, > Chris > Ciao, Ermanno > > > ------------------------------------ > > Yahoo! Groups Links > > > >