UnSkew how to select ?

This area contains the messages from the old Yahoo gcmac group after the port.
Rita

UnSkew how to select ?

Post by Rita »

Okay, here is a small issue. I have a few files, yes, the same files. And I wanted to Unskew a few pages. Problem is I can't get the Unskew to work. When I go to Effect > Unskew it is not active, so i can't choose it ? I also wanted to know if it is possible to do this in a batch, if each file in a folder, might be a different unskew ? I'm thinking no, but thought I'd ask. Is there some setting that gets Unskew active so I can choose it ? Thanks again for all your help on here. ~Rita
Alfred J Treder

Re: UnSkew how to select ?

Post by Alfred J Treder »

Rita,I never have used Unskew in GC, but I wonder: have you selected the image area in the open file when you look in the menu? The only software i use for individually adjusting images is Photoshop and Bridge and Lightroom, where it is possible to do some manipulations on a selection of files all at once, but for straightening and cropping I always do each one individually. Sometimes a crop could be done the same on all, but I wonder about rotation. If your copy setup got you the same errors in each frame, then a batch operation would make sense, but I don't know how to do that in GC. Al“ Being defeated is often a temporary condition. Giving up is what makes it permanent.”-- Marilyn vos Savant On Feb 17, 2012, at 5:29 PM, Rita wrote:   Okay, here is a small issue. I have a few files, yes, the same files. And I wanted to Unskew a few pages. Problem is I can't get the Unskew to work. When I go to Effect > Unskew it is not active, so i can't choose it ? I also wanted to know if it is possible to do this in a batch, if each file in a folder, might be a different unskew ? I'm thinking no, but thought I'd ask. Is there some setting that gets Unskew active so I can choose it ? Thanks again for all your help on here. ~Rita
Robert Poland

Post by Robert Poland »

Rita, If I'm not mistaken, the image must be millions of colors for unskew to work. Sent from my iPad Bob Poland On Feb 17, 2012, at 6:29 PM, "Rita" <littleflowersfamily@yahoo.com> wrote: > > Okay, here is a small issue. > > I have a few files, yes, the same files. And I wanted to Unskew a few pages. > > Problem is I can't get the Unskew to work. > > When I go to Effect > Unskew it is not active, so i can't choose it ? > > I also wanted to know if it is possible to do this in a batch, if each file in a folder, might be a different unskew ? I'm thinking no, but thought I'd ask. > > Is there some setting that gets Unskew active so I can choose it ? > > Thanks again for all your help on here. > > ~Rita > > > > ------------------------------------ > > Yahoo! Groups Links > > >
Rita

Post by Rita »

Ouch, this does hurt ! This image is black and white now after being run through another program to clean it up! :( oh no, how does one unskew now that it's too late ! Eek! ? I guess I"m outta luck right ? ~Rita --- In gcmac@yahoogroups.com, Robert Poland <rpoland@...> wrote: > > Rita, > > If I'm not mistaken, the image must be millions of colors for unskew to work. > > Sent from my iPad > Bob Poland > > On Feb 17, 2012, at 6:29 PM, "Rita" <littleflowersfamily@...> wrote: > > > > > Okay, here is a small issue. > > > > I have a few files, yes, the same files. And I wanted to Unskew a few pages. > > > > Problem is I can't get the Unskew to work. > > > > When I go to Effect > Unskew it is not active, so i can't choose it ? > > > > I also wanted to know if it is possible to do this in a batch, if each file in a folder, might be a different unskew ? I'm thinking no, but thought I'd ask. > > > > Is there some setting that gets Unskew active so I can choose it ? > > > > Thanks again for all your help on here. > > > > ~Rita > > > > > > > > ------------------------------------ > > > > Yahoo! Groups Links > > > > > > >
Rita

Post by Rita »

Thanks Al, I did select the open area, seems the problem is the file is now black and white ? Do you use photoshop to unskew ? That would be interesting if it could be done ? 'sigh' ~Rita --- In gcmac@yahoogroups.com, Alfred J Treder <altreder@...> wrote: > > Rita, > > I never have used Unskew in GC, but I wonder: have you selected the image area in the open file when you look in the menu? > > The only software i use for individually adjusting images is Photoshop and Bridge and Lightroom, where it is possible to do some manipulations on a selection of files all at once, but for straightening and cropping I always do each one individually. Sometimes a crop could be done the same on all, but I wonder about rotation. If your copy setup got you the same errors in each frame, then a batch operation would make sense, but I don't know how to do that in GC. > > Al > > " Being defeated is often a temporary condition. Giving up is what makes it permanent." > > -- Marilyn vos Savant > > > > > On Feb 17, 2012, at 5:29 PM, Rita wrote: > > > Okay, here is a small issue. > > I have a few files, yes, the same files. And I wanted to Unskew a few pages. > > Problem is I can't get the Unskew to work. > > When I go to Effect > Unskew it is not active, so i can't choose it ? > > I also wanted to know if it is possible to do this in a batch, if each file in a folder, might be a different unskew ? I'm thinking no, but thought I'd ask. > > Is there some setting that gets Unskew active so I can choose it ? > > Thanks again for all your help on here. > > ~Rita >
Alfred J Treder

Post by Alfred J Treder »

Rita,If that's the problem, I think there is a solution. You declare the file to be 16 bit color. It won't change in appearance, but will be much larger. Apparently that gives GC room to operate, so to speak. Like creating workspace. When done manipulating, you can redfine the file as grey-scale (which is probably what you meant, rather than strictly black-and-white, right?). Al“ The future ain't what it used to be. ”-- Yogi Berra  On Feb 18, 2012, at 9:51 AM, Rita wrote:   Thanks Al, I did select the open area, seems the problem is the file is now black and white ? Do you use photoshop to unskew ? That would be interesting if it could be done ? 'sigh' ~Rita --- In gcmac@yahoogroups.com, Alfred J Treder <altreder@...> wrote: > > Rita, > > I never have used Unskew in GC, but I wonder: have you selected the image area in the open file when you look in the menu? > > The only software i use for individually adjusting images is Photoshop and Bridge and Lightroom, where it is possible to do some manipulations on a selection of files all at once, but for straightening and cropping I always do each one individually. Sometimes a crop could be done the same on all, but I wonder about rotation. If your copy setup got you the same errors in each frame, then a batch operation would make sense, but I don't know how to do that in GC. > > Al > > " Being defeated is often a temporary condition. Giving up is what makes it permanent." > > -- Marilyn vos Savant > > > > > On Feb 17, 2012, at 5:29 PM, Rita wrote: > > > Okay, here is a small issue. > > I have a few files, yes, the same files. And I wanted to Unskew a few pages. > > Problem is I can't get the Unskew to work. > > When I go to Effect > Unskew it is not active, so i can't choose it ? > > I also wanted to know if it is possible to do this in a batch, if each file in a folder, might be a different unskew ? I'm thinking no, but thought I'd ask. > > Is there some setting that gets Unskew active so I can choose it ? > > Thanks again for all your help on here. > > ~Rita >
Robert Poland

Post by Robert Poland »

Rita, There was an update that fixed that problem. You do have a backup, right? Sent from my iPad Bob Poland On Feb 18, 2012, at 10:50 AM, "Rita" <littleflowersfamily@yahoo.com> wrote: > Ouch, this does hurt ! > > This image is black and white now after being run through another program to clean it up! :( oh no, how does one unskew now that it's too late ! Eek! > > ? > > I guess I"m outta luck right ? > > ~Rita > > --- In gcmac@yahoogroups.com, Robert Poland <rpoland@...> wrote: >> >> Rita, >> >> If I'm not mistaken, the image must be millions of colors for unskew to work. >> >> Sent from my iPad >> Bob Poland >> >> On Feb 17, 2012, at 6:29 PM, "Rita" <littleflowersfamily@...> wrote: >> >>> >>> Okay, here is a small issue. >>> >>> I have a few files, yes, the same files. And I wanted to Unskew a few pages. >>> >>> Problem is I can't get the Unskew to work. >>> >>> When I go to Effect > Unskew it is not active, so i can't choose it ? >>> >>> I also wanted to know if it is possible to do this in a batch, if each file in a folder, might be a different unskew ? I'm thinking no, but thought I'd ask. >>> >>> Is there some setting that gets Unskew active so I can choose it ? >>> >>> Thanks again for all your help on here. >>> >>> ~Rita >>> >>> >>> >>> ------------------------------------ >>> >>> Yahoo! Groups Links >>> >>> >>> >> > > > > > ------------------------------------ > > Yahoo! Groups Links > > >
Rita

Post by Rita »

Hi Al, ah, okay, I'll try this setting. The file is black and white anyhow, so not grayscale, just text. But, I'll see if this setting works. Thanks again, ~Rita --- In gcmac@yahoogroups.com, Alfred J Treder <altreder@...> wrote: > > Rita, > > If that's the problem, I think there is a solution. You declare the file to be 16 bit color. It won't change in appearance, but will be much larger. Apparently that gives GC room to operate, so to speak. Like creating workspace. When done manipulating, you can redfine the file as grey-scale (which is probably what you meant, rather than strictly black-and-white, right?). > > Al > > " The future ain't what it used to be. " > > -- Yogi Berra > > On Feb 18, 2012, at 9:51 AM, Rita wrote: > > Thanks Al, > I did select the open area, seems the problem is the file is now black and white ? > > Do you use photoshop to unskew ? That would be interesting if it could be done ? > > 'sigh' > > ~Rita > > --- In gcmac@yahoogroups.com, Alfred J Treder <altreder@> wrote: > > > > Rita, > > > > I never have used Unskew in GC, but I wonder: have you selected the image area in the open file when you look in the menu? > > > > The only software i use for individually adjusting images is Photoshop and Bridge and Lightroom, where it is possible to do some manipulations on a selection of files all at once, but for straightening and cropping I always do each one individually. Sometimes a crop could be done the same on all, but I wonder about rotation. If your copy setup got you the same errors in each frame, then a batch operation would make sense, but I don't know how to do that in GC. > > > > Al > > > > " Being defeated is often a temporary condition. Giving up is what makes it permanent." > > > > -- Marilyn vos Savant > > > > > > > > > > On Feb 17, 2012, at 5:29 PM, Rita wrote: > > > > > > Okay, here is a small issue. > > > > I have a few files, yes, the same files. And I wanted to Unskew a few pages. > > > > Problem is I can't get the Unskew to work. > > > > When I go to Effect > Unskew it is not active, so i can't choose it ? > > > > I also wanted to know if it is possible to do this in a batch, if each file in a folder, might be a different unskew ? I'm thinking no, but thought I'd ask. > > > > Is there some setting that gets Unskew active so I can choose it ? > > > > Thanks again for all your help on here. > > > > ~Rita > > >
Rita

Post by Rita »

I have backup of all my files, yes. But I'm not running the most current GC yet. For now I'm just using what works, to save more headaches, until the kinks are worked out. :) Thanks, ~Rita --- In gcmac@yahoogroups.com, Robert Poland <rpoland@...> wrote: > > Rita, > > There was an update that fixed that problem. > > You do have a backup, right? > > > Sent from my iPad > Bob Poland > > On Feb 18, 2012, at 10:50 AM, "Rita" <littleflowersfamily@...> wrote: > > > Ouch, this does hurt ! > > > > This image is black and white now after being run through another program to clean it up! :( oh no, how does one unskew now that it's too late ! Eek! > > > > ? > > > > I guess I"m outta luck right ? > > > > ~Rita > > > > --- In gcmac@yahoogroups.com, Robert Poland <rpoland@> wrote: > >> > >> Rita, > >> > >> If I'm not mistaken, the image must be millions of colors for unskew to work. > >> > >> Sent from my iPad > >> Bob Poland > >> > >> On Feb 17, 2012, at 6:29 PM, "Rita" <littleflowersfamily@> wrote: > >> > >>> > >>> Okay, here is a small issue. > >>> > >>> I have a few files, yes, the same files. And I wanted to Unskew a few pages. > >>> > >>> Problem is I can't get the Unskew to work. > >>> > >>> When I go to Effect > Unskew it is not active, so i can't choose it ? > >>> > >>> I also wanted to know if it is possible to do this in a batch, if each file in a folder, might be a different unskew ? I'm thinking no, but thought I'd ask. > >>> > >>> Is there some setting that gets Unskew active so I can choose it ? > >>> > >>> Thanks again for all your help on here. > >>> > >>> ~Rita > >>> > >>> > >>> > >>> ------------------------------------ > >>> > >>> Yahoo! Groups Links > >>> > >>> > >>> > >> > > > > > > > > > > ------------------------------------ > > > > Yahoo! Groups Links > > > > > > >