Batch Conversion

This area contains the messages from the old Yahoo gcmac group after the port.
joe_kl76

Batch Conversion

Post by joe_kl76 »

Hello, I'm trying to set up a batch conversion to convert a large number of photos into photos with an aspect ratio of 1:2.39. I understand that I can set up a custom conversion process in Convert and Modify by adding Batch Functions, but I was unable to find any mention in the manual as to what exactly the individual batch functions are doing. Would someone be so kind and give me a quick outline of what for example Trim, Smart Trim, Crop and Crop Region do exactly? Also: am I right in assuming that I have to set up a pair of "If" functions for each camera to determine if the image is 3:2 and then process? Many thanks, Joe
thorstenlemke

Re: Batch Conversion

Post by thorstenlemke »

Hello, I suggest the Bring To Size batch. You can define the size and a color for the borders (if required). Thorsten > Von: joe_kl76 <kotroczo@mac.com> > Antworten an: <gcmac@yahoogroups.com> > Datum: Tue, 20 Mar 2012 08:56:58 -0000 > An: <gcmac@yahoogroups.com> > Betreff: [gcmac] Batch Conversion > > Hello, > > I'm trying to set up a batch conversion to convert a large number of photos > into photos with an aspect ratio of 1:2.39. > > I understand that I can set up a custom conversion process in Convert and > Modify by adding Batch Functions, but I was unable to find any mention in the > manual as to what exactly the individual batch functions are doing. > > Would someone be so kind and give me a quick outline of what for example Trim, > Smart Trim, Crop and Crop Region do exactly? > > Also: am I right in assuming that I have to set up a pair of "If" functions > for each camera to determine if the image is 3:2 and then process? > > Many thanks, > Joe >
Joe Kotroczo

Post by Joe Kotroczo »

Hello, Thank you Thorsten. I've tried Bring To Size just now, but I must be overlooking something because it does not seem to work. The original size of the photos I've tried it with is 3648x2736 pixels, I've set the Bring To Size to Width: 3648, Height: 1526 and clicked on the middle one of the 9 squares. However, if I try to apply this to the pictures the result is still pictures with 3648x2736 pixels. What am I missing? Thanks, Joe On 20/03/2012 09:41, Thorsten Lemke wrote: > Hello, > > I suggest the Bring To Size batch. You can define the size and a color for > the borders (if required). > > Thorsten > > > Von: joe_kl76 <kotroczo@mac.com <mailto:kotroczo%40mac.com>> > > Antworten an: <gcmac@yahoogroups.com <mailto:gcmac%40yahoogroups.com>> > > Datum: Tue, 20 Mar 2012 08:56:58 -0000 > > An: <gcmac@yahoogroups.com <mailto:gcmac%40yahoogroups.com>> > > Betreff: [gcmac] Batch Conversion > > > > Hello, > > > > I'm trying to set up a batch conversion to convert a large number of > photos > > into photos with an aspect ratio of 1:2.39. > > > > I understand that I can set up a custom conversion process in Convert and > > Modify by adding Batch Functions, but I was unable to find any > mention in the > > manual as to what exactly the individual batch functions are doing. > > > > Would someone be so kind and give me a quick outline of what for > example Trim, > > Smart Trim, Crop and Crop Region do exactly? > > > > Also: am I right in assuming that I have to set up a pair of "If" > functions > > for each camera to determine if the image is 3:2 and then process? > > > > Many thanks, > > Joe > > > >
thorstenlemke

Post by thorstenlemke »

Hello, Ah - sorry. Use Max Size in this case. Bring to Size is for the other direction (small->large). Thorsten > Von: Joe Kotroczo <kotroczo@mac.com> > Antworten an: <gcmac@yahoogroups.com> > Datum: Tue, 20 Mar 2012 10:25:12 +0000 > An: <gcmac@yahoogroups.com> > Betreff: Re: [gcmac] Batch Conversion > > Hello, > > Thank you Thorsten. > > I've tried Bring To Size just now, but I must be overlooking something > because it does not seem to work. > > The original size of the photos I've tried it with is 3648x2736 pixels, > I've set the Bring To Size to Width: 3648, Height: 1526 and clicked on > the middle one of the 9 squares. However, if I try to apply this to the > pictures the result is still pictures with 3648x2736 pixels. What am I > missing? > > Thanks, > Joe >
Joe Kotroczo

Post by Joe Kotroczo »

Hello again, Unfortunately, that does not do what I want either. :-) With "Proportional" checked, the image stays 3:2. With "Proportional" unchecked, the image seems to be _stretched_? I've tried "Crop" now, and that does indeed what I was looking for. Just wondering: is there a way to set this up conditionally? For example: if Width = x then Height = x/y? (Where y=2.39 in this case, but could also be 1.85) Otherwise I guess I'll have to set up a Crop command for each camera that I might be getting photos from, and test with "If" which "Crop" is the correct one. Many thanks for your time. Joe. On 20/03/2012 10:27, Thorsten Lemke wrote: > Hello, > > Ah - sorry. Use Max Size in this case. > Bring to Size is for the other direction (small->large). > > Thorsten > > > Von: Joe Kotroczo <kotroczo@mac.com <mailto:kotroczo%40mac.com>> > > Antworten an: <gcmac@yahoogroups.com <mailto:gcmac%40yahoogroups.com>> > > Datum: Tue, 20 Mar 2012 10:25:12 +0000 > > An: <gcmac@yahoogroups.com <mailto:gcmac%40yahoogroups.com>> > > Betreff: Re: [gcmac] Batch Conversion > > > > Hello, > > > > Thank you Thorsten. > > > > I've tried Bring To Size just now, but I must be overlooking something > > because it does not seem to work. > > > > The original size of the photos I've tried it with is 3648x2736 pixels, > > I've set the Bring To Size to Width: 3648, Height: 1526 and clicked on > > the middle one of the 9 squares. However, if I try to apply this to the > > pictures the result is still pictures with 3648x2736 pixels. What am I > > missing? > > > > Thanks, > > Joe > > > >
thorstenlemke

Post by thorstenlemke »

Hello, Hmm, that should work. I will recheck after the initial V8 beta. That will be available soon. Thorsten > Von: Joe Kotroczo <kotroczo@mac.com> > Antworten an: <gcmac@yahoogroups.com> > Datum: Tue, 20 Mar 2012 11:01:46 +0000 > An: <gcmac@yahoogroups.com> > Betreff: Re: [gcmac] Batch Conversion > > Hello again, > > Unfortunately, that does not do what I want either. :-) > > With "Proportional" checked, the image stays 3:2. With "Proportional" > unchecked, the image seems to be _stretched_? > > I've tried "Crop" now, and that does indeed what I was looking for. > > Just wondering: is there a way to set this up conditionally? For > example: if Width = x then Height = x/y? (Where y=2.39 in this case, but > could also be 1.85) > > Otherwise I guess I'll have to set up a Crop command for each camera > that I might be getting photos from, and test with "If" which "Crop" is > the correct one. > > Many thanks for your time. > Joe. >
thorstenlemke

Post by thorstenlemke »

Hi Joe, I added now to the GC8 BETA a new batch: - scale to size with crop That will do exactly what you did request. Thorsten > Von: Joe Kotroczo <kotroczo@mac.com> > Antworten an: <gcmac@yahoogroups.com> > Datum: Tue, 20 Mar 2012 11:01:46 +0000 > An: <gcmac@yahoogroups.com> > Betreff: Re: [gcmac] Batch Conversion > > Hello again, > > Unfortunately, that does not do what I want either. :-) > > With "Proportional" checked, the image stays 3:2. With "Proportional" > unchecked, the image seems to be _stretched_? > > I've tried "Crop" now, and that does indeed what I was looking for. > > Just wondering: is there a way to set this up conditionally? For > example: if Width = x then Height = x/y? (Where y=2.39 in this case, but > could also be 1.85) > > Otherwise I guess I'll have to set up a Crop command for each camera > that I might be getting photos from, and test with "If" which "Crop" is > the correct one. > > Many thanks for your time. > Joe.