"First Steps" option issue

This area contains the messages from the old Yahoo gcmac group after the port.
pukkanana

"First Steps" option issue

Post by pukkanana »

Hi. I'm using GCMac 8 (808). This morning, I decided to change my options and have the Dialog Box open when GraphicConverter opens. I've always had that off, because usually I'm using the browser and it just opens where I was last. So today, I went into Preferences and checked the box to have the First Step open with the Dialog Box. But, every time I closed and re-started GC, it just opened a browser to the last folder. I checked and the First Step box was still checked. So, in an effort to get the Dialog Box to appear, I closed GC, went to Library, Preferences and trashed all GC plist files. Then I opened GC and the First Step Dialog Box opened. I tried it a couple of times, and then thought, I remember now why I don't want it, so I unchecked the box, closed GC and restarted. Okay, the First Step Dialog Box didn't appear, but neither did the Browser. I tried it several times, making sure I was browsing a folder I use a lot. But, GC just wouldn't open with browser window. The icon was in the dock, and it was showing up on the Menu bar - GC is open. Tapping on the dock showed Open..., Browse..., Browse Last as options. So I removed all the files, even the program and reinstalled version 7. I repeated my above steps. Same behavior, same problem. GC opens, but a browser window does not. Thankfully, yesterday, I had backed up my Library folder! So trashed everything and installed ver 8. Then I copied (4) plist files back to the preferences folder. I got back my old behavior. Now, I am leery about re-checking that First Step Dialog Box option. Is this normal behavior?? I don't remember how it used to function, because for quite a while, I have worked with the First Step Dialog option unchecked. For me, rechecking that box and un-checking it messes up the Start Up. Is there a setting I am over-looking? Like a setting to start with Browser Window at last folder browsed?? I've searched through all the preferences and can't seem to find something like that. I also searched the manual. Sorry for the length of the post, but I wanted to be sure to relay exactly what was happening. Thank you!!
Gordon Alley

Re: "First Steps" option issue

Post by Gordon Alley »

I think the reason that the the behavior changed (the browser not opening at start) is because you trashed the preference file(s). The next time you opened GC, it recreated its preference file with default settings. When you restored the old preference files from backups, you restored the setting which made the browser open at start, so you got the old behavior back. -Gordon On Mon, Apr 9, 2012 at 6:00 PM, pukkanana <pukkanana@yahoo.com> wrote: Hi. I'm using GCMac 8 (808). This morning, I decided to change my options and have the Dialog Box open when GraphicConverter opens.  I've always had that off, because usually I'm using the browser and it just opens where I was last. So today, I went into Preferences and checked the box to have the First Step open with the Dialog Box.  But, every time I closed and re-started GC, it just opened a browser to the last folder.  I checked and the First Step box was still checked.  So, in an effort to get the Dialog Box to appear, I closed GC, went to Library, Preferences and trashed all GC plist files.  Then I opened GC and the First Step Dialog Box opened.  I tried it a couple of times, and then thought, I remember now why I don't want it, so I unchecked the box, closed GC and restarted. Okay, the First Step Dialog Box didn't appear, but neither did the Browser.  I tried it several times, making sure I was browsing a folder I use a lot.  But, GC just wouldn't open with browser window.  The icon was in the dock, and it was showing up on the Menu bar - GC is open. Tapping on the dock showed Open..., Browse..., Browse Last as options. So I removed all the files, even the program and reinstalled version 7.  I repeated my above steps.  Same behavior, same problem. GC opens, but a browser window does not. Thankfully, yesterday, I had backed up my Library folder!  So trashed everything and installed ver 8.  Then I copied (4) plist files back to the preferences folder.  I got back my old behavior.  Now, I am leery about re-checking that First Step Dialog Box option. Is this normal behavior??  I don't remember how it used to function, because for quite a while, I have worked with the First Step Dialog option unchecked.  For me, rechecking that box and un-checking it messes up the Start Up.  Is there a setting I am over-looking?  Like a setting to start with Browser Window at last folder browsed??  I've searched through all the preferences and can't seem to find something like that.  I also searched the manual. Sorry for the length of the post, but I wanted to be sure to relay exactly what was happening. Thank you!! -- ________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________Gordon Alley :http://www.gordonalley.com:http://facebook.com/gordonalley:http://twitter.com/gordonalley:http://www.linkedin.com/in/gordonalley ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
pukkanana

Post by pukkanana »

Thank you for your post. That may be, but before that point, the First Step dialog box would not open up. That is the original issue. I deleted the plist files to at least get me back to what it was doing before. Now, I am afraid to check the First Step option to open the Dialog Box upon start up. Right now, GC does open to a browser at the last folder. But, if I don't think I will be able to toggle the First Step Dialog box - something is amiss because I cannot get a First Step Dialog Box. If I do, I will lose the ability to open with a browser window. My question(s) is it normal that after you uncheck the First Step Dialog box option, you can never get it back again? Because, no matter how many times I toggled that check box, I could not get the First Step Dialog Box to open first. I don't want to keep testing it - because, while I think I recorded the steps in correct order, what if the browser window behavior problem was before I trashed the plist files?! (I know, I do have backup!) Anyway, it would be nice to know if GC has an option somewhere that lets you choose which of the five First Step to open with - like instead of opening with a browser window, what if I want to open with creating a new image/graphic? How do I choose that instead of the browser if I can't get the First Step Dialog Box back? Thanks -- there are a lot of settings in GC to look through! --- In gcmac@yahoogroups.com, Gordon Alley <gordon.alley@...> wrote: > > I think the reason that the the behavior changed (the browser not opening > at start) is because you trashed the preference file(s). The next time you > opened GC, it recreated its preference file with default settings. When you > restored the old preference files from backups, you restored the setting > which made the browser open at start, so you got the old behavior back. > > -Gordon > > On Mon, Apr 9, 2012 at 6:00 PM, pukkanana <pukkanana@...> wrote: > > > Hi. I'm using GCMac 8 (808). > > This morning, I decided to change my options and have the Dialog Box open > > when GraphicConverter opens. I've always had that off, because usually I'm > > using the browser and it just opens where I was last. > > > > So today, I went into Preferences and checked the box to have the First > > Step open with the Dialog Box. But, every time I closed and re-started GC, > > it just opened a browser to the last folder. I checked and the First Step > > box was still checked. So, in an effort to get the Dialog Box to appear, I > > closed GC, went to Library, Preferences and trashed all GC plist files. > > Then I opened GC and the First Step Dialog Box opened. I tried it a > > couple of times, and then thought, I remember now why I don't want it, so I > > unchecked the box, closed GC and restarted. > > > > Okay, the First Step Dialog Box didn't appear, but neither did the > > Browser. I tried it several times, making sure I was browsing a folder I > > use a lot. But, GC just wouldn't open with browser window. The icon was > > in the dock, and it was showing up on the Menu bar - GC is open. Tapping on > > the dock showed Open..., Browse..., Browse Last as options. > > > > So I removed all the files, even the program and reinstalled version 7. I > > repeated my above steps. Same behavior, same problem. GC opens, but a > > browser window does not. > > > > Thankfully, yesterday, I had backed up my Library folder! So trashed > > everything and installed ver 8. Then I copied (4) plist files back to the > > preferences folder. I got back my old behavior. Now, I am leery about > > re-checking that First Step Dialog Box option. > > > > Is this normal behavior?? I don't remember how it used to function, > > because for quite a while, I have worked with the First Step Dialog option > > unchecked. For me, rechecking that box and un-checking it messes up the > > Start Up. Is there a setting I am over-looking? Like a setting to start > > with Browser Window at last folder browsed?? I've searched through all the > > preferences and can't seem to find something like that. I also searched > > the manual. > > > > Sorry for the length of the post, but I wanted to be sure to relay exactly > > what was happening. > > > > Thank you!! > > > > > -- > > * > ________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ > * > *Gordon Alley **:**http://www.gordonalley.com: > http://facebook.com/gordonalley:http:// ... ordonalley: > http://www.linkedin.com/in/gordonalley* > > * > ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯ > * >
thorstenlemke

Post by thorstenlemke »

Hi, You can enable is in the prefs part general/misc. Thorsten > Von: pukkanana <pukkanana@yahoo.com> > Antworten an: <gcmac@yahoogroups.com> > Datum: Wed, 11 Apr 2012 02:40:19 -0000 > An: <gcmac@yahoogroups.com> > Betreff: [gcmac] Re: "First Steps" option issue > > > My question(s) is it normal that after you uncheck the First Step Dialog box > option, you can never get it back again? Because, no matter how many times I > toggled that check box, I could not get the First Step Dialog Box to open > first. I don't want to keep testing it - because, while I think I recorded > the steps in correct order, what if the browser window behavior problem was > before I trashed the plist files?! (I know, I do have backup!) >
pukkanana

Post by pukkanana »

Ah - hah! Found the option I am talking about under Pref, Browser, Misc - Open Browser - !! I have Snow Leopard, so I guess it can behave differently under Lion... Thank you, Thorsten --- In gcmac@yahoogroups.com, Thorsten Lemke <lemke@...> wrote: > > Hi, > > You can enable is in the prefs part general/misc. > > Thorsten > > > > > Von: pukkanana <pukkanana@...> > > Antworten an: <gcmac@yahoogroups.com> > > Datum: Wed, 11 Apr 2012 02:40:19 -0000 > > An: <gcmac@yahoogroups.com> > > Betreff: [gcmac] Re: "First Steps" option issue > > > > > > My question(s) is it normal that after you uncheck the First Step Dialog box > > option, you can never get it back again? Because, no matter how many times I > > toggled that check box, I could not get the First Step Dialog Box to open > > first. I don't want to keep testing it - because, while I think I recorded > > the steps in correct order, what if the browser window behavior problem was > > before I trashed the plist files?! (I know, I do have backup!) > > >