Preferences Windows different to Hagens Manual 7.6

This area contains the messages from the old Yahoo gcmac group after the port.
msbuser

Preferences Windows different to Hagens Manual 7.6

Post by msbuser »

I am struggling w/ the latest version of GC. Being a user from the very beginning of GC I am starting to lose track of all features. I want to set the "Automated actions" "Refresh time" which supposed to be in "General" section of the browser preferences. However, on my system the preferences window looks different and the "General" section contains fewer options than shown in the manual. I am running GC 7.6.2 under OS X 10.7.3. How can I set the "Automated actions" on my system ? Thanks M.
thorstenlemke

Re: Preferences Windows different to Hagens Manual 7.6

Post by thorstenlemke »

Hello, The current version 7 has no refresh option in the browser. The file system does notify the browser and the changes will appear. The refresh was only required in the old carbon version (6.x). Thorsten > Von: msbuser <m.schleemann@msb.de> > Antworten an: <gcmac@yahoogroups.com> > Datum: Mon, 16 Apr 2012 21:16:04 -0000 > An: <gcmac@yahoogroups.com> > Betreff: [gcmac] Preferences Windows different to Hagens Manual 7.6 > > I am struggling w/ the latest version of GC. Being a user from the very > beginning of GC I am starting to lose track of all features. I want to set the > "Automated actions" "Refresh time" which supposed to be in "General" section > of the browser preferences. However, on my system the preferences window looks > different and the "General" section contains fewer options than shown in the > manual. > > I am running GC 7.6.2 under OS X 10.7.3. > > How can I set the "Automated actions" on my system ? > > Thanks > M. >
msbuser

Post by msbuser »

Thanks for clarification. It seems that a big portion of the so called 7.6 manual refers to the 6.x version, no wonder that I am confused. Now, what happens if the browsed files are stored on an SMB share ? When I open a browser on an SMB share it looks as if GC is periodically working. The rainbow ball appears every few seconds and significantly slows GC's response down. I hoped I could tweak this behavior. Any ideas ? Martin --- In gcmac@yahoogroups.com, Thorsten Lemke <lemke@...> wrote: > > Hello, > > The current version 7 has no refresh option in the browser. > > The file system does notify the browser and the changes will appear. > > The refresh was only required in the old carbon version (6.x). > > Thorsten >
thorstenlemke

Post by thorstenlemke »

Hello Martin, Do you still get the rainbow ball after the display of all previews? Thorsten > Von: msbuser <m.schleemann@msb.de> > Antworten an: <gcmac@yahoogroups.com> > Datum: Tue, 17 Apr 2012 09:31:07 -0000 > An: <gcmac@yahoogroups.com> > Betreff: [gcmac] Re: Preferences Windows different to Hagens Manual 7.6 > > > > Thanks for clarification. It seems that a big portion of the so called 7.6 > manual refers to the 6.x version, no wonder that I am confused. > > Now, what happens if the browsed files are stored on an SMB share ? > > When I open a browser on an SMB share it looks as if GC is periodically > working. The rainbow ball appears every few seconds and significantly slows > GC's response down. I hoped I could tweak this behavior. > > Any ideas ? > > Martin > >
msbuser

Post by msbuser »

Hello Thorsten, I rechecked the whole thing and noticed the following: I started GC and pointed the browser to a pic directory on the internal SDD. No problems. I pointed the browser to a small pic directory on the SMB share (41 pics) which appearently have previews generated. No problem. Then I ponted the browser to a bigger pic directory (300 pics). Now the ball shows up intermittendly. I noticed that the Kernel task goes up to 50-60% CPU, GC takes 10 %. I return the browser to the smaller pic directory. Situation remains the same. I go back to the pic dir on the internal SDD. Situation remains the same. Quitting and restarting GC (pointing again to the SDD dir): everything fine, GC at 0.1 % CPU. The pics are 18 MP jpgs from a Canon EOS 550. Does GC something in the background w/ directories the browser was using earlier ? Thanks for your input. Regards Martin --- In gcmac@yahoogroups.com, Thorsten Lemke <lemke@...> wrote: > > Hello Martin, > > Do you still get the rainbow ball after the display of all previews? > > Thorsten > > >
thorstenlemke

Post by thorstenlemke »

Hello, Can I get a sample file for testing? Thorsten > Von: msbuser <m.schleemann@msb.de> > Antworten an: <gcmac@yahoogroups.com> > Datum: Tue, 17 Apr 2012 12:08:33 -0000 > An: <gcmac@yahoogroups.com> > Betreff: [gcmac] Re: Preferences Windows different to Hagens Manual 7.6 > > Hello Thorsten, > > I rechecked the whole thing and noticed the following: > > I started GC and pointed the browser to a pic directory on the internal SDD. > No problems. I pointed the browser to a small pic directory on the SMB share > (41 pics) which appearently have previews generated. No problem. Then I ponted > the browser to a bigger pic directory (300 pics). Now the ball shows up > intermittendly. I noticed that the Kernel task goes up to 50-60% CPU, GC takes > 10 %. I return the browser to the smaller pic directory. Situation remains the > same. I go back to the pic dir on the internal SDD. Situation remains the > same. Quitting and restarting GC (pointing again to the SDD dir): everything > fine, GC at 0.1 % CPU. > >