Best Way and Best Options to Choose

This area contains the messages from the old Yahoo gcmac group after the port.
pukkanana

Best Way and Best Options to Choose

Post by pukkanana »

I have a bunch of clip art in WMF format. GC can read them and preview them, but most other Mac apps cannot. I want to convert them to PNG (I think that would be the best format, because I want them be able to make the background transparent if I want). The PNG seems to be a clearer image than jpg or gif. These files are not for the internet. My trouble is without changing any of the default options, when I convert the WMF to PNG, the resulting file is really big i.e. it goes from a file about 42KB to about 3.6 MG. It takes a while even for GC to make thumbnails of a small folder with about 80 files. For example both files say 13423x16000 @ 1000 ppi, 214.80 megapixel -but the WMF is 42K and the PNG is 3.6 MG - they both take a few seconds to open when you double-click. (For some reason, not all my WMF's convert to huge PNG's. But, all of the converted ones do get bigger.) What is the best options to choose? I don't know what the Interlaced, Filter, and Store options should be. I searched the manual, but couldn't find an answer or how to. So my questions are: What would be the best format to convert to AND what options would be best?? (need to know about the PNG options for sure) These are clipart from Microsoft.
thorstenlemke

Re: Best Way and Best Options to Choose

Post by thorstenlemke »

Attachments :Hello,I suggest: Use convert and modify with the function: convert wmf to pdf.So, you will keep the vector identity of most WMFs (you can scale them without any loss).Thorsten On 13.05.2012, at 08:52, pukkanana wrote:   I have a bunch of clip art in WMF format. GC can read them and preview them, but most other Mac apps cannot. I want to convert them to PNG (I think that would be the best format, because I want them be able to make the background transparent if I want). The PNG seems to be a clearer image than jpg or gif. These files are not for the internet. My trouble is without changing any of the default options, when I convert the WMF to PNG, the resulting file is really big i.e. it goes from a file about 42KB to about 3.6 MG. It takes a while even for GC to make thumbnails of a small folder with about 80 files. For example both files say 13423x16000 @ 1000 ppi, 214.80 megapixel -but the WMF is 42K and the PNG is 3.6 MG - they both take a few seconds to open when you double-click. (For some reason, not all my WMF's convert to huge PNG's. But, all of the converted ones do get bigger.) What is the best options to choose? I don't know what the Interlaced, Filter, and Store options should be. I searched the manual, but couldn't find an answer or how to. So my questions are: What would be the best format to convert to AND what options would be best?? (need to know about the PNG options for sure) These are clipart from Microsoft.
pukkanana

Post by pukkanana »

Hello Thorsten, I think it might be a bug in the beta? I completely uninstalled the 852 beta (removing all associated files using TinkerTool). Then I re-installed the 7.6.2 version leaving the default settings. I only changed a few settings like showing file size in the browser options. Then I went to Convert batch and converted all the WMF files to PNG files and it went without a snap. It processed it all pretty fast and the file size only changed a bit - WMF was 42kb and PNG ended up 67kb. I guess I'm not cut out for beta! I don't want to have to re-convert too many files to get the smaller size so I'll stick with ver7 for now, because I have WMFs to convert (off and on process). I'm not technical enough to relay what's going on and it doesn't give me an error message, just goes real slow and makes big files. I don't really want to go with PDF either, as Lion and Mountain Lion have messed up Save As, Versions, and Auto Save and Preview seems to be one of the worst offenders - everyone says it saves the file and messes up your original. I think PNG would work better in my case, because more apps can use it, like iMedia Browser. Thank you, by the way, for keeping the options to not have Duplicate, AutoSave, Versions, do the automatic saving, etc. Thanks for your help. Linda --- In gcmac@yahoogroups.com, Thorsten Lemke <lemke@...> wrote: > > Hello, > > I suggest: Use convert and modify with the function: convert wmf to pdf. > So, you will keep the vector identity of most WMFs (you can scale them without any loss). > > Thorsten > > > On 13.05.2012, at 08:52, pukkanana wrote: > > > I have a bunch of clip art in WMF format. GC can read them and preview them, but most other Mac apps cannot. > > > > I want to convert them to PNG (I think that would be the best format, because I want them be able to make the background transparent if I want). The PNG seems to be a clearer image than jpg or gif. These files are not for the internet. > > > > My trouble is without changing any of the default options, when I convert the WMF to PNG, the resulting file is really big i.e. it goes from a file about 42KB to about 3.6 MG. It takes a while even for GC to make thumbnails of a small folder with about 80 files. For example both files say 13423x16000 @ 1000 ppi, 214.80 megapixel -but the WMF is 42K and the PNG is 3.6 MG - they both take a few seconds to open when you double-click. > > > > (For some reason, not all my WMF's convert to huge PNG's. But, all of the converted ones do get bigger.) > > > > What is the best options to choose? I don't know what the Interlaced, Filter, and Store options should be. I searched the manual, but couldn't find an answer or how to. > > > > So my questions are: What would be the best format to convert to AND what options would be best?? (need to know about the PNG options for sure) > > > > These are clipart from Microsoft. > > > > >
thorstenlemke

Post by thorstenlemke »

Attachments :Hello,PNG is a bitmap file format. WMF is a vector file format. So, the conversion will normally cause larger files.That was the reason why I did suggest the batch conversion of WMF to PDF.That is not a BETA issue. This is an issue of the file format.Thorsten On 13.05.2012, at 17:33, pukkanana wrote:   Hello Thorsten, I think it might be a bug in the beta? I completely uninstalled the 852 beta (removing all associated files using TinkerTool). Then I re-installed the 7.6.2 version leaving the default settings. I only changed a few settings like showing file size in the browser options. Then I went to Convert batch and converted all the WMF files to PNG files and it went without a snap. It processed it all pretty fast and the file size only changed a bit - WMF was 42kb and PNG ended up 67kb. I guess I'm not cut out for beta! I don't want to have to re-convert too many files to get the smaller size so I'll stick with ver7 for now, because I have WMFs to convert (off and on process). I'm not technical enough to relay what's going on and it doesn't give me an error message, just goes real slow and makes big files. I don't really want to go with PDF either, as Lion and Mountain Lion have messed up Save As, Versions, and Auto Save and Preview seems to be one of the worst offenders - everyone says it saves the file and messes up your original. I think PNG would work better in my case, because more apps can use it, like iMedia Browser. Thank you, by the way, for keeping the options to not have Duplicate, AutoSave, Versions, do the automatic saving, etc. Thanks for your help. Linda
Richard Chu

Post by Richard Chu »

Thanks, Thorsten,For the explanation. Glad to have learned the difference of the two file formats.Richard Richard ChuSunsets San Francisco, Californiahttp://blogochu.blogspot.com  On May 13, 2012, at 11:03 AM, Thorsten Lemke wrote: Hello,PNG is a bitmap file format. WMF is a vector file format. So, the conversion will normally cause larger files.That was the reason why I did suggest the batch conversion of WMF to PDF.That is not a BETA issue. This is an issue of the file format.ThorstenOn 13.05.2012, at 17:33, pukkanana wrote:   Hello Thorsten, I think it might be a bug in the beta? I completely uninstalled the 852 beta (removing all associated files using TinkerTool). Then I re-installed the 7.6.2 version leaving the default settings. I only changed a few settings like showing file size in the browser options. Then I went to Convert batch and converted all the WMF files to PNG files and it went without a snap. It processed it all pretty fast and the file size only changed a bit - WMF was 42kb and PNG ended up 67kb. I guess I'm not cut out for beta! I don't want to have to re-convert too many files to get the smaller size so I'll stick with ver7 for now, because I have WMFs to convert (off and on process). I'm not technical enough to relay what's going on and it doesn't give me an error message, just goes real slow and makes big files. I don't really want to go with PDF either, as Lion and Mountain Lion have messed up Save As, Versions, and Auto Save and Preview seems to be one of the worst offenders - everyone says it saves the file and messes up your original. I think PNG would work better in my case, because more apps can use it, like iMedia Browser. Thank you, by the way, for keeping the options to not have Duplicate, AutoSave, Versions, do the automatic saving, etc. Thanks for your help. Linda
pukkanana

Post by pukkanana »

Oh. Thanks for that info, Thorsten. I am confused though why it works so well in ver 7? When I convert WMF to PNG using ver 7, I don't get the slowed conversion or the resulting large files? GraphicConverter 8 had trouble reading and making the previews for these large PNG files I created from the WMF. Because GC 7 made the PNG files smaller, the preview and folders display a lot faster. PNG is a higher quality file than GIF though, correct? I'm not that concerned with whether it's vector or bitmap, because I am not editing or changing the files, except for occasionally making the background transparent which GC does for PNG files. (Originally, I had converted to TIF and they were too large.) I'm just a home-user using GC for home projects, cards, letters, newsletters, etc. I find it very useful for searching and maintaining/organizing clipart. Thanks always for your help, Thorsten. Linda --- In gcmac@yahoogroups.com, Thorsten Lemke <lemke@...> wrote: > > Hello, > > PNG is a bitmap file format. WMF is a vector file format. So, the conversion will normally cause larger files. > > That was the reason why I did suggest the batch conversion of WMF to PDF. > > That is not a BETA issue. This is an issue of the file format. > > Thorsten > > On 13.05.2012, at 17:33, pukkanana wrote: > > > Hello Thorsten, > > > > I think it might be a bug in the beta? I completely uninstalled the 852 beta (removing all associated files using TinkerTool). Then I re-installed the 7.6.2 version leaving the default settings. I only changed a few settings like showing file size in the browser options. Then I went to Convert batch and converted all the WMF files to PNG files and it went without a snap. It processed it all pretty fast and the file size only changed a bit - WMF was 42kb and PNG ended up 67kb. > > > > I guess I'm not cut out for beta! I don't want to have to re-convert too many files to get the smaller size so I'll stick with ver7 for now, because I have WMFs to convert (off and on process). I'm not technical enough to relay what's going on and it doesn't give me an error message, just goes real slow and makes big files. > > > > I don't really want to go with PDF either, as Lion and Mountain Lion have messed up Save As, Versions, and Auto Save and Preview seems to be one of the worst offenders - everyone says it saves the file and messes up your original. I think PNG would work better in my case, because more apps can use it, like iMedia Browser. Thank you, by the way, for keeping the options to not have Duplicate, AutoSave, Versions, do the automatic saving, etc. > > > > Thanks for your help. > > Linda > > >
pukkanana

Post by pukkanana »

Maybe I'll do some testing with TIF format. What's the best compression and other convert options for TIF? Sorry, I'm a real newbie to converting, etc. Any time and suggestions are really appreciated. Thanks, Linda --- In gcmac@yahoogroups.com, "pukkanana" <pukkanana@...> wrote: > > Oh. Thanks for that info, Thorsten. > > I am confused though why it works so well in ver 7? When I convert WMF to PNG using ver 7, I don't get the slowed conversion or the resulting large files? > > GraphicConverter 8 had trouble reading and making the previews for these large PNG files I created from the WMF. Because GC 7 made the PNG files smaller, the preview and folders display a lot faster. > > PNG is a higher quality file than GIF though, correct? I'm not that concerned with whether it's vector or bitmap, because I am not editing or changing the files, except for occasionally making the background transparent which GC does for PNG files. (Originally, I had converted to TIF and they were too large.) > > I'm just a home-user using GC for home projects, cards, letters, newsletters, etc. I find it very useful for searching and maintaining/organizing clipart. > > Thanks always for your help, Thorsten. > > Linda > > --- In gcmac@yahoogroups.com, Thorsten Lemke <lemke@> wrote: > > > > Hello, > > > > PNG is a bitmap file format. WMF is a vector file format. So, the conversion will normally cause larger files. > > > > That was the reason why I did suggest the batch conversion of WMF to PDF. > > > > That is not a BETA issue. This is an issue of the file format. > > > > Thorsten > > > > On 13.05.2012, at 17:33, pukkanana wrote: > > > > > Hello Thorsten, > > > > > > I think it might be a bug in the beta? I completely uninstalled the 852 beta (removing all associated files using TinkerTool). Then I re-installed the 7.6.2 version leaving the default settings. I only changed a few settings like showing file size in the browser options. Then I went to Convert batch and converted all the WMF files to PNG files and it went without a snap. It processed it all pretty fast and the file size only changed a bit - WMF was 42kb and PNG ended up 67kb. > > > > > > I guess I'm not cut out for beta! I don't want to have to re-convert too many files to get the smaller size so I'll stick with ver7 for now, because I have WMFs to convert (off and on process). I'm not technical enough to relay what's going on and it doesn't give me an error message, just goes real slow and makes big files. > > > > > > I don't really want to go with PDF either, as Lion and Mountain Lion have messed up Save As, Versions, and Auto Save and Preview seems to be one of the worst offenders - everyone says it saves the file and messes up your original. I think PNG would work better in my case, because more apps can use it, like iMedia Browser. Thank you, by the way, for keeping the options to not have Duplicate, AutoSave, Versions, do the automatic saving, etc. > > > > > > Thanks for your help. > > > Linda > > > > > >
thorstenlemke

Post by thorstenlemke »

Attachments :Hello,did you check the import resolution? PNG is pixel based.Thorsten On 13.05.2012, at 22:46, pukkanana wrote:   Oh. Thanks for that info, Thorsten. I am confused though why it works so well in ver 7? When I convert WMF to PNG using ver 7, I don't get the slowed conversion or the resulting large files? GraphicConverter 8 had trouble reading and making the previews for these large PNG files I created from the WMF. Because GC 7 made the PNG files smaller, the preview and folders display a lot faster. PNG is a higher quality file than GIF though, correct? I'm not that concerned with whether it's vector or bitmap, because I am not editing or changing the files, except for occasionally making the background transparent which GC does for PNG files. (Originally, I had converted to TIF and they were too large.) I'm just a home-user using GC for home projects, cards, letters, newsletters, etc. I find it very useful for searching and maintaining/organizing clipart. Thanks always for your help, Thorsten. Linda --- In gcmac@
pukkanana

Post by pukkanana »

Thorsten, I did not see a setting for resolution in the Convert window. I haven't seen a setting/option for Import Resolution or Resolution in Preferences either. I've left mostly everything at the default settings (mostly because I don't know what they mean - I'm so green!) Note: when I said that originally I had converted to TIF, some of the files I converted with a Windows pc, before I moved to Mac 2+ yrs ago. I didn't really know how much about converting and I just let the Windows program do it - I don't remember the name. Anyway, all that just makes the story too long. I'll look around for "import resolution." thanks... --- In gcmac@yahoogroups.com, Thorsten Lemke <lemke@...> wrote: > > Hello, > > did you check the import resolution? PNG is pixel based. > > Thorsten > > > On 13.05.2012, at 22:46, pukkanana wrote: > > > Oh. Thanks for that info, Thorsten. > > > > I am confused though why it works so well in ver 7? When I convert WMF to PNG using ver 7, I don't get the slowed conversion or the resulting large files? > > > > GraphicConverter 8 had trouble reading and making the previews for these large PNG files I created from the WMF. Because GC 7 made the PNG files smaller, the preview and folders display a lot faster. > > > > PNG is a higher quality file than GIF though, correct? I'm not that concerned with whether it's vector or bitmap, because I am not editing or changing the files, except for occasionally making the background transparent which GC does for PNG files. (Originally, I had converted to TIF and they were too large.) > > > > I'm just a home-user using GC for home projects, cards, letters, newsletters, etc. I find it very useful for searching and maintaining/organizing clipart. > > > > Thanks always for your help, Thorsten. > > > > Linda > > > > --- In gcmac@ >
thorstenlemke

Post by thorstenlemke »

Hello,please e-mail a sample WMF. I will create a short tutorial movie.ThorstenOn 14.05.2012, at 16:49, pukkanana wrote: Thorsten,I did not see a setting for resolution in the Convert window. I haven't seen a setting/option for Import Resolution or Resolution in Preferences either. I've left mostly everything at the default settings (mostly because I don't know what they mean - I'm so green!)Note: when I said that originally I had converted to TIF, some of the files I converted with a Windows pc, before I moved to Mac 2+ yrs ago. I didn't really know how much about converting and I just let the Windows program do it - I don't remember the name. Anyway, all that just makes the story too long.I'll look around for "import resolution."thanks...