help, adding a new scanner (TWAIN plug-in)

This area contains the messages from the old Yahoo gcmac group after the port.
Chuck Boody

Re: Ver 8 scanner issue

Post by Chuck Boody »

Hi Thorsten,I'll order tonight.  Beta of 8 does not work with Epson scanner, but Version 7 does.  I suspect maybe the 64 bit issue?  Perhaps the Epson scanner driver won't work under 64 bit?  Is there a way to run Ver. 8 at 32 bit?  Maybe my machine can't use it?  Running10.6.8 on a 2 GHz Intel Core Duo, but my System Software overview says "64-bit Kernel and Extensions No"Thanks,Chuck Boody On May 25, 2012, at 1:03 PM, Thorsten Lemke wrote:   Hello,the current license key is valid for the 7 and 8.Please check the latest BETA. I found one issue.ThorstenOn 25.05.2012, at 19:52, Chuck Boody wrote:   Thanks,I'll hold off purchase until I know whether to get 7 or 8...Chuck BoodyOn May 25, 2012, at 1:28 AM, Thorsten Lemke wrote:   Hi Chuck,that looks like an EPSON issue with the current TWAIN SDK.We are working onto it.I received only reports from users of EPSON scanners.ThorstenOn 25.05.2012, at 06:19, Chuck Boody wrote:  
thorstenlemke

Post by thorstenlemke »

Hi Chuck,I will release a new beta today.I found the problem. EPSON drivers do not support Twain 2.2 callbacks (TWAIN.org suggest to use this modern way since a few years).Thorsten On 30.05.2012, at 06:05, Chuck Boody wrote:   Hi Thorsten,I'll order tonight.  Beta of 8 does not work with Epson scanner, but Version 7 does.  I suspect maybe the 64 bit issue?  Perhaps the Epson scanner driver won't work under 64 bit?  Is there a way to run Ver. 8 at 32 bit?  Maybe my machine can't use it?  Running10.6.8 on a 2 GHz Intel Core Duo, but my System Software overview says "64-bit Kernel and Extensions No"Thanks,Chuck Boody
watcombeman

Post by watcombeman »

I hope this will not break it for the rest of us! It's been quite hard work getting TWAIN scanning to work with the Canon Scangear driver in GC version 8. BTW, I find that the Invert Scan box in Image Capture/TWAIN has no effect in the latest build I have (880). The scan is non-inverted whether or not it is checked. I don't actually need to invert scans, but it would be nice to have the facility :-) If it can't be made to work, perhaps it should be deleted from the Preferences. John. --- In gcmac@yahoogroups.com, Thorsten Lemke <lemke@...> wrote: > > Hi Chuck, > > I will release a new beta today. > > I found the problem. EPSON drivers do not support Twain 2.2 callbacks (TWAIN.org suggest to use this modern way since a few years). > > Thorsten > > > On 30.05.2012, at 06:05, Chuck Boody wrote: > > > Hi Thorsten, > > > > > > I'll order tonight. Beta of 8 does not work with Epson scanner, but Version 7 does. I suspect maybe the 64 bit issue? Perhaps the Epson scanner driver won't work under 64 bit? Is there a way to run Ver. 8 at 32 bit? Maybe my machine can't use it? Running > > 10.6.8 on a 2 GHz Intel Core Duo, but my System Software overview says "64-bit Kernel and Extensions No" > > > > Thanks, > > > > Chuck Boody >
Chuck Boody

Post by Chuck Boody »

Hi Thorsten,Fix works fine!  Many thanks for finding it.  I ordered last night and am waiting for the code.Chuck Boody On May 30, 2012, at 1:22 AM, Thorsten Lemke wrote:   Hi Chuck,I will release a new beta today.I found the problem. EPSON drivers do not support Twain 2.2 callbacks (TWAIN.org suggest to use this modern way since a few years).Thorsten On 30.05.2012, at 06:05, Chuck Boody wrote:   Hi Thorsten,I'll order tonight.  Beta of 8 does not work with Epson scanner, but Version 7 does.  I suspect maybe the 64 bit issue?  Perhaps the Epson scanner driver won't work under 64 bit?  Is there a way to run Ver. 8 at 32 bit?  Maybe my machine can't use it?  Running10.6.8 on a 2 GHz Intel Core Duo, but my System Software overview says "64-bit Kernel and Extensions No"Thanks,Chuck Boody
watcombeman

Re: Ver 8 scanner issue - Twain broken again :-(

Post by watcombeman »

Build 884 HAS broken TWAIN for my Canon MG5150 scanner. I can select Scan with TWAIN or <command>T, the ScanGear (scanner driver window opens, I Preview and then Scan and a window titled ScanGear opens. it states "Transferring Image", there is a progress bar and below that is "Scanning Status:" and at the opposite end of the line "1/1crops". And that is it. nothing further happens, no matter how long I wait. There is no crash report and no relevant Console message. I can Quit GC, it is responding OK to that. But it leaves the scanner in a confused state, in which it either thinks it is in use by another application or cannot be communicated with. I have to turn the printer off and on again to clear this. If I Preview and then choose Close in the scanner window instead of Scan, the scanner window locks up. I cannot close it with the red Close button, either. So I am reverting to build 880, which still works. John. --- In gcmac@yahoogroups.com, "watcombeman" <john@...> wrote: > > I hope this will not break it for the rest of us! It's been quite hard work getting TWAIN scanning to work with the Canon Scangear driver in GC version 8. > > BTW, I find that the Invert Scan box in Image Capture/TWAIN has no effect in the latest build I have (880). The scan is non-inverted whether or not it is checked. > > I don't actually need to invert scans, but it would be nice to have the facility :-) If it can't be made to work, perhaps it should be deleted from the Preferences. > > John. > > --- In gcmac@yahoogroups.com, Thorsten Lemke <lemke@> wrote: > > > > Hi Chuck, > > > > I will release a new beta today. > > > > I found the problem. EPSON drivers do not support Twain 2.2 callbacks (TWAIN.org suggest to use this modern way since a few years). > > > > Thorsten > > > > > > On 30.05.2012, at 06:05, Chuck Boody wrote: > > > > > Hi Thorsten, > > > > > > > > > I'll order tonight. Beta of 8 does not work with Epson scanner, but Version 7 does. I suspect maybe the 64 bit issue? Perhaps the Epson scanner driver won't work under 64 bit? Is there a way to run Ver. 8 at 32 bit? Maybe my machine can't use it? Running > > > 10.6.8 on a 2 GHz Intel Core Duo, but my System Software overview says "64-bit Kernel and Extensions No" > > > > > > Thanks, > > > > > > Chuck Boody > > >
thorstenlemke

Re: Ver 8 scanner issue - Twain broken again :-(

Post by thorstenlemke »

Hi,thanks. I am checking it.Thorsten On 31.05.2012, at 11:21, watcombeman wrote:   Build 884 HAS broken TWAIN for my Canon MG5150 scanner. I can select Scan with TWAIN or <command>T, the ScanGear (scanner driver window opens, I Preview and then Scan and a window titled ScanGear opens. it states "Transferring Image", there is a progress bar and below that is "Scanning Status:" and at the opposite end of the line "1/1crops". And that is it. nothing further happens, no matter how long I wait. There is no crash report and no relevant Console message. I can Quit GC, it is responding OK to that. But it leaves the scanner in a confused state, in which it either thinks it is in use by another application or cannot be communicated with. I have to turn the printer off and on again to clear this. If I Preview and then choose Close in the scanner window instead of Scan, the scanner window locks up. I cannot close it with the red Close button, either. So I am reverting to build 880, which still works. John. --- In