Editing text after closing file

This area contains the messages from the old Yahoo gcmac group after the port.
katie102712

Editing text after closing file

Post by katie102712 »

Hello, I just started using Graphic Converter to make wedding invitations. I'm able to edit text just fine, but when I save, close, and reopen my document, I'm no longer able to select and edit the text. The text also disappears from the "text objects" pop-up box after re-opening. The same thing happens if I click "Flatten," but I'm not sure how to reverse it so that I can continue editing after I reopen it. I have tried saving as psd, gif, pdf, and jpg. Same things happens every time. Thanks for your help!
thorstenlemke

Re: Editing text after closing file

Post by thorstenlemke »

Hello,that is normal. The image files do not support text. The text is merged into the pixel data upon save.Thorsten´ On 09.06.2012, at 18:56, katie102712 wrote:   Hello, I just started using Graphic Converter to make wedding invitations. I'm able to edit text just fine, but when I save, close, and reopen my document, I'm no longer able to select and edit the text. The text also disappears from the "text objects" pop-up box after re-opening. The same thing happens if I click "Flatten," but I'm not sure how to reverse it so that I can continue editing after I reopen it. I have tried saving as psd, gif, pdf, and jpg. Same things happens every time. Thanks for your help!
Alfred J Treder

Post by Alfred J Treder »

As far as I know, once you have flattened the image, so all the paste-ons are now permanently part of the image, there is no way to unflatten it except undo while you still have the file open. Once you have saved an image, that saved file is permanently stuck together. Of course, if you still have the file open in GC after you save, you can undo that one and make changes. You just can't undo the steps you took to make the saved file, because all that information is in active memory while you're working, and not saved once you quit.If you wanted the option of creating several images with the same background but different text (for instance), you could create a text file for each of the text contents you wanted, make the background of the text files transparent, and then paste the text files onto the background image for each different one you wanted. It's critically important to always have the original images saved and not over-written with text you want to change only later, when you can't. Al“ We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children. ”-- Native American Proverb On Jun 9, 2012, at 9:56 AM, katie102712 wrote:   Hello, I just started using Graphic Converter to make wedding invitations. I'm able to edit text just fine, but when I save, close, and reopen my document, I'm no longer able to select and edit the text. The text also disappears from the "text objects" pop-up box after re-opening. The same thing happens if I click "Flatten," but I'm not sure how to reverse it so that I can continue editing after I reopen it. I have tried saving as psd, gif, pdf, and jpg. Same things happens every time. Thanks for your help!
katie102712

Post by katie102712 »

Thanks for your reply. Is there a way to get around that, so that your text does not become permanent and you can edit it later? --- In gcmac@yahoogroups.com, Thorsten Lemke <lemke@...> wrote: > > Hello, > > that is normal. The image files do not support text. The text is merged into the pixel data upon save. > > Thorsten > ´ > On 09.06.2012, at 18:56, katie102712 wrote: > > > Hello, > > > > I just started using Graphic Converter to make wedding invitations. I'm able to edit text just fine, but when I save, close, and reopen my document, I'm no longer able to select and edit the text. The text also disappears from the "text objects" pop-up box after re-opening. The same thing happens if I click "Flatten," but I'm not sure how to reverse it so that I can continue editing after I reopen it. > > > > I have tried saving as psd, gif, pdf, and jpg. Same things happens every time. > > > > Thanks for your help! > > > > >
thorstenlemke

Post by thorstenlemke »

Hello,sorry, not yet.Thorsten On 09.06.2012, at 19:14, katie102712 wrote:   Thanks for your reply. Is there a way to get around that, so that your text does not become permanent and you can edit it later? --- In gcmac@yahoogroups.com, Thorsten Lemke <lemke@...> wrote: > > Hello, > > that is normal. The image files do not support text. The text is merged into the pixel data upon save. > > Thorsten > ´ > On 09.06.2012, at 18:56, katie102712 wrote: > > > Hello, > > > > I just started using Graphic Converter to make wedding invitations. I'm able to edit text just fine, but when I save, close, and reopen my document, I'm no longer able to select and edit the text. The text also disappears from the "text objects" pop-up box after re-opening. The same thing happens if I click "Flatten," but I'm not sure how to reverse it so that I can continue editing after I reopen it. > > > > I have tried saving as psd, gif, pdf, and jpg. Same things happens every time. > > > > Thanks for your help! > > > > >
watcombeman

Post by watcombeman »

This is probably not the forum in which to say this, but perhaps Graphic Converter is not the most suitable application for your task. Why not try something like Intaglio, which will allow you to display an image and then have text in a separate layer above it? OK, Intaglio isn't free (I just happen to have it) but there may be other applications that do the trick. And they may be better at manipulating text even if they can't manipulate images. I've never used CADintosh, would this be able to do the job? John. --- In gcmac@yahoogroups.com, "katie102712" <katie.friedline@...> wrote: > > Thanks for your reply. Is there a way to get around that, so that your text does not become permanent and you can edit it later? > > --- In gcmac@yahoogroups.com, Thorsten Lemke <lemke@> wrote: > > > > Hello, > > > > that is normal. The image files do not support text. The text is merged into the pixel data upon save. > > > > Thorsten > > ´ > > On 09.06.2012, at 18:56, katie102712 wrote: > > > > > Hello, > > > > > > I just started using Graphic Converter to make wedding invitations. I'm able to edit text just fine, but when I save, close, and reopen my document, I'm no longer able to select and edit the text. The text also disappears from the "text objects" pop-up box after re-opening. The same thing happens if I click "Flatten," but I'm not sure how to reverse it so that I can continue editing after I reopen it. > > > > > > I have tried saving as psd, gif, pdf, and jpg. Same things happens every time. > > > > > > Thanks for your help! > > > > > > > > >
Patrick Aquilla

Add Image as Folder Icon

Post by Patrick Aquilla »

Hi Thorsten, When you're in the browser and select Action/Misc/Add Image as Folder Icon it doesn't work properly ... it doesn't add an icon that's proportional to the image, it basically adds a stretched out square icon no matter if the image it longer vertically or horizontally Also it doesnt add the 1 pixel (or proportonal) border to the icon like it used to do in 6.7.4 when you select it in the Preferences under the path Save/Resource Fork/Decoraration/Black Border Any chance you can fix that? Also, is there a script that simulates the "Add Image as Folder Icon" available so I can use it as a service? I'd like to be able to right click an image in a folder and make that the folder icon when I'm working in the finder. Thanks very much, PA
thorstenlemke

Re: Add Image as Folder Icon

Post by thorstenlemke »

Hello,I released a new beta.http://www.lemkesoft.org/beta.htmlThat does fix it.Thorsten On 12.06.2012, at 08:42, Patrick Aquilla wrote:   Hi Thorsten, When you're in the browser and select Action/Misc/Add Image as Folder Icon it doesn't work properly ... it doesn't add an icon that's proportional to the image, it basically adds a stretched out square icon no matter if the image it longer vertically or horizontally Also it doesnt add the 1 pixel (or proportonal) border to the icon like it used to do in 6.7.4 when you select it in the Preferences under the path Save/Resource Fork/Decoraration/Black Border Any chance you can fix that?