Set date based on EXIF does not work pre year 1970

This area contains the messages from the old Yahoo gcmac group after the port.
Doug McCoy

Re: Still Scanner issues with Ver. 8.1

Post by Doug McCoy »

On the scanner issue, if all else fails, get a copy of VueScan Scanning software from Hamrick Software.I bought the professional version (unlimited upgrades for life) way back when... late 90's or early 2000's.... I don't remember when.Reading these posts made me check for an upgrade. It's up to 9.1.06. The last oneI had was 8.6. Doh.... I haven't used it in a couple of years and didn't upgrade then.Now that I'm recently back into photography and photomanipulation I may very well have use for it. Not to say anythingfor GC. I have a lot to learn about GC, including the scanning functions. Anyway, VueScan supports1850 + scanners and may do a lot more than the software that came with your scanner including working with newer operating systems.So, yeah, I'm a longtime off and on happy user. As for GC, same there, Used GC a little now and then many yearsago, and think I even paid for a version though I can't seem to find proof of that such as a license at this point. Anyway, I'verecently purchased anew, including purchasing a copy of Xe847 which has given my photos a good light and color pop for some odd reason. Haha. That's another story which probably has a psychobiotic scientific explanation. Regardless, I've been getting a kickout of it and GC where photomanipulation is concerned, though, I said earlier, I still have a lot of things to learn...Thanks, Thorsten, and friends, for being there. Doug McCoy (Knoxville, TN, USA)
Chuck Boody

Post by Chuck Boody »

My concern is not with scanning.  I can do it a variety of ways (including using ver. 7.x of GC.  I just want Thorsten to know that the issue still exists.Chuck Boody On Jun 24, 2012, at 4:08 PM, Doug McCoy wrote:   On the scanner issue, if all else fails, get a copy of VueScan Scanning software from Hamrick Software.I bought the professional version (unlimited upgrades for life) way back when... late 90's or early 2000's.... I don't remember when.Reading these posts made me check for an upgrade. It's up to 9.1.06. The last oneI had was 8.6. Doh.... I haven't used it in a couple of years and didn't upgrade then.Now that I'm recently back into photography and photomanipulation I may very well have use for it. Not to say anythingfor GC. I have a lot to learn about GC, including the scanning functions. Anyway, VueScan supports1850 + scanners and may do a lot more than the software that came with your scanner including working with newer operating systems.So, yeah, I'm a longtime off and on happy user. As for GC, same there, Used GC a little now and then many yearsago, and think I even paid for a version though I can't seem to find proof of that such as a license at this point. Anyway, I'verecently purchased anew, including purchasing a copy of Xe847 which has given my photos a good light and color pop for some odd reason. Haha. That's another story which probably has a psychobiotic scientific explanation. Regardless, I've been getting a kickout of it and GC where photomanipulation is concerned, though, I said earlier, I still have a lot of things to learn...Thanks, Thorsten, and friends, for being there. Doug McCoy (Knoxville, TN, USA)
watcombeman

Post by watcombeman »

Hi Chuck, I am sorry, but unsurprised, to hear that you are having trouble with Epson, TWAIN and GC. Thorsten and I have struggled with this on many an occasion. It was one of the reasons why I chose a Canon all-in-one when my Epson machine broke. TWAIN seems to be a particularly slippery customer - Thorsten struggled to get it working again with my Canon MG5150 after GC8 broke it. Even now, the Invert Scan checkbox preference in General/Image Capture/TWAIN is inoperative. I imagine that Thorsten will sort it out for you but it may take time - he has so much to cope with! As long as the fix for you doesn't break it again for me :-( Meanwhile, I suppose you have tried launching GC8 in 32-bit mode? It never worked for me... I have not upgraded to Lion but I imagine that it will have something similar to System Profiler, which should tell you whether your driver is 32 bit or 64 bit. John. --- In gcmac@yahoogroups.com, Chuck Boody <cboody@...> wrote: > > My concern is not with scanning. I can do it a variety of ways (including using ver. 7.x of GC. I just want Thorsten to know that the issue still exists. > > Chuck Boody
Jim King

Post by Jim King »

Doug McCoy" douglink1@yahoo.com wrote on Sun Jun 24, 2012 2:08 pm (PDT) > On the scanner issue, if all else fails, get a copy of VueScan Scanning software from Hamrick Software. > I bought the professional version (unlimited upgrades for life) way back when... late 90's > > or early 2000's.... I don't remember when. > > Reading these posts made me check for an upgrade. It's up to 9.1.06. The last one > I had was 8.6. Doh.... I haven't used it in a couple of years and didn't upgrade then. I had system freeze issues trying to use Vuescan in the 64-bit mode on my iMac running OS X 10 7.4 Lion. Hamrick suggested that I try the 32 bit mode and I can now use Vuescan with my Samsung AIO to import images without system freezes. However, it doesn't work for me with with GC 8.1, only with Preview. I must save the image and reopen it in GC. Regards, Jim
chinajon6

Post by chinajon6 »

I have a Brother MFC printer. V8 could not see the scanner until I set the 32 bit pref in V8. Then it saw the Twain for the Brother printer. Whew! I am glad that works. I could not get V8 to see the Twain driver at all. Thanks for noting that in one of the comments below. Jon --- In gcmac@yahoogroups.com, "watcombeman" <john@...> wrote: > > Hi Chuck, > > I am sorry, but unsurprised, to hear that you are having trouble with Epson, TWAIN and GC. Thorsten and I have struggled with this on many an occasion. It was one of the reasons why I chose a Canon all-in-one when my Epson machine broke. > > TWAIN seems to be a particularly slippery customer - Thorsten struggled to get it working again with my Canon MG5150 after GC8 broke it. Even now, the Invert Scan checkbox preference in General/Image Capture/TWAIN is inoperative. > > I imagine that Thorsten will sort it out for you but it may take time - he has so much to cope with! As long as the fix for you doesn't break it again for me :-( > > Meanwhile, I suppose you have tried launching GC8 in 32-bit mode? It never worked for me... I have not upgraded to Lion but I imagine that it will have something similar to System Profiler, which should tell you whether your driver is 32 bit or 64 bit. > > John. > > --- In gcmac@yahoogroups.com, Chuck Boody <cboody@> wrote: > > > > My concern is not with scanning. I can do it a variety of ways (including using ver. 7.x of GC. I just want Thorsten to know that the issue still exists. > > > > Chuck Boody >
watcombeman

Post by watcombeman »

I'm glad you got a result! Chuck, are you getting on any better with TWAIN these days? John. --- In gcmac@yahoogroups.com, "chinajon6" <chinajon6@...> wrote: > > I have a Brother MFC printer. V8 could not see the scanner until I set the 32 bit pref in V8. Then it saw the Twain for the Brother printer. Whew! I am glad that works. I could not get V8 to see the Twain driver at all. > Thanks for noting that in one of the comments below. > Jon > > --- In gcmac@yahoogroups.com, "watcombeman" <john@> wrote: > > > > Hi Chuck, > > > > I am sorry, but unsurprised, to hear that you are having trouble with Epson, TWAIN and GC. Thorsten and I have struggled with this on many an occasion. It was one of the reasons why I chose a Canon all-in-one when my Epson machine broke. > > > > TWAIN seems to be a particularly slippery customer - Thorsten struggled to get it working again with my Canon MG5150 after GC8 broke it. Even now, the Invert Scan checkbox preference in General/Image Capture/TWAIN is inoperative. > > > > I imagine that Thorsten will sort it out for you but it may take time - he has so much to cope with! As long as the fix for you doesn't break it again for me :-( > > > > Meanwhile, I suppose you have tried launching GC8 in 32-bit mode? It never worked for me... I have not upgraded to Lion but I imagine that it will have something similar to System Profiler, which should tell you whether your driver is 32 bit or 64 bit. > > > > John. > > > > --- In gcmac@yahoogroups.com, Chuck Boody <cboody@> wrote: > > > > > > My concern is not with scanning. I can do it a variety of ways (including using ver. 7.x of GC. I just want Thorsten to know that the issue still exists. > > > > > > Chuck Boody > > >