Memory leak

This area contains the messages from the old Yahoo gcmac group after the port.
Mike Alexander

Memory leak

Post by Mike Alexander »

There seems to be some sort of memory leak in GC 8.1. I've been working on some photos from a recent trip mostly using the browser in GC. As I work on the photos the memory allocated to GC keeps increasing and it does more and more paging. If something changes a file in the folder (either GC or an external program) GC goes away for many minutes refreshing things. During that time the VM size (as reported by Activity Monitor) of GC keeps increasing. Right now it's at 9.12 GB. That's a lot of VM for one program. It also uses a vast amount of processor time while it's refreshing the browser, maybe 10 minutes running one thread flat out. This is on a 12 GB Mac Pro running 10.6.8. Mike Alexander
thorstenlemke

Re: Memory leak

Post by thorstenlemke »

Hello,many thanks for your e-mail.Which function did you use?Which file format is used?I need much more details to track it.Thorsten On 25.06.2012, at 05:51, Mike Alexander wrote:   There seems to be some sort of memory leak in GC 8.1. I've been working on some photos from a recent trip mostly using the browser in GC. As I work on the photos the memory allocated to GC keeps increasing and it does more and more paging. If something changes a file in the folder (either GC or an external program) GC goes away for many minutes refreshing things. During that time the VM size (as reported by Activity Monitor) of GC keeps increasing. Right now it's at 9.12 GB. That's a lot of VM for one program. It also uses a vast amount of processor time while it's refreshing the browser, maybe 10 minutes running one thread flat out. This is on a 12 GB Mac Pro running 10.6.8. Mike Alexander
Robert Poland

Post by Robert Poland »

Mike, Some time ago I had a similar problem and it turned out to be a large accumulation of undos on a large image. On Jun 24, 2012, at 9:51 PM, Mike Alexander wrote: > There seems to be some sort of memory leak in GC 8.1. I've been > working on some photos from a recent trip mostly using the browser in > GC. As I work on the photos the memory allocated to GC keeps > increasing and it does more and more paging. If something changes a > file in the folder (either GC or an external program) GC goes away for > many minutes refreshing things. During that time the VM size (as > reported by Activity Monitor) of GC keeps increasing. Right now it's > at 9.12 GB. That's a lot of VM for one program. It also uses a vast > amount of processor time while it's refreshing the browser, maybe 10 > minutes running one thread flat out. This is on a 12 GB Mac Pro > running 10.6.8. > > Mike Alexander > Robert Poland - Fort Collins, CO
Mike Alexander

Post by Mike Alexander »

> many thanks for your e-mail. > > Which function did you use? > Which file format is used? > > I need much more details to track it. Almost all I was doing was looking at pictures in a browser. All I did with them, besides look, was to adjust the file dates to the EXIF dates for some pictures. I was geocoding them using other applications and was using GC to look at them to see what needed to be done. Every time another application changed some pictures, GC went into a SPOD loop for 10 minutes or so and accumulated a few more gigabytes of VM. The folder I was working on did have about 4000 pictures in it. I know this is a lot, but when I switched back to GC 7, it handled it fine. Mike
thorstenlemke

Post by thorstenlemke »

Hello Mike,hmm, can I please get your prefs file?Please e-mail to: lemke@lemkesoft.deThorsten On 26.06.2012, at 05:14, Mike Alexander wrote:   > many thanks for your e-mail. > > Which function did you use? > Which file format is used? > > I need much more details to track it. Almost all I was doing was looking at pictures in a browser. All I did with them, besides look, was to adjust the file dates to the EXIF dates for some pictures. I was geocoding them using other applications and was using GC to look at them to see what needed to be done. Every time another application changed some pictures, GC went into a SPOD loop for 10 minutes or so and accumulated a few more gigabytes of VM. The folder I was working on did have about 4000 pictures in it. I know this is a lot, but when I switched back to GC 7, it handled it fine. Mike