can't make Smart Trim work

This area contains the messages from the old Yahoo gcmac group after the port.
myronm2

can't make Smart Trim work

Post by myronm2 »

I am a stamp collector and I like to scan my stamps. I scan the stamp so that the stamp is surrounded by a black border. The stamp may or may not be straight. I have the foreground color set to black using the eyedropper. I cannot make this work with an object that has straight edges so I do not think it is the stamp perforations that are causing my problem. It seems to me that Smart Trim should remove the entire black border from the image leaving only the stamp image. Isn't this what the Smart Trim should do or am I not interpreting the manual correctly? Any help would be appreciated. Intel Mac, OS 10.6.8, GC 7.6.2 Thanks. Myron
thorstenlemke

Re: can't make Smart Trim work

Post by thorstenlemke »

Hello Myron,yes, did you set the background color to black? That is the trimmed color.Also, did you set the tolerance.Because scanning do not give real black normally.Thorsten On 06.07.2012, at 06:13, myronm2 wrote:   I am a stamp collector and I like to scan my stamps. I scan the stamp so that the stamp is surrounded by a black border. The stamp may or may not be straight. I have the foreground color set to black using the eyedropper. I cannot make this work with an object that has straight edges so I do not think it is the stamp perforations that are causing my problem. It seems to me that Smart Trim should remove the entire black border from the image leaving only the stamp image. Isn't this what the Smart Trim should do or am I not interpreting the manual correctly? Any help would be appreciated. Intel Mac, OS 10.6.8, GC 7.6.2 Thanks. Myron
Dominick Frank Issi

Post by Dominick Frank Issi »

Thorsten,I've been a long time user of GC. Since you've re-written the newest iteration, I've become lost in your answers to folk's questions. If you could give us a steps (1), (2), etc ... it'd be a HUGE help in us knowing to what you want the person to look for/do. Below is a good example. I'm unsure of which "preference setting" the person is to use/view when checking and where the "tolerance" happens to be! A few hints or steps would be TERRIFIC!Thanks///Dominik On Jul 6, 2012, at 2:42 AM, Thorsten Lemke wrote:   Hello Myron,yes, did you set the background color to black? That is the trimmed color.Also, did you set the tolerance.Because scanning do not give real black normally.ThorstenOn 06.07.2012, at 06:13, myronm2 wrote:   I am a stamp collector and I like to scan my stamps. I scan the stamp so that the stamp is surrounded by a black border. The stamp may or may not be straight. I have the foreground color set to black using the eyedropper. I cannot make this work with an object that has straight edges so I do not think it is the stamp perforations that are causing my problem. It seems to me that Smart Trim should remove the entire black border from the image leaving only the stamp image. Isn't this what the Smart Trim should do or am I not interpreting the manual correctly? Any help would be appreciated. Intel Mac, OS 10.6.8, GC 7.6.2 Thanks. Myron
thorstenlemke

Post by thorstenlemke »

Hello,please e-mail a sample file and I will create a short tutorial movie.Thorsten On 06.07.2012, at 15:48, Dominick (Frank) Issi wrote:   Thorsten,I've been a long time user of GC. Since you've re-written the newest iteration, I've become lost in your answers to folk's questions. If you could give us a steps (1), (2), etc ... it'd be a HUGE help in us knowing to what you want the person to look for/do. Below is a good example. I'm unsure of which "preference setting" the person is to use/view when checking and where the "tolerance" happens to be! A few hints or steps would be TERRIFIC!Thanks///DominikOn Jul 6, 2012, at 2:42 AM, Thorsten Lemke wrote:   Hello Myron,
myronm2

Post by myronm2 »

I did play with the tolerance in Trim Options but that made no difference. Still got no trim. I have put three different scans into my dropbox. You can get them from here: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/75977020/Poland.zip If that doesn't work, here is a single stamp. https://dl.dropbox.com/u/75977020/Poland3.jpg Many thanks. Myron --- In gcmac@yahoogroups.com, Thorsten Lemke <lemke@...> wrote: > > Hello, > > please e-mail a sample file and I will create a short tutorial movie. > > Thorsten > > On 06.07.2012, at 15:48, Dominick (Frank) Issi wrote: > > > Thorsten, > > > > > > I've been a long time user of GC. Since you've re-written the newest iteration, I've become lost in your answers to folk's questions. If you could give us a steps (1), (2), etc ... it'd be a HUGE help in us knowing to what you want the person to look for/do. Below is a good example. I'm unsure of which "preference setting" the person is to use/view when checking and where the "tolerance" happens to be! A few hints or steps would be TERRIFIC! > > > > Thanks///Dominik > > > > > > On Jul 6, 2012, at 2:42 AM, Thorsten Lemke wrote: > > > >> > >> Hello Myron, >
Robert Poland

Post by Robert Poland »

Myron, I have found that when Trim doesn't work there very small spots of a different color in the margin. You can verify this by using the Selection tool to clear an area then do the trim. On Jul 6, 2012, at 10:39 AM, myronm2 wrote: > I did play with the tolerance in Trim Options but that made no difference. Still got no trim. > > I have put three different scans into my dropbox. You can get them from here: > > https://dl.dropbox.com/u/75977020/Poland.zip > > If that doesn't work, here is a single stamp. > > https://dl.dropbox.com/u/75977020/Poland3.jpg > > Many thanks. > > Myron > > --- In gcmac@yahoogroups.com, Thorsten Lemke <lemke@...> wrote: >> >> Hello, >> >> please e-mail a sample file and I will create a short tutorial movie. >> >> Thorsten >> >> On 06.07.2012, at 15:48, Dominick (Frank) Issi wrote: >> >>> Thorsten, >>> >>> >>> I've been a long time user of GC. Since you've re-written the newest iteration, I've become lost in your answers to folk's questions. If you could give us a steps (1), (2), etc ... it'd be a HUGE help in us knowing to what you want the person to look for/do. Below is a good example. I'm unsure of which "preference setting" the person is to use/view when checking and where the "tolerance" happens to be! A few hints or steps would be TERRIFIC! >>> >>> Thanks///Dominik >>> >>> >>> On Jul 6, 2012, at 2:42 AM, Thorsten Lemke wrote: >>> >>>> >>>> Hello Myron, Robert Poland - Fort Collins, CO
thorstenlemke

Post by thorstenlemke »

Hi,the problem are the white spots and dust in the black area.Thorsten On 06.07.2012, at 18:39, myronm2 wrote: I did play with the tolerance in Trim Options but that made no difference. Still got no trim.I have put three different scans into my dropbox. You can get them from here:https://dl.dropbox.com/u/75977020/Poland.zipIf that doesn't work, here is a single stamp.https://dl.dropbox.com/u/75977020/Poland3.jpgMany thanks.Myron
Robert Poland

Post by Robert Poland »

Myron,In picture Poland1.jpg the "Black" is really #OCOCOC not #000000.And filled with gray multi pixel spots. On Jul 8, 2012, at 1:54 PM, Thorsten Lemke wrote:Hi,the problem are the white spots and dust in the black area.ThorstenOn 06.07.2012, at 18:39, myronm2 wrote:I did play with the tolerance in Trim Options but that made no difference. Still got no trim.I have put three different scans into my dropbox. You can get them from here:https://dl.dropbox.com/u/75977020/Poland.zipIf that doesn't work, here is a single stamp.https://dl.dropbox.com/u/75977020/Poland3.jpgMany thanks.Myron Robert Poland - Fort Collins, CO
Myron Molnau

Post by Myron Molnau »

Thanks for the help. I knew it had to be simple. Just by filling the "black" area with true black, things now work Now for a related question: is there an option to get all four borders are the same? Thanks again. Myron Not all who wander are lost -- j.r.r.tolkien
Robert Poland

Post by Robert Poland »

Myron, Under Picture/Size there is a Command Add/Remove Margins... where you can add margins of any color and any size. The shortcut key combo is Shift+Command+a. On Jul 10, 2012, at 8:21 PM, Myron Molnau wrote: > Thanks for the help. I knew it had to be simple. Just by filling the > "black" area with true black, things now work > > Now for a related question: is there an option to get all four borders > are the same? > > Thanks again. > > Myron > Robert Poland - Fort Collins, CO