IPTC Date is in UTF-8. Want to bulk change to...

This area contains the messages from the old Yahoo gcmac group after the port.
iamabbqueen

IPTC Date is in UTF-8. Want to bulk change to...

Post by iamabbqueen »

I used GPS PhotoLinker to geotag my photos and it worked great except the IPTC City, State and Country use UTF-8 characters. I tried selecting the photo and selecting "Reverse Geocode" in GC, and it helped somewhat but the outcome wasn't great. "Weia�Ÿenkirchen in der Wachau" was changed to "Weinzierl bei Krems" (It should be "Weia�enkirchen in der Wachau"). Is there a way to change all UTF-8 characters to what they should be? If not, is there a way to do a Find and Replace of the IPTC City/State/Country? I tried going to Metadata (EXIF,IPTC)> Find and Replace IPTC Data but it did not change these fields. I am using GC 7.6.1. Thanks.
thorstenlemke

Re: IPTC Date is in UTF-8. Want to bulk change to...

Post by thorstenlemke »

Hello,first I suggest to use the current 8.2.Why do you not want to use UTF8? That is the standard for IPTC and XML now.ThorstenAm 28.08.2012 um 04:03 schrieb iamabbqueen <captenaj@gmail.com>:   I used GPS PhotoLinker to geotag my photos and it worked great except the IPTC City, State and Country use UTF-8 characters. I tried selecting the photo and selecting "Reverse Geocode" in GC, and it helped somewhat but the outcome wasn't great. "Weia�&#159;enkirchen in der Wachau" was changed to "Weinzierl bei Krems" (It should be "Weia�enkirchen in der Wachau"). Is there a way to change all UTF-8 characters to what they should be? If not, is there a way to do a Find and Replace of the IPTC City/State/Country? I tried going to Metadata (EXIF,IPTC)> Find and Replace IPTC Data but it did not change these fields. I am using GC 7.6.1. Thanks.
iamabbqueen

Post by iamabbqueen »

Thank you for your response. I agree I should upgrade to 8.2 but would that fix the problem? Perhaps I am using the wrong terminology. When I say it is displaying as UTF8 I mean there are nonsense or inappropriate characters displaying. In the example below, the scharfes s is displayed as a capital 'A' with an umlaut. In another example, a lower case 'u' with an umlaut is displayed as an upper case 'A' with an umlaut followed by the one-quarter symbol. I am looking for a way to change these, either automatically, or with a "Find and Replace" functions. I have over 2500 photos with this problem and I am beginning to think the only way to fix them is change them one by one. Thanks again. --- In gcmac@yahoogroups.com, Thorsten Lemke <lemke@...> wrote: > > Hello, > > first I suggest to use the current 8.2. > > Why do you not want to use UTF8? That is the standard for IPTC and XML now. > > Thorsten > > Am 28.08.2012 um 04:03 schrieb iamabbqueen <captenaj@...>: > > > I used GPS PhotoLinker to geotag my photos and it worked great except the IPTC City, State and Country use UTF-8 characters. I tried selecting the photo and selecting "Reverse Geocode" in GC, and it helped somewhat but the outcome wasn't great. "Weia�&#159;enkirchen in der Wachau" was changed to "Weinzierl bei Krems" (It should be "Weia�enkirchen in der Wachau"). Is there a way to change all UTF-8 characters to what they should be? If not, is there a way to do a Find and Replace of the IPTC City/State/Country? I tried going to Metadata (EXIF,IPTC)> Find and Replace IPTC Data but it did not change these fields. > > > > I am using GC 7.6.1. > > > > Thanks. > > > > >
thorstenlemke

Post by thorstenlemke »

Hello,maybe the encoding is not correctly stored in the iptc record.How did you tag the files?Can I maybe get a sample file to lemke@lemkesoft.deThorsten Am 28.08.2012 um 13:45 schrieb iamabbqueen <captenaj@gmail.com>:   Thank you for your response. I agree I should upgrade to 8.2 but would that fix the problem? Perhaps I am using the wrong terminology. When I say it is displaying as UTF8 I mean there are nonsense or inappropriate characters displaying. In the example below, the scharfes s is displayed as a capital 'A' with an umlaut. In another example, a lower case 'u' with an umlaut is displayed as an upper case 'A' with an umlaut followed by the one-quarter symbol. I am looking for a way to change these, either automatically, or with a "Find and Replace" functions. I have over 2500 photos with this problem and I am beginning to think the only way to fix them is change them one by one. Thanks again.