Browser misbehaviour

This area contains the messages from the old Yahoo gcmac group after the port.
Jim Mueller

Browser misbehaviour

Post by Jim Mueller »

Attachments :Screen shot 2012-12-10 at 8.35.18 AM.pngI am going to delete GC 8's preferences to see if this problem is resolved, but I wanted to report it in case there is something else going on. For years I have used GC's "Add Image As Folder Icon" command to put a custom icon on folders (despite the fact that in GC8 it's now buried 3 levels deep in the browser's contextual menu) with no problems. Suddenly a few weeks ago I noticed that all the recent folders I'd given custom icons to using GC8 had no icon at all - not even the Finder's default folder icon. Doing Get Info shows a black square with a white document outline in it the Preview area and nothing at all in the icon area at the upper left.
watcombeman

Re: Browser misbehaviour

Post by watcombeman »

What happens when you select the icon in Get Info and then delete it? Does it revert to a default icon? John. --- In gcmac@yahoogroups.com, Jim Mueller <jimmueller@...> wrote: > > I am going to delete GC 8's preferences to see if this problem is resolved, but I wanted to report it in case there is something else going on. > > For years I have used GC's "Add Image As Folder Icon" command to put a custom icon on folders (despite the fact that in GC8 it's now buried 3 levels deep in the browser's contextual menu) with no problems. > Suddenly a few weeks ago I noticed that all the recent folders I'd given custom icons to using GC8 had no icon at all - not even the Finder's default folder icon. Doing Get Info shows a black square with a white document outline in it the Preview area and nothing at all in the icon area at the upper left. > > > At first I'd attributed it to the known image preview problems the Finder has been having in all versions since Snow Leopard was rolled out (fuzzy, scrambled or missing icons) but that is always resolved for me by a Finder relaunch or in most stubborn cases a full reboot. But not in this case - the Finder icons are still blank. > In order to put custom icons on the folders I have to delete them in the Get Info window and add them using GC 6.7.7. > > As far as I'm aware there were no OS updates or GC updates applied between the time GC8 made proper folder icons and when they became suddenly missing in the Finder. > This same problem is happening on our MacMini running Lion Server - so it may be something more than a corrupt plist, unless those on all our Macs were corrupted at the same time. > > GC 8.3.1(1058) > GC 6.7.7 > MacOS 10.6.8 & 10.7.5 >
thorstenlemke

Re: Browser misbehaviour [1 Attachment]

Post by thorstenlemke »

Hello,hmm, did you try to trash the prefs?Thorsten On 10.12.2012, at 14:45, Jim Mueller <jimmueller@mac.com> wrote:   I am going to delete GC 8's preferences to see if this problem is resolved, but I wanted to report it in case there is something else going on. For years I have used GC's "Add Image As Folder Icon" command to put a custom icon on folders (despite the fact that in GC8 it's now buried 3 levels deep in the browser's contextual menu) with no problems. Suddenly a few weeks ago I noticed that all the recent folders I'd given custom icons to using GC8 had no icon at all - not even the Finder's default folder icon. Doing Get Info shows a black square with a white document outline in it the Preview area and nothing at all in the icon area at the upper left. Attachment(s) from
Jim Mueller

Post by Jim Mueller »

Sorry - thought I had said that deleting the icon in Get Info returns to the Finder default folder icon. Guess I had not in so many words. On Dec 10, 2012, at 11:46 AM, watcombeman wrote:   What happens when you select the icon in Get Info and then delete it? Does it revert to a default icon? John. --- In gcmac@yahoogroups.com, Jim Mueller <jimmueller@...> wrote: > > I am going to delete GC 8's preferences to see if this problem is resolved, but I wanted to report it in case there is something else going on. > > For years I have used GC's "Add Image As Folder Icon" command to put a custom icon on folders (despite the fact that in GC8 it's now buried 3 levels deep in the browser's contextual menu) with no problems. > Suddenly a few weeks ago I noticed that all the recent folders I'd given custom icons to using GC8 had no icon at all - not even the Finder's default folder icon. Doing Get Info shows a black square with a white document outline in it the Preview area and nothing at all in the icon area at the upper left. > > > At first I'd attributed it to the known image preview problems the Finder has been having in all versions since Snow Leopard was rolled out (fuzzy, scrambled or missing icons) but that is always resolved for me by a Finder relaunch or in most stubborn cases a full reboot. But not in this case - the Finder icons are still blank. > In order to put custom icons on the folders I have to delete them in the Get Info window and add them using GC 6.7.7. > > As far as I'm aware there were no OS updates or GC updates applied between the time GC8 made proper folder icons and when they became suddenly missing in the Finder. > This same problem is happening on our MacMini running Lion Server - so it may be something more than a corrupt plist, unless those on all our Macs were corrupted at the same time. > > GC 8.3.1(1058) > GC 6.7.7 > MacOS 10.6.8 & 10.7.5 >
Jim Mueller

Post by Jim Mueller »

Now that you confirmed which is the correct plist, I will try deleting it - though it began happening on two different Macs at the same time. On Dec 10, 2012, at 12:35 PM, Thorsten Lemke wrote:   Hello,hmm, did you try to trash the prefs?Thorsten On 10.12.2012, at 14:45, Jim Mueller <jimmueller@mac.com> wrote:   I am going to delete GC 8's preferences to see if this problem is resolved, but I wanted to report it in case there is something else going on. For years I have used GC's "Add Image As Folder Icon" command to put a custom icon on folders (despite the fact that in GC8 it's now buried 3 levels deep in the browser's contextual menu) with no problems. Suddenly a few weeks ago I noticed that all the recent folders I'd given custom icons to using GC8 had no icon at all - not even the Finder's default folder icon. Doing Get Info shows a black square with a white document outline in it the Preview area and nothing at all in the icon area at the upper left. Attachment(s) from
Jim Mueller

Post by Jim Mueller »

Deleting the correct plist on my MacBook Pro resolved the problem with the missing custom folder icons.Bizarrely, it also resolved the problem of the missing custom folder icons on the Lion Server. I do not mean when the folders are viewed as a mounted share on the MacBook Pro - I mean when actually viewed on the Mini's monitor. On Dec 10, 2012, at 9:50 PM, Jim Mueller wrote:   Now that you confirmed which is the correct plist, I will try deleting it - though it began happening on two different Macs at the same time.On Dec 10, 2012, at 12:35 PM, Thorsten Lemke wrote:   Hello,hmm, did you try to trash the prefs?Thorsten On 10.12.2012, at 14:45, Jim Mueller <jimmueller@mac.com> wrote:   I am going to delete GC 8's preferences to see if this problem is resolved, but I wanted to report it in case there is something else going on. For years I have used GC's "Add Image As Folder Icon" command to put a custom icon on folders (despite the fact that in GC8 it's now buried 3 levels deep in the browser's contextual menu) with no problems. Suddenly a few weeks ago I noticed that all the recent folders I'd given custom icons to using GC8 had no icon at all - not even the Finder's default folder icon. Doing Get Info shows a black square with a white document outline in it the Preview area and nothing at all in the icon area at the upper left. Attachment(s) from