Problems with 11" MacBook Air

This area contains the messages from the old Yahoo gcmac group after the port.
David Morrison

Problems with 11" MacBook Air

Post by David Morrison »

I use my 11" MacBook Air to give slide shows to groups. It is light, convenient and does what is required. However, I am having some problems with the Preference windows. Some of them are so long that the bottom of them runs off the bottom of the screen. (The screen is 768 pixels high, and that has to include the menu bar.) Some examples are: Browser pane:General, Slide Show pane: General. There may be others. Unfortunately the Cancel and Ok buttons are at the bottom of the window, and are often off the screen, so there is no obvious way to close the Preferences window. :-( (Actually, there is a way: Select one of the other preferences that is shorter.) While investigating this, I discovered another oddity. When one of these long windows is open, I wondered if I could bring it back onto the screen by hiding the toolbar. I did so, and the whole window contents moved up, but not enough to show the Cancel and OK buttons. When I showed the toolbar again, the window contents did not move down again, but the top of the window moved up, taking the title bar off the top of the screen. It was easy enough to drag the whole window down a bit, but I think it should really have left the title bar where it was and moved the rest of the window down to make room for the toolbar. This is all with 8.5.1 (116). I do not know if this was happening with earlier versions.
Michael Temkin

Re: Problems with 11" MacBook Air

Post by Michael Temkin »

In theory you could use the 3-finger drag to push the window up and lose the top of the window to see the bottom, but the window is blocked from going up under the menubar.  There also doesn't appear to be any drag handles on the sides of the window either.  The most obvious thing would be to put the main contents into a scrollable region.  Currently the window is cut off at the middle (vertically) of the "Restore Defaults" and "Last Values" buttons.Mike. On Feb 3, 2013, at 7:16 AM, David Morrison <davidmorrisonlist@gmail.com> wrote:   I use my 11" MacBook Air to give slide shows to groups. It is light, convenient and does what is required. However, I am having some problems with the Preference windows. Some of them are so long that the bottom of them runs off the bottom of the screen. (The screen is 768 pixels high, and that has to include the menu bar.) Some examples are: Browser pane:General, Slide Show pane: General. There may be others. Unfortunately the Cancel and Ok buttons are at the bottom of the window, and are often off the screen, so there is no obvious way to close the Preferences window. :-( (Actually, there is a way: Select one of the other preferences that is shorter.) While investigating this, I discovered another oddity. When one of these long windows is open, I wondered if I could bring it back onto the screen by hiding the toolbar. I did so, and the whole window contents moved up, but not enough to show the Cancel and OK buttons. When I showed the toolbar again, the window contents did not move down again, but the top of the window moved up, taking the title bar off the top of the screen. It was easy enough to drag the whole window down a bit, but I think it should really have left the title bar where it was and moved the rest of the window down to make room for the toolbar. This is all with 8.5.1 (116). I do not know if this was happening with earlier versions.
Robert Poland

Post by Robert Poland »

On Feb 3, 2013, at 6:16 AM, David Morrison <davidmorrisonlist@gmail.com> wrote: > I use my 11" MacBook Air to give slide shows to groups. It is light, > convenient and does what is required. > > However, I am having some problems with the Preference windows. Some > of them are so long that the bottom of them runs off the bottom of > the screen. (The screen is 768 pixels high, and that has to include > the menu bar.) > > Some examples are: Browser pane:General, Slide Show pane: General. > There may be others. > > Unfortunately the Cancel and Ok buttons are at the bottom of the > window, and are often off the screen, so there is no obvious way to > close the Preferences window. :-( > > (Actually, there is a way: Select one of the other preferences that > is shorter.) > > While investigating this, I discovered another oddity. When one of > these long windows is open, I wondered if I could bring it back onto > the screen by hiding the toolbar. I did so, and the whole window > contents moved up, but not enough to show the Cancel and OK buttons. > > When I showed the toolbar again, the window contents did not move > down again, but the top of the window moved up, taking the title bar > off the top of the screen. It was easy enough to drag the whole > window down a bit, but I think it should really have left the title > bar where it was and moved the rest of the window down to make room > for the toolbar. > > This is all with 8.5.1 (116). I do not know if this was happening > with earlier versions. Did you try clicking the green button at the top left corner? Robert Poland - Fort Collins, CO
Michael Temkin

Post by Michael Temkin »

I missed the toolbar part of David's message (just woke up) and went back to experiment.  If I hide the toolbar on the SlideShow -> General pane, I can just get to the "Cancel" and "Ok" buttons (top half anyway).  I could then put the toolbar back (and has he points out, the window expands upwards, but then I could 3-finger click on the little bit of toolbar space and push it upwards to reveal just a bit more.  It also just makes it on the Browser -> General pane.  It should be corrected, but it is a workaround.Mike. On Feb 3, 2013, at 8:12 AM, Michael Temkin <michael.temkin@att.net> wrote:   In theory you could use the 3-finger drag to push the window up and lose the top of the window to see the bottom, but the window is blocked from going up under the menubar.  There also doesn't appear to be any drag handles on the sides of the window either.  The most obvious thing would be to put the main contents into a scrollable region.  Currently the window is cut off at the middle (vertically) of the "Restore Defaults" and "Last Values" buttons.Mike.On Feb 3, 2013, at 7:16 AM, David Morrison <davidmorrisonlist@gmail.com> wrote:   I use my 11" MacBook Air to give slide shows to groups. It is light, convenient and does what is required. However, I am having some problems with the Preference windows. Some of them are so long that the bottom of them runs off the bottom of the screen. (The screen is 768 pixels high, and that has to include the menu bar.) Some examples are: Browser pane:General, Slide Show pane: General. There may be others. Unfortunately the Cancel and Ok buttons are at the bottom of the window, and are often off the screen, so there is no obvious way to close the Preferences window. :-( (Actually, there is a way: Select one of the other preferences that is shorter.) While investigating this, I discovered another oddity. When one of these long windows is open, I wondered if I could bring it back onto the screen by hiding the toolbar. I did so, and the whole window contents moved up, but not enough to show the Cancel and OK buttons. When I showed the toolbar again, the window contents did not move down again, but the top of the window moved up, taking the title bar off the top of the screen. It was easy enough to drag the whole window down a bit, but I think it should really have left the title bar where it was and moved the rest of the window down to make room for the toolbar. This is all with 8.5.1 (116). I do not know if this was happening with earlier versions.
Michael Temkin

Post by Michael Temkin »

The preferences don't have the button set on it...  At least, not on my copy of the latest beta...  David?Mike. On Feb 3, 2013, at 8:18 AM, Robert Poland <rpoland@usa.net> wrote:   On Feb 3, 2013, at 6:16 AM, David Morrison davidmorrisonlist@gmail.com> wrote: > I use my 11" MacBook Air to give slide shows to groups. It is light, > convenient and does what is required. > > However, I am having some problems with the Preference windows. Some > of them are so long that the bottom of them runs off the bottom of > the screen. (The screen is 768 pixels high, and that has to include > the menu bar.) > > Some examples are: Browser pane:General, Slide Show pane: General. > There may be others. > > Unfortunately the Cancel and Ok buttons are at the bottom of the > window, and are often off the screen, so there is no obvious way to > close the Preferences window. :-( > > (Actually, there is a way: Select one of the other preferences that > is shorter.) > > While investigating this, I discovered another oddity. When one of > these long windows is open, I wondered if I could bring it back onto > the screen by hiding the toolbar. I did so, and the whole window > contents moved up, but not enough to show the Cancel and OK buttons. > > When I showed the toolbar again, the window contents did not move > down again, but the top of the window moved up, taking the title bar > off the top of the screen. It was easy enough to drag the whole > window down a bit, but I think it should really have left the title > bar where it was and moved the rest of the window down to make room > for the toolbar. > > This is all with 8.5.1 (116). I do not know if this was happening > with earlier versions. Did you try clicking the green button at the top left corner? Robert Poland - Fort Collins, CO
Robert Poland

Post by Robert Poland »

On Feb 3, 2013, at 7:55 AM, Michael Temkin <michael.temkin@att.net> wrote: > > > The preferences don't have the button set on it... At least, not on my copy of the latest beta... David? > > Mike. You're right I should have checked, sorry. > On Feb 3, 2013, at 8:18 AM, Robert Poland <rpoland@usa.net> wrote: > >> >> On Feb 3, 2013, at 6:16 AM, David Morrison davidmorrisonlist@gmail.com> wrote: >> >> > I use my 11" MacBook Air to give slide shows to groups. It is light, >> > convenient and does what is required. >> > >> > However, I am having some problems with the Preference windows. Some >> > of them are so long that the bottom of them runs off the bottom of >> > the screen. (The screen is 768 pixels high, and that has to include >> > the menu bar.) >> > >> > Some examples are: Browser pane:General, Slide Show pane: General. >> > There may be others. >> > >> > Unfortunately the Cancel and Ok buttons are at the bottom of the >> > window, and are often off the screen, so there is no obvious way to >> > close the Preferences window. :-( >> > >> > (Actually, there is a way: Select one of the other preferences that >> > is shorter.) >> > >> > While investigating this, I discovered another oddity. When one of >> > these long windows is open, I wondered if I could bring it back onto >> > the screen by hiding the toolbar. I did so, and the whole window >> > contents moved up, but not enough to show the Cancel and OK buttons. >> > >> > When I showed the toolbar again, the window contents did not move >> > down again, but the top of the window moved up, taking the title bar >> > off the top of the screen. It was easy enough to drag the whole >> > window down a bit, but I think it should really have left the title >> > bar where it was and moved the rest of the window down to make room >> > for the toolbar. >> > >> > This is all with 8.5.1 (116). I do not know if this was happening >> > with earlier versions. >> >> Did you try clicking the green button at the top left corner? >> >> Robert Poland - Fort Collins, CO Robert Poland - Fort Collins, CO
David Morrison

Post by David Morrison »

>Did you try clicking the green button at the top left corner? There is no green button there, or red or amber. Even if there was, what could it do as the screen is just not big enough. The real answer is to make the windows not so long. Maybe split those long panes into two separate ones, or at least make them scrollable as Mike suggested.
Bill Bedford

Post by Bill Bedford »

On Mon, 4 Feb 2013 00:16:29 +1100, David Morrison wrote: > I use my 11" MacBook Air to give slide shows to groups. It is light, > convenient and does what is required. > > However, I am having some problems with the Preference windows. Some > of them are so long that the bottom of them runs off the bottom of > the screen. (The screen is 768 pixels high, and that has to include > the menu bar.) > > Some examples are: Browser pane:General, Slide Show pane: General. > There may be others. > > Unfortunately the Cancel and Ok buttons are at the bottom of the > window, and are often off the screen, so there is no obvious way to > close the Preferences window. :-( > Use the keyboard. Return and Enter are equivalent to OK and Escape is to Cancel. -- Bill Bedford "Man is an animal suspended in webs of significance he himself has spun" -- Clifford Geertz
thorstenlemke

Post by thorstenlemke »

Hi David,thanks for your note.Please download the latest BETA an recheck.http://www.lemkesoft.org/beta.htmlPlease report dialogs which are still to large (please e-mail screenshot of them).Thorsten (important note: please always include this complete email in your reply) On 03.02.2013, at 14:16, David Morrison <davidmorrisonlist@gmail.com> wrote:   I use my 11" MacBook Air to give slide shows to groups. It is light, convenient and does what is required. However, I am having some problems with the Preference windows. Some of them are so long that the bottom of them runs off the bottom of the screen. (The screen is 768 pixels high, and that has to include the menu bar.) Some examples are: Browser pane:General, Slide Show pane: General. There may be others. Unfortunately the Cancel and Ok buttons are at the bottom of the window, and are often off the screen, so there is no obvious way to close the Preferences window. :-(
Michael Temkin

Post by Michael Temkin »

Hi Thorsten,Not sure about David, but both SlideShow -> General and Browser -> General show up fine on my 11" MBA screen.Regards,Mike. On Feb 3, 2013, at 10:44 AM, Thorsten Lemke <lemke@lemkesoft.de> wrote:   Hi David,thanks for your note.Please download the latest BETA an recheck.http://www.lemkesoft.org/beta.htmlPlease report dialogs which are still to large (please e-mail screenshot of them).Thorsten (important note: please always include this complete email in your reply)On 03.02.2013, at 14:16, David Morrison <davidmorrisonlist@gmail.com> wrote:   I use my 11" MacBook Air to give slide shows to groups. It is light, convenient and does what is required. However, I am having some problems with the Preference windows. Some of them are so long that the bottom of them runs off the bottom of the screen. (The screen is 768 pixels high, and that has to include the menu bar.) Some examples are: Browser pane:General, Slide Show pane: General. There may be others. Unfortunately the Cancel and Ok buttons are at the bottom of the window, and are often off the screen, so there is no obvious way to close the Preferences window. :-(