Problem with posts from gmail

This area contains the messages from the old Yahoo gcmac group after the port.
Tom Boyd

Problem with posts from gmail

Post by Tom Boyd »

I use Apple's mail client with a gmail account. When I try to post a message, Yahoo groups rejects my post with a message saying that it is a suspected violation of the guidelines. I can post if I use the gmail web client to send the email. Does anyone know why this is happening and how to fix it? Tom
Ron DePugh

Re: Problem with posts from gmail

Post by Ron DePugh »

Hi, Tom- That's most likely happening because when you send through the gmail web page, the message is coming from a google mail server, and so matches the e-mail address you are sending from (@gmail). It looks like you have Verizon as your ISP. When you use your Mac Mail app, you are sending your mail through your ISP's mail server, and Verizon does not match your gmail address, so some receiving servers (especially yahoo) will perceive that as spam. There are a couple of ways to fix it. One, use a Verizon address when you send with Mac Mail (you'll have to subscribe to the yahoo list with that address), or get your own domain name (about $12 per year) and hosting (maybe $5 per month). That way you can use your hosting service mail server and it would match your domain name and e-mail address.. I can provide you with contact info for the hosting company I've been using for many years. Hope that helps. Tom Boyd wrote: > I use Apple's mail client with a gmail account. When I try to post a > message, Yahoo groups rejects my post with a message saying that it is a > suspected violation of the guidelines. I can post if I use the gmail web > client to send the email. Does anyone know why this is happening and how > to fix it? > > Tom > -- -Ron DePugh Boulder, Colorado USA
Roberto Manuel Latorre

Post by Roberto Manuel Latorre »

Would you send me that hosting company info, please? Remember, you're unique, just like everybody else. From: Ron DePugh <ronyh@rockymountainmoggers.com> To: gcmac@yahoogroups.com Sent: Tuesday, February 19, 2013 5:34 PM Subject: Re: [gcmac] Problem with posts from gmail Hi, Tom-  That's most likely happening because when you send through the gmail web page, the message is coming from a google mail server, and so matches the e-mail address you are sending from (@gmail).    It looks like you have Verizon as your ISP. When you use your Mac Mail app, you are sending your mail through your ISP's mail server, and Verizon does not match your gmail address, so some receiving servers (especially yahoo) will perceive that as spam.    There are a couple of ways to fix it. One, use a Verizon address when you send with Mac Mail (you'll have to subscribe to the yahoo list with that address), or get your own domain name (about $12 per year) and hosting (maybe $5 per month). That way you can use your hosting service mail server and it would match your domain name and e-mail address.. I can provide you with contact info for the hosting company I've been using for many years.    Hope that helps.Tom Boyd wrote: > I use Apple's mail client with a gmail account. When I try to post a> message, Yahoo groups rejects my post with a message saying that it is a> suspected violation of the guidelines. I can post if I use the gmail web> client to send the email. Does anyone know why this is happening and how> to fix it?>> Tom> -- -Ron DePughBoulder, Colorado USA------------------------------------Yahoo! Groups Links<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/gcmac/<*> Your email settings:    Individual Email : Traditional<*> To change settings online go to:    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/gcmac/join    (Yahoo! ID required)<*> To change settings via email:    gcmac-digest@yahoogroups.com     gcmac-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:    gcmac-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
Ron DePugh

Post by Ron DePugh »

Hi, Roberto- The domains are at: http://www.linkskydomains.com/ and the hosting is at: http://www.linksky.com/main/bsyst/aff.php?aff=011 I've used this company for over 10 years. Their uptime is excellent, servers are fast, and tech support is very quick to respond. Roberto Manuel Latorre wrote: > Would you send me that hosting company info, please? > > Remember, you're unique, just like everybody else. > -- -Ron DePugh Boulder, Colorado USA
Carl von Einem

Re: [OT] Problem with posts from gmail

Post by Carl von Einem »

Do you have and use more than one email address? It should work regardless of the email app you use. I prefer Thunderbird as it's (in my opinion) easier to set up if you use different email accounts. In your case most likely mail.app is set up with the wrong outgoing mail server for the email address you use. So you'll need to check if you send mails to the group using gmail's SMTP server and not the "default" one for your other mail account. If that's not the case, what's the exact error message? Carl Tom Boyd schrieb am 19.02.13 21:59: > I use Apple's mail client with a gmail account. When I try to post > a message, Yahoo groups rejects my post with a message saying that > it is a suspected violation of the guidelines. I can post if I use > the gmail web client to send the email. Does anyone know why this > is happening and how to fix it?
Mike Bauers

Post by Mike Bauers »

I'm finding that with some of the Yahoo groups a direct email sent from my Mac can show on their end as having an attachment. I've id'd this as messages that were created in Rich Text with the Mail editor. I see no indication of an attachment in my Sent archive. For those yahoo groups that are picking up this false attachment 'flag', I've found that if I send my messages in the plain text option sends a message with no problems found by Yahoo. I think what happens is my message on top is handled differently from the quoted section below that, and that quoted section gets detected as a separate attachment. I've seen my normally rich text edited messages turn up like that on e-lists before. Sending in plain text gets the identical message through with no problems. So I'm convinced its something with the rich text send that some e-group programs or settings are getting confused over. Try reposting in plain text from your regular address and see if any problems are detected. This may be a side effect of only some of the Yahoo group settings that individual groups are using, and not other groups. I only see this problem with a few of them. Best to ya... Mike Bauers Milwaukee, Wi, USA On Feb 19, 2013, at 2:59 PM, Tom Boyd <thboyd1@gmail.com> wrote: > I use Apple's mail client with a gmail account. When I try to post a message, Yahoo groups rejects my post with a message saying that it is a suspected violation of the guidelines. I can post if I use the gmail web client to send the email. Does anyone know why this is happening and how to fix it?
Tom Boyd

Re: [OT] Problem with posts from gmail

Post by Tom Boyd »

I just checked and you're right. Mail was using a different smtp server than the email address. Not sure why mail changes the sending server. Tom
Richard Decker

Post by Richard Decker »

I'm a caveman, first day off Eudora, using Mac email. How did I receive this? Just curious. Testing reply. Otis On Feb 19, 2013, at 4:34 PM, Ron DePugh wrote: > Hi, Tom- > > That's most likely happening because when you send through the gmail > web page, the message is coming from a google mail server, and so > matches the e-mail address you are sending from (@gmail). > > It looks like you have Verizon as your ISP. When you use your Mac > Mail app, you are sending your mail through your ISP's mail server, and > Verizon does not match your gmail address, so some receiving servers > (especially yahoo) will perceive that as spam. > > There are a couple of ways to fix it. One, use a Verizon address > when you send with Mac Mail (you'll have to subscribe to the yahoo list > with that address), or get your own domain name (about $12 per year) and > hosting (maybe $5 per month). That way you can use your hosting service > mail server and it would match your domain name and e-mail address.. I > can provide you with contact info for the hosting company I've been > using for many years. > > Hope that helps. > > > Tom Boyd wrote: >> I use Apple's mail client with a gmail account. When I try to post a >> message, Yahoo groups rejects my post with a message saying that it is a >> suspected violation of the guidelines. I can post if I use the gmail web >> client to send the email. Does anyone know why this is happening and how >> to fix it? >> >> Tom >> > > -- > > -Ron DePugh > Boulder, Colorado USA > > > > ------------------------------------ > > Yahoo! Groups Links > > >
Mark R. Williamson

Post by Mark R. Williamson »

On Apr 6, 2013, at 4:27 PM, Richard Decker <decker@amug.org> wrote: I'm a caveman, first day off Eudora, using Mac email. How did I receive this? Just curious. Testing reply. Check Mail > Preferences > Accounts > [nameofGmeilAccount] > Account Information > Outgoing Mail Server (SMTP) to be sure that it points to a Gmail server and not a Verizon server. It probably should read "Gmail" or similar.If the name selected in the popup is ambiguous, pull on down the popup list to Edit SMTP Server list and check to see that the Server Name in Account Information for that SMTP server says smtp.gmail.com or equivalent and that SSL is enabled under the Advanced tab.