Slideshow Feedback

This area contains the messages from the old Yahoo gcmac group after the port.
Nigel

Slideshow Feedback

Post by Nigel »

Hi Thorsten We have just compete the judging of our annual international photography exhibition which uses GC's excellent slideshow, browser and move features. There were no major issues and around 7.5k images were put in front of judges in the right order successfully. But there are a few niggles that I hope you may be able to address in future releases. Or tell me what I am doing wrong! The process is run on a MacMini, OSX 10.6.8 with a 2.53Ghz Core 2 Duo processor and 4Gb of RAM. The only other application running is Time Machine and WiFi is switched off. The images are all scaled in advance to fit the projector resolution so no further re-sizing is necessary. Formats are either .tiff or .jpg and they range in size from about 4.5Mb to less than 70Kb. End of show At the end of a section (which could be 900 images), when all the images have been viewed and "moved" I get a spinning beachball for 10s of seconds after the last image. Where there are fewer images, and some have not been moved, the show sometimes starts again although loop is not selected. I expect it to just stop. Rotate Using the rotate shortcuts CMD/L and CMD/R during the slideshow sometimes takes a good few seconds to react. Move shortcuts With an image selected in a browser window, the move shortcut CMD, ALT 1 changes the browser to column view rather than moving the image. I can find no default keyboard shortcut set for this key combination. Move progress When an image is moved, a progress (?) window briefly flashes on screen as the next image appears. It is never there long enough to read and does not always appear. I have not been able to work out why it sometimes does and sometimes doesn't. It doesn't seem to be affected by file size. It is just a little distracting. Cursor I have mentioned this before I think, but when using the 3rd range of move folders (CMD ALT No.) the cursor appears on the image. It remains hidden with the other 2 ranges. Undo And just occasionally, if we make a mistake, it would be great if CMD Z during a slideshow undid the last move. Or another shortcut. Grateful as ever for all your hard work. Nigel
Wayne

Re: Slideshow Feedback

Post by Wayne »

My experience is the system you use may be too slow... Duo core and so on.. The flashing progress signs are symptoms of the cores in the CPU I guess. I used all kinds of Apple; and the faster and newer the better it seems - Apple tends to hide issues too! --- In gcmac@yahoogroups.com, "Nigel" <NigelOnline@...> wrote: > > Hi Thorsten > > We have just compete the judging of our annual international photography exhibition which uses GC's excellent slideshow, browser and move features. There were no major issues and around 7.5k images were put in front of judges in the right order successfully. But there are a few niggles that I hope you may be able to address in future releases. Or tell me what I am doing wrong! The process is run on a MacMini, OSX 10.6.8 with a 2.53Ghz Core 2 Duo processor and 4Gb of RAM. The only other application running is Time Machine and WiFi is switched off. The images are all scaled in advance to fit the projector resolution so no further re-sizing is necessary. Formats are either .tiff or .jpg and they range in size from about 4.5Mb to less than 70Kb. > > End of show > > At the end of a section (which could be 900 images), when all the images have been viewed and "moved" I get a spinning beachball for 10s of seconds after the last image. > > Where there are fewer images, and some have not been moved, the show sometimes starts again although loop is not selected. I expect it to just stop. > > Rotate > > Using the rotate shortcuts CMD/L and CMD/R during the slideshow sometimes takes a good few seconds to react. > > Move shortcuts > > With an image selected in a browser window, the move shortcut CMD, ALT 1 changes the browser to column view rather than moving the image. I can find no default keyboard shortcut set for this key combination. > > Move progress > > When an image is moved, a progress (?) window briefly flashes on screen as the next image appears. It is never there long enough to read and does not always appear. I have not been able to work out why it sometimes does and sometimes doesn't. It doesn't seem to be affected by file size. It is just a little distracting. > > Cursor > > I have mentioned this before I think, but when using the 3rd range of move folders (CMD ALT No.) the cursor appears on the image. It remains hidden with the other 2 ranges. > > Undo > > And just occasionally, if we make a mistake, it would be great if CMD Z during a slideshow undid the last move. Or another shortcut. > > Grateful as ever for all your hard work. > > Nigel >
thorstenlemke

Post by thorstenlemke »

Hi,please try to open the images in the slideshow with the reduced resolution option.Thorsten On 01.03.2013, at 18:38, "Nigel" <NigelOnline@mac.com> wrote:   Hi Thorsten We have just compete the judging of our annual international photography exhibition which uses GC's excellent slideshow, browser and move features. There were no major issues and around 7.5k images were put in front of judges in the right order successfully. But there are a few niggles that I hope you may be able to address in future releases. Or tell me what I am doing wrong! The process is run on a MacMini, OSX 10.6.8 with a 2.53Ghz Core 2 Duo processor and 4Gb of RAM. The only other application running is Time Machine and WiFi is switched off. The images are all scaled in advance to fit the projector resolution so no further re-sizing is necessary. Formats are either .tiff or .jpg and they range in size from about 4.5Mb to less than 70Kb. End of show At the end of a section (which could be 900 images), when all the images have been viewed and "moved" I get a spinning beachball for 10s of seconds after the last image. Where there are fewer images, and some have not been moved, the show sometimes starts again although loop is not selected. I expect it to just stop. Rotate Using the rotate sho
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Thanks Wayne. You maybe right about the system, I can't reproduce the flashes of progress bars on my more recent (i7) MacBook Pro. But I doubt I can persuade my camera club to upgrade again just yet. Thorsten - the images are already at 1400 x 1050 pixels max to match the projector resolution. What effect would checking the "open images at reduced resolution" have on the quality - if any? Sorry but I'm not sure of the exact function of this preference option. Regards Nigel --- In gcmac@yahoogroups.com, Thorsten Lemke <lemke@...> wrote: > > Hi, > > please try to open the images in the slideshow with the reduced resolution option. > > Thorsten > > > On 01.03.2013, at 18:38, "Nigel" <NigelOnline@...> wrote: > > > Hi Thorsten > > > > We have just compete the judging of our annual international photography exhibition which uses GC's excellent slideshow, browser and move features. There were no major issues and around 7.5k images were put in front of judges in the right order successfully. But there are a few niggles that I hope you may be able to address in future releases. Or tell me what I am doing wrong! The process is run on a MacMini, OSX 10.6.8 with a 2.53Ghz Core 2 Duo processor and 4Gb of RAM. The only other application running is Time Machine and WiFi is switched off. The images are all scaled in advance to fit the projector resolution so no further re-sizing is necessary. Formats are either .tiff or .jpg and they range in size from about 4.5Mb to less than 70Kb. > > > > End of show > > > > At the end of a section (which could be 900 images), when all the images have been viewed and "moved" I get a spinning beachball for 10s of seconds after the last image. > > > > Where there are fewer images, and some have not been moved, the show sometimes starts again although loop is not selected. I expect it to just stop. > > > > Rotate > > > > Using the rotate sho >