Browser Opening is slow

This area contains the messages from the old Yahoo gcmac group after the port.
pixelmac

Re: Browser Opening is slow

Post by pixelmac »

Thank you Thorsten, your tip solved my 'beach Ball' problem once and for all. Dan --- In gcmac@yahoogroups.com, Thorsten Lemke <lemke@...> wrote: > > Hello, > > please look into the help menu for the item performance optimization. Also, please try to trash the prefs. > > Thorsten > > On 10.04.2013, at 18:28, "danmoch" <danmoch@...> wrote: > > > Has anyone had an issue with slow opening of browser windows with GC 8.5? > > > > I am having a problem where opening a new browser window is very slow. Initial browser window opening takes 40 to 60 seconds, subsequent openings 12 to 13 secs. > > This happens only when one particular drive is mounted on the desktop. The drive is a 2TB WD caviar holding my main photo library as well as my working iTunes library. My startup drive is a separate 240 GB SSD which holds all my applications. > > > > The slow browser opening occurs when trying to open any folder, whether it is on the slow drive or not, even if it is a folder on the SSD startup drive. > > > > When I open a browser window using GC 6.7.7, the times are very fast (less than 1 second) under the same conditions where GC 8.5.3 is having problems. > > > > The drive which is associated with the slowdown passes SMART tests, reporting only a partial issue with slow spin up times. Again, the slowdown happens even when the drive is spun up, as well as when I'm accessing a folder not on the problem drive, and does not happen with GC 6.7.7. > > > > The other details of my system: > > OS 10.8.3 Mac Pro 2009, 8 core 2.66 GHz, 16 GB RAM, All drives are installed in the Mac Pro (not in external enclosures) > > > > Any help would be appreciated! > > > > Dan > > > > >