Viewing Panoramic Images

This area contains the messages from the old Yahoo gcmac group after the port.
Larry Stoter

Viewing Panoramic Images

Post by Larry Stoter »

Hi, I have recently be taking panoramic images with quite large aspect ratios 5:1 and greater. These don't really display very well on a monitor or TV. What I would like to do is: 1. Convert these into a short movie, which, perhaps, starts by showing the whole image, zooms into one end, pans across and zooms out when the other end is reached. 2. Runs automatically as part of a slide show of mainly still jpegs? Can I do this with GC? How? Thannks you, Larry Stoter (Working on a Microsoft-free computer)
thorstenlemke

Re: Viewing Panoramic Images

Post by thorstenlemke »

Hi Larry,that is currently not possible.Thorsten On 12.05.2013, at 08:23, Larry Stoter <larry.stoter@gmail.com> wrote:   Hi, I have recently be taking panoramic images with quite large aspect ratios 5:1 and greater. These don't really display very well on a monitor or TV. What I would like to do is: 1. Convert these into a short movie, which, perhaps, starts by showing the whole image, zooms into one end, pans across and zooms out when the other end is reached. 2. Runs automatically as part of a slide show of mainly still jpegs? Can I do this with GC? How? Thannks you, Larry Stoter (Working on a Microsoft-free computer)
Larry Stoter

Post by Larry Stoter »

Thorsten,OK - thank you.I did spend some time trying to work out how I might be able to do it and couldn't ….Larry On 12 May 2013, at 08:08, Thorsten Lemke <lemke@lemkesoft.de> wrote:   Hi Larry,that is currently not possible.Thorsten On 12.05.2013, at 08:23, Larry Stoter <larry.stoter@gmail.com> wrote:   Hi, I have recently be taking panoramic images with quite large aspect ratios 5:1 and greater. These don't really display very well on a monitor or TV. What I would like to do is: 1. Convert these into a short movie, which, perhaps, starts by showing the whole image, zooms into one end, pans across and zooms out when the other end is reached. 2. Runs automatically as part of a slide show of mainly still jpegs? Can I do this with GC? How? Thannks you, Larry Stoter (Working on a Microsoft-free computer)
Carl von Einem

Post by Carl von Einem »

Hi Larry, the 5:1 aspect ratio tells me you shoot partial panoramas. Is that from a panoramic camera or do you stitch several images? Either way it is usually simple to reproject to equirectangular (can be done in e.g. Hugin or PTGui) and expand the canvas so your panorama is in the center of a full 360 x 180 degrees frame. As soon as you have a QTVR file you can script a movie (the way you describe it) using Pano2Movie and export to a QuickTime .mov, I think the developer Ian James Wood has plans to make Pano2Movie to also accept equirectangular images as an input, let's see what the future brings. http://pano2movie.com/ (free trial available) http://hugin.sf.net/ (Open Source) or http://ptgui.com/ (free trial available) An alternative way is described here: http://wiki.panotools.org/Animating_pan ... in_Blender Cheers, Carl Larry Stoter schrieb am 12.05.13 09:26: > > Thorsten, > > OK - thank you. > > I did spend some time trying to work out how I might be able to do it > and couldn't … > > On 12 May 2013, at 08:08, Thorsten Lemke <lemke@lemkesoft.de > <mailto:lemke@lemkesoft.de>> wrote: > >> Hi Larry, >> >> that is currently not possible. >> >> Thorsten >> >> On 12.05.2013, at 08:23, Larry Stoter <larry.stoter@gmail.com >> <mailto:larry.stoter@gmail.com>> wrote: >>> >>> I have recently be taking panoramic images with quite large aspect >>> ratios 5:1 and greater. >>> These don't really display very well on a monitor or TV. >>> What I would like to do is: >>> 1. Convert these into a short movie, which, perhaps, starts by >>> showing the whole image, zooms into one end, pans across and zooms >>> out when the other end is reached. >>> 2. Runs automatically as part of a slide show of mainly still jpegs? >>> Can I do this with GC? >>> How?