Importing and renaming MOV and THM from Canon EOS 550D

This area contains the messages from the old Yahoo gcmac group after the port.
havema1

Importing and renaming MOV and THM from Canon EOS 550D

Post by havema1 »

When launching GC, v8.2.2 doesn't seem to have the prompt to download images from a memory card like v6.7.7 does.v6.7.7 then downloads also THM files that contain the EXIF data for Canon EOS 550D MOV files.https://www.dropbox.com/s/ye7snjxwn5cfy45/gc677.jpgBTW, GC 6.7.7 downloads THM ONLY from a memory card, NOT from the camera via USB cable. But I digress...v8.2.2 seems to only offer an option to download via the browsers's "Devices" which doesn't show or download THM even if THM files are set to be shown in the browser prefs.On the other hand, v8.2.2 can show THM in the memory card's DCIM/100CANON directory, but then it is clumsy to download them: The user has to un-ignore THM in the browser prefs, then select all the images at DCIM/100CANON, right-click and choose Copy Images to...But then there is no option to sort images into subfolders depending on extension.https://www.dropbox.com/s/qdw6xtu5sfj4m ... jpgCanon's MOV files don't have EXIF data because it is carried in the THM file.If you ignore THM, then also the "bare" MOV files do have QuickTime dates and GC 6.7.7 shows them correctly via its EXIF info box.But for some strange reason GC renames such "bare" MOV files +4 hours (v8.2.2) or +2 hours (v6.7.7) off (I live +2 hours GMT).The EXIF tool forums indicate that QuickTime specificate states that the stored time should be in UTC. Might this explain the behaviour?http://u88.n24.queensu.ca/exiftool/foru ... c=3416.0An example 13 MB Canon EOS 550D MOV and THM pair downloaded with GC 6.7.7 is at:https://www.dropbox.com/s/3fw35ib0dp1i1 ... 50d.zipThe MOV was taken November 15th 2013 starting at 18:32:06. GC needs the THM file to rename the MOV correctly via EXIF.Also the bare MOV has the QuickTime date & time embedded. GC 6.7.7 can show it via Windows > Show Information > ExifTool. There seems to be no such info box in GC 8.2.2.Now, delete or move the THM file to another folder: then neither GC 6.7.7 or 8.2.2 can correctly rename such a "bare" MOV file: GC 6.7.7. renames it +2 hours and GC 8.2.2 renames it +4 hours (I live UTC +2 hours UTC). Why?So: I'd like to have a GC 6.7.7 -like download option from a memory card option also in v8.thanks,- Matti
thorstenlemke

Re: Importing and renaming MOV and THM from Canon EOS 550D

Post by thorstenlemke »

Hi,GraphicConverter 8.8.x does use the new Apple Image CaptureCore framework. Because Apple will drop the old Carbon framework soon.Normally all files are transferred. Please check the browser prefs. Maybe the THM extension is set to hidden.Thorsten On 15.11.2013, at 19:09, matti.haveri@gmail.com wrote: When launching GC, v8.2.2 doesn't seem to have the prompt to download images from a memory card like v6.7.7 does.v6.7.7 then downloads also THM files that contain the EXIF data for Canon EOS 550D MOV files.
havema1

Post by havema1 »

Hello,Even if THM files are set to be shown in the browser prefs they are not imported via Devices.BTW, neither the Image Capture.app imports THM.(I have deleted~/Library/Preferences/com.lemkesoft.graphicconverter.plist and~/Library/Application Support/GraphicConverterand rebuilt them from scratch but that didn't help)- Matti ---In gcmac@yahoogroups.com, <lemke@...> wrote:Hi,GraphicConverter 8.8.x does use the new Apple Image CaptureCore framework. Because Apple will drop the old Carbon framework soon.Normally all files are transferred. Please check the browser prefs. Maybe the THM extension is set to hidden.Thorsten On 15.11.2013, at 19:09, matti.haveri@... wrote: When launching GC, v8.2.2 doesn't seem to have the prompt to download images from a memory card like v6.7.7 does.v6.7.7 then downloads also THM files that contain the EXIF data for Canon EOS 550D MOV files.
thorstenlemke

Post by thorstenlemke »

Hello,so, an Image Capture issue and not GraphicConverter.Thorsten On 15.11.2013, at 21:31, <matti.haveri@gmail.com> <matti.haveri@gmail.com> wrote: Hello,Even if THM files are set to be shown in the browser prefs they are not imported via Devices.BTW, neither the Image Capture.app imports THM.(I have deleted~/Library/Preferences/com.lemkesoft.graphicconverter.plist and~/Library/Application Support/GraphicConverterand rebuilt them from scratch but that didn't help). 
havema1

Post by havema1 »

> an Image Capture issue and not GraphicConverterI can report this to Apple although I don't believe they will listen a no-name end-user.One option is to just Finder-copy the memory card's contents and not use GC 8 for the MOV import step.I guess I continue to use GC 6.7.7 in OS X 10.9 and ignore the generic toolbox pane icons.- Matti