intermittent freezing when accessing network storage

This area contains the messages from the old Yahoo gcmac group after the port.
acct317839233

intermittent freezing when accessing network storage

Post by acct317839233 »

Hi all -I've recently tried using the GC browser to view pictures stored on a NAS (smb share), and the performance is terrible. When trying to browse folders on the network share it will freeze intermittently for about 5-10 secs, then be responsive for a few seconds, then freeze again, and keep doing this until I close/force quit GC. Even if I successfully close the browser window or navigate to a local folder it will continue to freeze intermittently until I close & reopen GC.I thought it might have something to do with thumbnails, but switching to 'fast thumbnails' and turning off 'write thumbnails to disk' doesn't seem to have fixed it.Any help?I haven't noticed any performance issues accessing the NAS using Finder or other programs. OSX 10.8.5, GC 8.8.2, QNAP NAS over smb, all gigabit ethernet.Thanks,Stephane
thorstenlemke

Re: intermittent freezing when accessing network storage

Post by thorstenlemke »

Hi,please download the latest BETA.It does ignore the many file system update events send from the NAS.Please check:http://www.lemkesoft.org/beta.htmlRegardsThorsten Lemke On 23.01.2014, at 00:49, <guinnessdiet@gmail.com> <guinnessdiet@gmail.com> wrote: Hi all -I've recently tried using the GC browser to view pictures stored on a NAS (smb share), and the performance is terrible. When trying to browse folders on the network share it will freeze intermittently for about 5-10 secs, then be responsive for a few seconds, then freeze again, and keep doing this until I close/force quit GC. Even if I successfully close the browser window or navigate to a local folder it will continue to freeze intermittently until I close & reopen GC.I thought it might have something to do with thumbnails, but switching to 'fast thumbnails' and turning off 'write thumbnails to disk' doesn't seem to have fixed it.Any help?I haven't noticed any performance issues accessing the NAS using Finder or other programs. OSX 10.8.5, GC 8.8.2, QNAP NAS over smb, all gigabit ethernet.Thanks,Stephane
Dominick Frank Issi

QTKitServer (Not Responding)

Post by Dominick Frank Issi »

I've recently noticed ... in Activity Monitor ... a process QTKitServer- GraphicConverter 9, that pops up with (Not Responding) in big red letters. This happens upon startup when I have GC9 running and need to do a restart for any reason. I've setup that I want OSX 10.9 to re-open all windows upon restart. When I shutdown GC9 and restart, QTKitServer also restarts and works just fine for about 5 min and then goes into a (Not Responding) mode. This happens with just having GC9 running in the background and putting no requirements on GC9.I'm using a new MacBook Pro with Retina Display (15") and 16G of memory with the newest OSX. I'm running QT Pro 7. I've worked with Apple Senior Tech folks on this for two weeks. They've, in turn, set their engineers on this issue. I've attached a snapshot of what I'm seeing in Activity Monitor and a dump of what Activity Monitor is seeing in "Open Files and Ports".Anyone else encounter this problem?DominickScreen Dump- "Open Files and Ports"/System/Library/Frameworks/QTKit.framework/Versions/A/XPCServices/com.apple.qtkitserver.xpc/Contents/MacOS/com.apple.qtkitserver/System/Library/Frameworks/Carbon.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/HIToolbox.framework/Versions/A/Resources/HIToolbox.rsrc/System/Library/Frameworks/Carbon.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/HIToolbox.framework/Versions/A/Resources/English.lproj/Localized.rsrc/System/Library/Frameworks/QuickTime.framework/Versions/A/Resources/QuickTime.rsrc/System/Library/Frameworks/QuickTime.framework/Versions/A/Resources/English.lproj/Localized.rsrc/private/var/folders/zw/sx73c48c8xjd1w0059bqrtrr0000gn/C/com.apple.scriptmanager2.le.cache/Library/QuickTime/LiveType.component/Contents/MacOS/LiveType/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/LiveType.framework/Versions/A/LiveType/Library/QuickTime/DivX Decoder.component/Contents/MacOS/DivX Decoder/Library/Frameworks/DivX Toolkit.framework/Versions/A/DivX Toolkit/private/var/folders/zw/sx73c48c8xjd1w0059bqrtrr0000gn/C/com.apple.LaunchServices-044501.csstore/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/Components/EyeTV MPEG Support.component/Contents/MacOS/EyeTV MPEG Support/usr/share/icu/icudt51l.dat/usr/lib/dyld/private/var/db/dyld/dyld_shared_cache_i386/dev/null/dev/null/dev/nullcount=2, state=0x2/System/Library/Frameworks/Carbon.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/HIToolbox.framework/Versions/A/Resources/HIToolbox.rsrc/System/Library/Frameworks/Carbon.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/HIToolbox.framework/Versions/A/Resources/English.lproj/Localized.rsrc/System/Library/Frameworks/QuickTime.framework/Versions/A/Resources/QuickTime.rsrc/System/Library/Frameworks/QuickTime.framework/Versions/A/Resources/English.lproj/Localized.rsrc->0x13868e8a9c3d5cf3
thorstenlemke

Re: QTKitServer (Not Responding) [1 Attachment]

Post by thorstenlemke »

Hello,thanks for your e-mail.The QTServer process is launched by the MacOS if QuickTime files are opened. So, more a system issue.ThorstenOn 23.01.2014, at 08:17, Dominick (Frank) Issi <fissi@verizon.net> wrote: I've recently noticed ... in Activity Monitor ... a process QTKitServer- GraphicConverter 9, that pops up with (Not Responding) in big red letters. This happens upon startup when I have GC9 running and need to do a restart for any reason. I've setup that I want OSX 10.9 to re-open all windows upon restart. When I shutdown GC9 and restart, QTKitServer also restarts and works just fine for about 5 min and then goes into a (Not Responding) mode. This happens with just having GC9 running in the background and putting no requirements on GC9.I'm using a new MacBook Pro with Retina Display (15") and 16G of memory with the newest OSX. I'm running QT Pro 7. I've worked with Apple Senior Tech folks on this for two weeks. They've, in turn, set their engineers on this issue. I've attached a snapshot of what I'm seeing in Activity Monitor and a dump of what Activity Monitor is seeing in "Open Files and Ports".Anyone else encounter this problem?Dominick<QTKitServer.png>Screen Dump- "Open Files and Port