Graphic Convertor CMYK Mode Issues

This area contains the messages from the old Yahoo gcmac group after the port.
Bob King

Graphic Convertor CMYK Mode Issues

Post by Bob King »

Using GC v9.0.2, MacOS10.9.1When compiling images from .png format to .tif format and changing mode from RGB to CMYK, the image is saved as part polarised and considered unusable. If the mode change is made to 'generic CMYK', the image remains as TrueColour ARGB, with a colour profile of Generic CMYK, not CMYK.Can't seem to get proper images in full CMYK format.Suggestions? RegardsBob KingMob:  0412 114 217Tel:  08 9383 4313
thorstenlemke

Re: Graphic Convertor CMYK Mode Issues

Post by thorstenlemke »

Dear Bob,I rechecked it here.It works. Did you really save the image as JPG or TIFF after the CMYK change?Not many formats do support the storage as CMYK.ThorstenOn 23.01.2014, at 04:22, Bob King <bobk@iinet.net.au> wrote: Using GC v9.0.2, MacOS10.9.1When compiling images from .png format to .tif format and changing mode from RGB to CMYK, the image is saved as part polarised and considered unusable. If the mode change is made to 'generic CMYK', the image remains as TrueColour ARGB, with a colour profile of Generic CMYK, not CMYK.Can't seem to get proper images in full CMYK format.Suggestions?RegardsBob KingMob:  0412 114 217Tel:  08 9383 4313. 
Bob King

Post by Bob King »

Hi Thorsten,Production sequence used is as follows:6 images constructed in PowerPoint at maximum size under Page Set-up [140 cm wide], then saved in .png format..png images opened in GC v9.0.2 and cropped.Images adjusted to publication width [20.5 cm] and resolution adjusted from 72 dpi to 300 dpi. Results in Generic RGB Profile and True Colour [ARGB].Saved images as .tif files in Finder.Adjusted Mode of image to CMYK [as graphics to be published], results in Generic RGB Profile and CMYK [32bit].Saved images as .tif [required format]. Images OK in GC with [CMYK+Alpha} header in file name; but when files are viewed in Finder, these are polarised [negative]. Note, that I do not see the same dialogue as your screen print when selecting Mode. [see screen shot]Have also tried 'Select Profile' under Mode and chosen Generic CMYK Profile for Source and Printer, with the result that this saves as .tif with colour profile of Generic CMYK and True Colour ARGB, and no polarisation. Publisher requires .tif format, 300 dpi minimum, with CMYK colour. Does not appear possible with GC.Am using MacBook Pro, running OS 10.9.1 RegardsBob KingMob:  0412 114 217Tel:  08 9383 4313 On 23.01.2014, at 15:55 pm, Thorsten Lemke <lemke@lemkesoft.de> wrote: Dear Bob,I rechecked it here.It works. Did you really save the image as JPG or TIFF after the CMYK change?Not many formats do support the storage as CMYK.Thorsten<GraphicConverter 9ScreenSnapz001.jpg>On 23.01.2014, at 04:22, Bob King <bobk@iinet.net.au> wrote:Using GC v9.0.2, MacOS10.9.1When compiling images from .png format to .tif format and changing mode from RGB to CMYK, the image is saved as part polarised and considered unusable. If the mode change is made to 'generic CMYK', the image remains as TrueColour ARGB, with a colour profile of Generic CMYK, not CMYK.Can't seem to get proper images in full CMYK format.Suggestions?RegardsBob KingMob:  0412 114 217Tel:  08 9383 4313. 
Carl von Einem

Re: Graphic Convertor CMYK Mode Issues [1 Attachment]

Post by Carl von Einem »

Hi Bob, I'm not sure why your file should contain an alpha channel unless you want to mask parts of the image. Not that it's a problem for layout / dtp software like InDesign or QuarkXPress but you end up with a higher file size plus that's IMHO one more factor that might puzzle your Finder's preview capabilities. BTW preview in Finder isn't necessarily accurate for CMYK data. Strange things can happen when non-aware software tries to display files with unusual color modes. The color profile part puzzles me and made me do a short test run here. In GC I "Save as" my RGB file as a .tif and make sure these options are selected: - LZW compression (doesn't harm quality, but these kind of files will be a lot smaller) - Embed ICC color profile Now in GC the Info palette says colors: True Color (RGB... Profile: AdobeRGB I switch the mode to CMYK and the info still mentions the AdobeRGB profile while instead a CMYK profile is needed now. Strange, when switching modes the file's profile should be converted automatically to a corresponding profile. Usually I'd expect some area in the settings where I can define a standard profile for each color or grayscale mode. GC seems to have a generic CMYK profile but it seems my file isn't converted in the appropriate color space using that profile. Thorsten, can I convert or set profiles somehow in GC? Wait, switching between GC and this Email I can see now that no profile is mentioned in the info box. I'd expect an option to (convert:set) a profile like FOGRA or ISOcoated. www.eci.org has a download section for http://www.eci.org/en/downloads -> ICC profiles from ECI BTW the publisher should also give information about the required CMYK profile, otherwise it's usually safer to send proper RGB images and let them do the RGB -> CMYK conversion. Ask them, if they know their job they should be able to assist you. Cheers, Carl Bob King schrieb am 23.01.14 09:49: > Hi Thorsten, > > Production sequence used is as follows: > > 6 images constructed in PowerPoint at maximum size under Page Set-up > [140 cm wide], then saved in .png format. > .png images opened in GC v9.0.2 and cropped. > Images adjusted to publication width [20.5 cm] and resolution adjusted > from 72 dpi to 300 dpi. Results in Generic RGB Profile and True Colour > [ARGB]. > Saved images as .tif files in Finder. > Adjusted Mode of image to CMYK [as graphics to be published], results in > Generic RGB Profile and CMYK [32bit]. > Saved images as .tif [required format]. Images OK in GC with > [CMYK+Alpha} header in file name; but when files are viewed in Finder, > these are polarised [negative]. Note, that I do not see the same > dialogue as your screen print when selecting Mode. [see screen shot] > Have also tried 'Select Profile' under Mode and chosen Generic CMYK > Profile for Source and Printer, with the result that this saves as .tif > with colour profile of Generic CMYK and True Colour ARGB, and no > polarisation. > > Publisher requires .tif format, 300 dpi minimum, with CMYK colour. Does > not appear possible with GC. > Am using MacBook Pro, running OS 10.9.1 > > Regards > > Bob King > > /Mob:0412 114 217/ > /Tel:08 9383 4313/ > > > On 23.01.2014, at 15:55 pm, Thorsten Lemke <lemke@lemkesoft.de > <mailto:lemke@lemkesoft.de>> wrote: > >> Dear Bob, >> >> I rechecked it here. >> >> It works. Did you really save the image as JPG or TIFF after the CMYK >> change? >> >> Not many formats do support the storage as CMYK. >> >> Thorsten >> <GraphicConverter 9ScreenSnapz001.jpg> >> >> On 23.01.2014, at 04:22, Bob King <bobk@iinet.net.au >> <mailto:bobk@iinet.net.au>> wrote: >> >>> Using GC v9.0.2, MacOS10.9.1 >>> >>> When compiling images from .png format to .tif format and changing >>> mode from RGB to CMYK, the image is saved as part polarised and >>> considered unusable. If the mode change is made to 'generic CMYK', >>> the image remains as TrueColour ARGB, with a colour profile of >>> Generic CMYK, not CMYK. >>> Can't seem to get proper images in full CMYK format. >>> >>> Suggestions? >>> >>> Regards >>> >>> Bob King
thorstenlemke

Re: Graphic Convertor CMYK Mode Issues [1 Attachment]

Post by thorstenlemke »

Hello Bob, the Finder has only partial CMYK support. Open the TIFF in Photoshop and it will be perfect. Same with CMYK JPEGs. Thorsten On 23.01.2014, at 09:49, Bob King <bobk@iinet.net.au> wrote: > Hi Thorsten, > > Production sequence used is as follows: > > 6 images constructed in PowerPoint at maximum size under Page Set-up [140 cm wide], then saved in .png format. > .png images opened in GC v9.0.2 and cropped. > Images adjusted to publication width [20.5 cm] and resolution adjusted from 72 dpi to 300 dpi. Results in Generic RGB Profile and True Colour [ARGB]. > Saved images as .tif files in Finder. > Adjusted Mode of image to CMYK [as graphics to be published], results in Generic RGB Profile and CMYK [32bit]. > Saved images as .tif [required format]. Images OK in GC with [CMYK+Alpha} header in file name; but when files are viewed in Finder, these are polarised [negative]. Note, that I do not see the same dialogue as your screen print when selecting Mode. [see screen shot] > Have also tried 'Select Profile' under Mode and chosen Generic CMYK Profile for Source and Printer, with the result that this saves as .tif with colour profile of Generic CMYK and True Colour ARGB, and no polarisation. > > Publisher requires .tif format, 300 dpi minimum, with CMYK colour. Does not appear possible with GC. > Am using MacBook Pro, running OS 10.9.1
Carl von Einem

Post by Carl von Einem »

Here is a short follow up to my last message: When reopening the tif file in GC I get a color: CMYK color space: sRGB info. No silly alpha channels. I don't know where (and why) that was added. The same file reports in Photoshop as CMYK with a "Generic CMYK" profile. Both applications show relatively dull colors (in contrast to the RGB file). BTW Photoshop's LZW compression leads to a much smaller file size. Carl Thorsten Lemke schrieb am 23.01.14 14:38: > Hello Bob, > > the Finder has only partial CMYK support. Open the TIFF in Photoshop and it will be perfect. Same with CMYK JPEGs. > > Thorsten > > > On 23.01.2014, at 09:49, Bob King <bobk@iinet.net.au> wrote: > >> Hi Thorsten, >> >> Production sequence used is as follows: >> >> 6 images constructed in PowerPoint at maximum size under Page Set-up [140 cm wide], then saved in .png format. >> .png images opened in GC v9.0.2 and cropped. >> Images adjusted to publication width [20.5 cm] and resolution adjusted from 72 dpi to 300 dpi. Results in Generic RGB Profile and True Colour [ARGB]. >> Saved images as .tif files in Finder. >> Adjusted Mode of image to CMYK [as graphics to be published], results in Generic RGB Profile and CMYK [32bit]. >> Saved images as .tif [required format]. Images OK in GC with [CMYK+Alpha} header in file name; but when files are viewed in Finder, these are polarised [negative]. Note, that I do not see the same dialogue as your screen print when selecting Mode. [see screen shot] >> Have also tried 'Select Profile' under Mode and chosen Generic CMYK Profile for Source and Printer, with the result that this saves as .tif with colour profile of Generic CMYK and True Colour ARGB, and no polarisation. >> >> Publisher requires .tif format, 300 dpi minimum, with CMYK colour. Does not appear possible with GC. >> Am using MacBook Pro, running OS 10.9.1 > > > > ------------------------------------ > > Yahoo Groups Links > > > > >
David Heimbach

Post by David Heimbach »

Please delete me from your Email group.  I have asked to unsubscribe many times without any luck..  Thank youOn Jan 23, 2014, at 3:38 AM, Thorsten Lemke <lemke@lemkesoft.de> wrote:Hello Bob,the Finder has only partial CMYK support. Open the TIFF in Photoshop and it will be perfect. Same with CMYK JPEGs.ThorstenOn 23.01.2014, at 09:49, Bob King <bobk@iinet.net.au> wrote:> Hi Thorsten,> > Production sequence used is as follows:> > 6 images constructed in PowerPoint at maximum size under Page Set-up [140 cm wide], then saved in .png format.> .png images opened in GC v9.0.2 and cropped.> Images adjusted to publication width [20.5 cm] and resolution adjusted from 72 dpi to 300 dpi. Results in Generic RGB Profile and True Colour [ARGB].> Saved images as .tif files in Finder.> Adjusted Mode of image to CMYK [as graphics to be published], results in Generic RGB Profile and CMYK [32bit].> Saved images as .tif [required format]. Images OK in GC with [CMYK+Alpha} header in file name; but when files are viewed in Finder, these are polarised [negative]. Note, that I do not see the same dialogue as your screen print when selecting Mode. [see screen shot]> Have also tried 'Select Profile' under Mode and chosen Generic CMYK Profile for Source and Printer, with the result that this saves as .tif with colour profile of Generic CMYK and True Colour ARGB, and no polarisation. > > Publisher requires .tif format, 300 dpi minimum, with CMYK colour. Does not appear possible with GC.> Am using MacBook Pro, running OS 10.9.1 ********************************A politician is a fellow who will lay down your life for his country. David Heimbachheimbach@u.washington.edu
Carl von Einem

Post by Carl von Einem »

If you risk a closer look you will spot that there is an "Unsubscribe" link in each mail from the group. Just scroll down to the bottom. Or for your convenience, try this: mailto:gcmac-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com?subject=Unsubscribe If that doesn't work you'll need to visit Yahoo: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/gcmac Sign in and you will find a button "Membership". It's a list that contains a "Edit Membership" link. Click. Now there's a button "Leave Group". Simple. David Heimbach schrieb am 23.01.14 18:10: > > > *Please delete me from your Email group. I have asked to unsubscribe > many times without any luck.. Thank you* > * > * > * > * > * > * > * > * > On Jan 23, 2014, at 3:38 AM, Thorsten Lemke <lemke@lemkesoft.de > <mailto:lemke@lemkesoft.de>> wrote: > > Hello Bob, > > the Finder has only partial CMYK support. Open the TIFF in Photoshop and > it will be perfect. Same with CMYK JPEGs. > > Thorsten > > On 23.01.2014, at 09:49, Bob King <bobk@iinet.net.au > <mailto:bobk@iinet.net.au>> wrote: > > > Hi Thorsten, > > > > Production sequence used is as follows: > > > > 6 images constructed in PowerPoint at maximum size under Page Set-up > [140 cm wide], then saved in .png format. > > .png images opened in GC v9.0.2 and cropped. > > Images adjusted to publication width [20.5 cm] and resolution > adjusted from 72 dpi to 300 dpi. Results in Generic RGB Profile and True > Colour [ARGB]. > > Saved images as .tif files in Finder. > > Adjusted Mode of image to CMYK [as graphics to be published], results > in Generic RGB Profile and CMYK [32bit]. > > Saved images as .tif [required format]. Images OK in GC with > [CMYK+Alpha} header in file name; but when files are viewed in Finder, > these are polarised [negative]. Note, that I do not see the same > dialogue as your screen print when selecting Mode. [see screen shot] > > Have also tried 'Select Profile' under Mode and chosen Generic CMYK > Profile for Source and Printer, with the result that this saves as .tif > with colour profile of Generic CMYK and True Colour ARGB, and no > polarisation. > > > > Publisher requires .tif format, 300 dpi minimum, with CMYK colour. > Does not appear possible with GC. > > Am using MacBook Pro, running OS 10.9.1 > > > ******************************** > > *A politician is a fellow who will lay down your life for his country. * > > > David Heimbach > heimbach@u.washington.edu <mailto:heimbach@u.washington.edu> > > > > > > > >
Bob King

Post by Bob King »

Hi Thorsten [& Carl]Looks like the Finder is the issue. When re-opening the files from Finder in GC, the images are polarised, with Colour Profile sRGB and Colours CMYK [32 bit].As I don't have Photoshop, I will check these images with my Publisher to see whether they are OK. Thanks for your advice, & RegardsBob KingMob:  0412 114 217Tel:  08 9383 4313 On 23.01.2014, at 21:38 pm, Thorsten Lemke <lemke@lemkesoft.de> wrote:   Hello Bob, the Finder has only partial CMYK support. Open the TIFF in Photoshop and it will be perfect. Same with CMYK JPEGs. Thorsten On 23.01.2014, at 09:49, Bob King <bobk@iinet.net.au> wrote: > Hi Thorsten, > > Production sequence used is as follows: > > 6 images constructed in PowerPoint at maximum size under Page Set-up [140 cm wide], then saved in .png format. > .png images opened in GC v9.0.2 and cropped. > Images adjusted to publication width [20.5 cm] and resolution adjusted from 72 dpi to 300 dpi. Results in Generic RGB Profile and True Colour [ARGB]. > Saved images as .tif files in Finder. > Adjusted Mode of image to CMYK [as graphics to be published], results in Generic RGB Profile and CMYK [32bit]. > Saved images as .tif [required format]. Images OK in GC with [CMYK+Alpha} header in file name; but when files are viewed in Finder, these are polarised [negative]. Note, that I do not see the same dialogue as your screen print when selecting Mode. [see screen shot] > Have also tried 'Select Profile' under Mode and chosen Generic CMYK Profile for Source and Printer, with the result that this saves as .tif with colour profile of Generic CMYK and True Colour ARGB, and no polarisation. > > Publisher requires .tif format, 300 dpi minimum, with CMYK colour. Does not appear possible with GC. > Am using MacBook Pro, running OS 10.9.1
Bob King

Post by Bob King »

Hi Thorsten,Unfortunately, my Publisher indicates that the images are still polarised even when opened in Photoshop. I intend sending them RGB replacements instead. RegardsBob KingMob:  0412 114 217Tel:  08 9383 4313 On 24.01.2014, at 10:53 am, Bob King <bobk@iinet.net.au> wrote: Hi Thorsten [& Carl]Looks like the Finder is the issue. When re-opening the files from Finder in GC, the images are polarised, with Colour Profile sRGB and Colours CMYK [32 bit].As I don't have Photoshop, I will check these images with my Publisher to see whether they are OK. Thanks for your advice, & RegardsBob KingMob:  0412 114 217Tel:  08 9383 4313 On 23.01.2014, at 21:38 pm, Thorsten Lemke <lemke@lemkesoft.de> wrote:   Hello Bob, the Finder has only partial CMYK support. Open the TIFF in Photoshop and it will be perfect. Same with CMYK JPEGs. Thorsten On 23.01.2014, at 09:49, Bob King <bobk@iinet.net.au> wrote: > Hi Thorsten, > > Production sequence used is as follows: > > 6 images constructed in PowerPoint at maximum size under Page Set-up [140 cm wide], then saved in .png format. > .png images opened in GC v9.0.2 and cropped. > Images adjusted to publication width [20.5 cm] and resolution adjusted from 72 dpi to 300 dpi. Results in Generic RGB Profile and True Colour [ARGB]. > Saved images as .tif files in Finder. > Adjusted Mode of image to CMYK [as graphics to be published], results in Generic RGB Profile and CMYK [32bit]. > Saved images as .tif [required format]. Images OK in GC with [CMYK+Alpha} header in file name; but when files are viewed in Finder, these are polarised [negative]. Note, that I do not see the same dialogue as your screen print when selecting Mode. [see screen shot] > Have also tried 'Select Profile' under Mode and chosen Generic CMYK Profile for Source and Printer, with the result that this saves as .tif with colour profile of Generic CMYK and True Colour ARGB, and no polarisation. > > Publisher requires .tif format, 300 dpi minimum, with CMYK colour. Does not appear possible with GC. > Am using MacBook Pro, running OS 10.9.1