Batch processing and lossless JPG crop in GC9

This area contains the messages from the old Yahoo gcmac group after the port.
ddg.alextek

Batch processing and lossless JPG crop in GC9

Post by ddg.alextek »

Two questions.1) I used to do lossless JPG cropping in earlier versions by opening an Edit window, making selection using the Crop tool, selecting 'Save selection only', and hitting Save. In 9 I am getting the "before/after" preview window which I presume means the resulting crop would not be lossless. What am I missing? I have looked at the Henke manual but still confused.2) I have a bunch of uncompressed TIFFs I want to compress to LZW (and overwrite the original files). If I open the Convert window and make the Destination folder the same as the Source folder, making the format TIFF in both cases but selectiing LZW compression for the Destination folder, will this accomplish what I want? (I assume I have to check the Batch box?) If I am in error I would appreciate being pointed towards the correct approach.Thanks in advance for any help and kudos on a great and very fairly priced app!
thorstenlemke

Re: Batch processing and lossless JPG crop in GC9

Post by thorstenlemke »

Hello,many thanks for your e-mail.1) Do you make a selection and select save as?2) That will work - but make a backup of your image files first. Use batch has only to be checked if you want to use additional batches.ThorstenOn 24.03.2014, at 20:36, <dg.alextek@gmail.com> <dg.alextek@gmail.com> wrote: Two questions.1) I used to do lossless JPG cropping in earlier versions by opening an Edit window, making selection using the Crop tool, selecting 'Save selection only', and hitting Save. In 9 I am getting the "before/after" preview window which I presume means the resulting crop would not be lossless. What am I missing? I have looked at the Henke manual but still confused.2) I have a bunch of uncompressed TIFFs I want to compress to LZW (and overwrite the original files). If I open the Convert window and make the Destination folder the same as the Source folder, making the format TIFF in both cases but selectiing LZW compression for the Destination folder, will this accomplish what I want? (I assume I have to check the Batch box?) If I am in error I would appreciate being pointed towards the correct approach.Thanks in advance for any help and kudos on a great and very fairly priced app!
ddg.alextek

Re: Batch processing and lossless JPG crop in GC9

Post by ddg.alextek »

Attachments :Screen Shot 2014-03-25 at 10.41.15 AM.pngYes, using 'Cmd+Shift+S' and have the 'Save only selection' radio button checked, as I have always done when using this feature. Attached is a screenshot of the dialog box that follows, using a test image. I note that 'Show before saving JPEG files' is checked, but I also note that the file size is actually much bigger. It seems to me that the Quality slider should not even be there for a Lossless crop. I know I am doing something wrong...! Thanks for thereply and advice.
thorstenlemke

Re: Batch processing and lossless JPG crop in GC9 [1 Attachment]

Post by thorstenlemke »

Hi,please double click onto the selection tool and check the lossless JPEG crop option. Now it will work.ThorstenOn 25.03.2014, at 15:51, <dg.alextek@gmail.com> <dg.alextek@gmail.com> wrote: [Attachment(s) from dg.alextek@gmail.com included below]Yes, using 'Cmd+Shift+S' and have the 'Save only selection' radio button checked, as I have always done when using this feature. Attached is a screenshot of the dialog box that follows, using a test image. I note that 'Show before saving JPEG files' is checked, but I also note that the file size is actually much bigger. It seems to me that the Quality slider should not even be there for a Lossless crop. I know I am doing something wrong...! Thanks for thereply and advice.
ddg.alextek

Re: Batch processing and lossless JPG crop in GC9 [1 Attachment]

Post by ddg.alextek »

Aha!!! I *KNEW* I was missing something!!! Thank you!!!