Tags

This area contains the messages from the old Yahoo gcmac group after the port.
havema1

Tags

Post by havema1 »

I digitized 5400 old slides... GC was a great help in renaming them via a custom index so I can now find the original slide if I want to digitize it better later...!! (I used FileBuddy to adjust a folder's file dates approximately to the right date in the past and then used GC to change the EXIF accordingly. File dates older than 1970 don't stick in OS X file system but EXIF does. That step wasn't completely necessary, though).I have started to tag the digitized slides via Finder QuickLook (hit the Space-bar, then Finder > File > Tags... red for a quite good and an additional blue for a very good shot). But this is quite clumsy with such a huge amount of images...Is it possible to add a specific tag just via a keyboard command in Finder QuickLook? I.e. some keyboard combination for the red tag and another for the blue? Or while browsing the images in GC slideshow?Is it possible to add some suffix to the filename according to the tag? The file tags seem to survive mangling but I have seen some folder tags disappear... Are file tags bullet-proof as long as the file lives on a Mac OS Extended disk?? (I still remember the ancient Mac OS Finder comments that didn't survive a "Desktop rebuild" without 3rd party add-ons...).BTW, I still use GC 6.7.7's slideshow to send bad images to the trash via the delete key. Is this possible in GC 9? How do you sort bad images out??thanks,- Matti
thorstenlemke

Re: Tags

Post by thorstenlemke »

Dear Matti,I support tags/labels with the grapicconverter browser. You can set with the keys 1..7 (if you enable that in the prefs part browser).Thorsten On 27.03.2014, at 01:34, <matti.haveri@gmail.com> <matti.haveri@gmail.com> wrote: I digitized 5400 old slides... GC was a great help in renaming them via a custom index so I can now find the original slide if I want to digitize it better later...!! (I used FileBuddy to adjust a folder's file dates approximately to the right date in the past and then used GC to change the EXIF accordingly. File dates older than 1970 don't stick in OS X file system but EXIF does. That step wasn't completely necessary, though).I have started to tag the digitized slides via Finder QuickLook (hit the Space-bar, then Finder > File > Tags... red for a quite good and an additional blue for a very good shot). But this is quite clumsy with such a huge amount of images...Is it possible to add a specific tag just via a keyboard command in Finder QuickLook? I.e. some keyboard combination for the red tag and another for the blue? Or while browsing the images in GC slideshow?Is it possible to add some suffix to the filename according to the tag? The file tags seem to survive mangling but I have seen some folder tags disappear... Are file tags bullet-proof as long as the file lives on a Mac OS Extended disk?? (I still remember the ancient Mac OS Finder comments that didn't survive a "Desktop rebuild" without 3rd party add-ons...).BTW, I still use GC 6.7.7's slideshow to send bad images to the trash via the delete key. Is this possible in GC 9? How do you sort bad images out??thanks,- Matti
havema1

Re: Tags

Post by havema1 »

Hi,I was still using GC 6.7.7 where tagging options were more limited.But this seems to be the last straw to _finally_ persuade me to learn the "new" GC interface. Adding tags in GC 9.1 is a breeze! I now just hover the mouse over the slideshow top pane and click. Or use the keyboard.GC browser seem to display only the lastly added tag (Finder shows all tags GC has added). Is it possible to show all added tags in GC?And is it possible to remove an individual tag in GC browser -- it seems that it is only possible to remove all tags?I have also been wondering how to sort bad images out. But it turns out I can get the GC 6.7.7 style barebones slideshow just by turning off the fancy transitions. Doh!Then I can trash unwanted images via the menu on top or via the delete key. Or using ratings (hmm, should I give positive ratings to the _bad_ images, filter the good ones from the list and then trash the bad ones?).Obviously I need to learn new workflows and forget some old ones ;-)thanks,- Matti
thorstenlemke

Re: How to STOP GC from optimising the colour table on save!!!!!

Post by thorstenlemke »

Hi,which file format do you use?Maybe GIF? GIF supports only 8 bit color table - that is the GIF standard.Just use PNG - which also supports an alpha channel.Thorsten On 21.04.2014, at 00:12, Nickee Sanders <njsanders@ihug.co.nz> wrote:  have a file where I keep icons I've drawn for custom buttons in Word and Excel. The icons are very simple; in the main, no fancy shadows etc. In the past it has been at 8 bit colours setting.Recently I needed some new colours, so I set the colours up to 32 bit. I had to reset many of the existing pixels, but I expected to have to do that, so no problem. I did my other edits, saved the file and closed it.Today I went back to the file...imagine my frustration to find that GC had optimised the colour table back to 8 bit and my icons were a total mess!!!Sigh...I cleaned them up again, saved the file and closed it. Reopening it just to make sure the thing hadn't been messed up AGAIN....I found that indeed, it had been.HOW do I stop GC from optimising the colour table? I have searched Hagen's manual for "optimiz" and found nothing on this topic. I really would like this file to stay exactly as it is when I go Save.I'm really sick of having to clean up my icons!
thorstenlemke

Re: Location of RAW files?

Post by thorstenlemke »

Attachments :Hi,please e-mail the raw  file and xmp file to lemke@lemkesoft.deThorstenOn 20.04.2014, at 23:36, <rob.gendreau@gmail.com> <rob.gendreau@gmail.com> wrote: GC 9 doesn't seem to show the location of geo tagged RAW files. I'm using them from Panasonic, RW2, and they have sidecar XMP files from Lightroom. In the info box the GPS coordinates show in the "--GPS IFD--" field, so GC 9 sees that at least. And the coordinates are in the XMP obviously.If I select the photo and go to the menu item to "Add or edit GPS location..." it shows blank values where the GPS coordinates would be entered. I've noticed there's a difference in the jpg's GPS info; stuff like "North or South Latitude" is listed in the jpg's GPS IFD area, while with the RAW that same info is in "Interoperability IFD". GPS time and date seems to be missing as well, but that probably because I copied the GPS data from another file in LR.Is it just tha GC9 doesn't show mapping for RAWs? Or is it that in copying the metadata from jpg to RAW in LR that I somehow (or LR somehow) either copied incomplete data or copied to the wrong fields?
Nickee Sanders

Post by Nickee Sanders »

Many thanks for the advice Thorsten. Yes indeed the file is a gif, which I chose so that I could be very precise with my pixel colourings and not have the icons go fuzzy with anti-aliasing. Does PNG do anti-aliasing or will my pixels stay exactly as I set them? At 9:01 am +0200 21/04/14, Thorsten Lemke wrote: >Hi, > >which file format do you use? > >Maybe GIF? GIF supports only 8 bit color table - that is the GIF standard. > >Just use PNG - which also supports an alpha channel. > >Thorsten > > >On 21.04.2014, at 00:12, Nickee Sanders ><<mailto:njsanders@ihug.co.nz>njsanders@ihug.co.nz> wrote: > >I have a file where I keep icons I've drawn for custom buttons in >Word and Excel. The icons are very simple; in the main, no fancy >shadows etc. In the past it has been at 8 bit colours setting. > >Recently I needed some new colours, so I set the colours up to 32 >bit. I had to reset many of the existing pixels, but I expected to >have to do that, so no problem. I did my other edits, saved the file >and closed it. > >Today I went back to the file...imagine my frustration to find that >GC had optimised the colour table back to 8 bit and my icons were a >total mess!!! > >Sigh...I cleaned them up again, saved the file and closed it. >Reopening it just to make sure the thing hadn't been messed up >AGAIN....I found that indeed, it had been. > >HOW do I stop GC from optimising the colour table? I have searched >Hagen's manual for "optimiz" and found nothing on this topic. I >really would like this file to stay exactly as it is when I go Save. > >I'm really sick of having to clean up my icons! > > > > > >
thorstenlemke

Post by thorstenlemke »

Hello,the pixels will stay exactly in PNG format.Thorsten On 21.04.2014, at 10:08, Nickee Sanders <njsanders@ihug.co.nz> wrote: Many thanks for the advice Thorsten. Yes indeed the file is a gif, which I chose so that I could be very precise with my pixel colourings and not have the icons go fuzzy with anti-aliasing. Does PNG do anti-aliasing or will my pixels stay exactly as I set them?
Nickee Sanders

Post by Nickee Sanders »

Thank you so much Thorsten, I've tried it and this is exactly what I want. Magic! :-) At 10:32 am +0200 21/04/14, Thorsten Lemke wrote: >Hello, > >the pixels will stay exactly in PNG format. > >Thorsten > > >On 21.04.2014, at 10:08, Nickee Sanders ><<mailto:njsanders@ihug.co.nz>njsanders@ihug.co.nz> wrote: > >Many thanks for the advice Thorsten. Yes indeed the file is a gif, >which I chose so that I could be very precise with my pixel >colourings and not have the icons go fuzzy with anti-aliasing. Does >PNG do anti-aliasing or will my pixels stay exactly as I set them?