Faulty jpg files

This area contains the messages from the old Yahoo gcmac group after the port.
cdkrall

Faulty jpg files

Post by cdkrall »

I'm suddenly getting jpegs that open in GC, but show 0 x 0 in Finder info and won't open with anything else. Assuming a prefs issue, but before I trash them and start over wondered if there's a another remedy.10.6.8, GC 8.8.3, Disk has been checked by Disk Warrior, TTP, chkrootkit, and had prefs done, no change.
cdkrall

Re: Faulty jpg files

Post by cdkrall »

I narrowed it down, cannot use lossless setting in save Settings for jpg. I had gotten tired of making an interim editing file in jpg and having to reset the slider to 100% each time.
leon_azul2001

Post by leon_azul2001 »

This is a long-standing problem that is not a bug in GC, but rather a difference of opinion concerning how JPEG decoders ought to be implemented.Long story short, choose to export at 100% quality, and disregard the "lossless" option when exporting image files in JPEG format from GC. Ninety-nine and forty-four hundredths percent™ of the time, this is what you would want.Otherwise, the resulting files are effectively (tatsa�chlich) unrecognizable by many printers and publishers. Even though the file format is technically correct, it is not properly recognized.A luta continua 8^)
cdkrall

Post by cdkrall »

I can see how this would be possible. However, I have had my photo processing batches in place for a long time and now they will not make workable files to jpeg, but will work if the output in png. So perhaps my setting it to lossless affected that, but now how do I get it back?  I did try renaming the GC folder in ~/Library/App Support and that didn't help. Are there underlying support files in other directories that might need a refresh?
thorstenlemke

Post by thorstenlemke »

Hello,did you try the First Aid app?Please e-mail the not working batch and some sample files for testing all zipped to lemke@lemkesoft.deThorsten I can see how this would be possible. However, I have had my photo processing batches in place for a long time and now they will not make workable files to jpeg, but will work if the output in png. So perhaps my setting it to lossless affected that, but now how do I get it back?  I did try renaming the GC folder in ~/Library/App Support and that didn't help. Are there underlying support files in other directories that might need a refresh?
thorstenlemke

Post by thorstenlemke »

Hi,which version do you use?Thorsten I narrowed it down, cannot use lossless setting in save Settings for jpg. I had gotten tired of making an interim editing file in jpg and having to reset the slider to 100% each time.
cdkrall

Re: Faulty jpg files SOLVED GC First Aid

Post by cdkrall »

I found the GC First Aid you mentioned, thought at first it was Disk First Aid you were referring to. That seems to have worked, and I'll keep a copy in Apps in case.
Robert Ameeti

Post by Robert Ameeti »

Ok. I’m curious. Where do I find this GC First Aid? Robert Ameeti(949) 422-6866 On Aug 27, 2014, at 8:57 PM, cdkrall@gmail.com [gcmac] <gcmac@yahoogroups.com> wrote: I found the GC First Aid you mentioned, thought at first it was Disk First Aid you were referring to. That seems to have worked, and I'll keep a copy in Apps in case.
valsmiley

Post by valsmiley »

It is at the GC website. Lemke Software: Download in the downloads section at the very bottom. Lemke Software: Download GraphicConverter is an apple photo software for graphics conversion and image editing. Picture editor, photo browser and more. GraphicConverter i... View on www.lemkeso... Preview by Yahoo  
thorstenlemke

Post by thorstenlemke »

Hello,just go to http://www.lemkesoft.comClick onto download and scroll down.Thorsten Ok. I’m curious. Where do I find this GC First Aid?