Finding a needle

This area contains the messages from the old Yahoo gcmac group after the port.
David Knodel

Finding a needle

Post by David Knodel »

in a haystack.I have a printed image without the filename.  It came from one of my image files somewhere among many.  I have scanned it.  Is there anyway way GC (or some other program) and take this (single) image and compare it to a large number of image files?  The parameters would have to be somewhat loose, since the file was scanned by me from the print image, to find a match in the haystack?I tried with GC find, compare, replace with very loose (slider halfway on similar) parameters and got a number of astoundingly dis-similar files, overnight.  Find exact finds nothing. David
William H. Magill

Re: Finding a needle

Post by William H. Magill »

On Aug 30, 2014, at 12:17 PM, David Knodel dknodel@swbell.net [gcmac] <gcmac@yahoogroups.com> wrote: > in a haystack. > > > I have a printed image without the filename. It came from one of my image files somewhere among many. I have scanned it. Is there anyway way GC (or some other program) and take this (single) image and compare it to a large number of image files? The parameters would have to be somewhat loose, since the file was scanned by me from the print image, to find a match in the haystack? > > I tried with GC find, compare, replace with very loose (slider halfway on similar) parameters and got a number of astoundingly dis-similar files, overnight. Find exact finds nothing. MediaWiki image upload has some mechanic which compares incoming images with existing images on file to spot duplicates. I'm guessing that it simply uses a hash of the image, but I don't know. Similarly I don't know if it is possible to spot a "piece" of another image. T.T.F.N. William H. Magill # iMac11,3 Core i7 [2.93GHz - 8 GB 1067MHz] OS X 10.9.4 # Macmini6,1 Intel Core i5 [2.5 Ghz - 4GB 1600MHz] OS X 10.9.5 OSX Server 3.1.2 magill@icloud.com magill@mac.com whmagill@gmail.com
thorstenlemke

Post by thorstenlemke »

Dear David,I have no solution for this, yet.Thorsten I have a printed image without the filename.  It came from one of my image files somewhere among many.  I have scanned it.  Is there anyway way GC (or some other program) and take this (single) image and compare it to a large number of image files?  The parameters would have to be somewhat loose, since the file was scanned by me from the print image, to find a match in the haystack?I tried with GC find, compare, replace with very loose (slider halfway on similar) parameters and got a number of astoundingly dis-similar files, overnight.  Find exact finds nothing.David
Jeff Shapiro

Post by Jeff Shapiro »

You might want to give dupeGuru PE a try. I use it frequently to find duplicate images. It finds duplicates even if they are different sizes.dupeGuru Picture Edition - JPG, PNG, TIFF, GIF, BMP duplicate scannerFrom their website:dupeGuru PE is efficient. Not only can dupeGuru PE find exact matches, but it can also find duplicates among pictures of different kind (PNG, JPG, GIF etc..) and quality. On Mac OS X, dupeGuru PE can scan your iPhoto library.On Aug 30, 2014, at 10:17, David Knodel dknodel@swbell.net [gcmac] <gcmac@yahoogroups.com> wrote: in a haystack.I have a printed image without the filename.  It came from one of my image files somewhere among many.  I have scanned it.  Is there anyway way GC (or some other program) and take this (single) image and compare it to a large number of image files?  The parameters would have to be somewhat loose, since the file was scanned by me from the print image, to find a match in the haystack?I tried with GC find, compare, replace with very loose (slider halfway on similar) parameters and got a number of astoundingly dis-similar files, overnight.  Find exact finds nothing.David
Alan Fry

Post by Alan Fry »

'cups' keeps a record of the name and of files printed and the date of printing. It might therefore be worth looking in '/private/var/log/cups/page-log.HTH,Alan Fry On 30 Aug 201417:17, at   17:17, David Knodel dknodel@swbell.net [gcmac] wrote:   in a haystack.I have a printed image without the filename.  It came from one of my image files somewhere among many.  I have scanned it.  Is there anyway way GC (or some other program) and take this (single) image and compare it to a large number of image files?  The parameters would have to be somewhat loose, since the file was scanned by me from the print image, to find a match in the haystack?I tried with GC find, compare, replace with very loose (slider halfway on similar) parameters and got a number of astoundingly dis-similar files, overnight.  Find exact finds nothing. David