Search IPTC Caption?

This area contains the messages from the old Yahoo gcmac group after the port.
thorstenlemke

Re: Search IPTC Caption?

Post by thorstenlemke »

Attachments :Hi,the indexing is done by Spotlight. Did you try to rebuild the Spotlight database?Thorsten No, I cannot find it when I type the word into the Spotlight field or when I open a new finder window and type the word in the search field in the upper right.  I can find words that have been entered in the Title field.Thanks. Something is going on preventing the GC Caption field from being indexed.  Is there a way to force it to index it again?  Just that field, not the whole drive I'm hoping.
iamabbqueen

Post by iamabbqueen »

Oh, I was so hopeful.  I re-indexed my external hard drive and it is still not finding it.Again, it is finding terms in the Title field but not the Caption field.  So the photo itself is being indexed but just not the Caption field.Any other suggestions?  Thank you for your help.
thorstenlemke

Post by thorstenlemke »

Attachments :Hello,are there any mdworker / spotlight related issues in the console?Thorsten Oh, I was so hopeful.  I re-indexed my external hard drive and it is still not finding it.Again, it is finding terms in the Title field but not the Caption field.  So the photo itself is being indexed but just not the Caption field.Any other suggestions?  Thank you for your help.
iberoguy01

Post by iberoguy01 »

Hello,Using  GC 9.4.1. Anything I entered in the IPTC caption field has indexed by spotlight and able to find when I do a search via spotlight. I would look into spotlight preferences or system corruption. Sorry.
iamabbqueen

Post by iamabbqueen »

When I opened Console and searched for "mdworker" nothing came up.  When I searched for "spotlight" these turned up:- 11/18/14 5:15:04.957 PM ReportCrash[16932]: DebugSymbols was unable to start a spotlight query: spotlight is not responding or disabled.- 11/20/14 7:49:27.491 AM ReportCrash[19064]: DebugSymbols was unable to start a spotlight query: spotlight is not responding or disabled.I re-indexed the external drive and no new error appeared in Console.
iamabbqueen

Post by iamabbqueen »

I was just on the phone with Apple (for over 2 hours) and they don't have an answer.  The only thing they could say is spotlight will not index the caption field (because they probably don't know what it is - does it have an official name, like EXIF Caption? or IPTC Caption?) and they don't know why it is indexing the caption field on any picture.  I told them that you said the caption field was indexed by spotlight and they were befuddled.  They blamed it on "third party applications."If you have any more information I can give them I would appreciate it.  Otherwise... I'm not sure.  I have too many pictures to put on my internal hard drive so I'm thinking I may not be able to search them.  Any suggestions?  Thanks. 
thorstenlemke

Post by thorstenlemke »

Attachments :Hello,typical issue. The quality of the support depends extremely on the person on the other end. IPTC/XMP metadata is already very special. Normal support will normally not know much about it.Apple does index the caption. The official name is IPTC-NAA caption/abstract 2:120, also this is normally mirrored into the XMP record dc:description["x-default”]GraphicConverter does write the caption into the IPTC record and into the XMP record.Spotlight does index and find the caption data on my machine. Also, another user did already verify this in this group (did you read the past post)?So, this is a problem on your machine and not a third party problem. Did you try under a new user? Is the file on the local disk? Which MacOS do you use?Thorsten I was just on the phone with Apple (for over 2 hours) and they don't have an answer.  The only thing they could say is spotlight will not index the caption field (because they probably don't know what it is - does it have an official name, like EXIF Caption? or IPTC Caption?) and they don't know why it is indexing the caption field on any picture.  I told them that you said the caption field was indexed by spotlight and they were befuddled.  They blamed it on "third party applications."If you have any more information I can give them I would appreciate it.  Otherwise... I'm not sure.  I have too many pictures to put on my internal hard drive so I'm thinking I may not be able to search them.  Any suggestions?  Thanks. 
iamabbqueen

Post by iamabbqueen »

The trouble I am having is with an image on the external hard drive.  I, and others who have posted here, have been able to find the image when it is on the internal hard drive.  I am able to find other images on the external drive by searching for a word that is in the caption field.Per your suggestion I tried it with a new user.  It did not work.Thank you very much for the help.  At this point I'm just going to forget about it.  Although I understand it is most likely a hardware problem, Apple is not being much help.  I am able to search for the image using Photoshop Elements 13 Organizer so I will do that.  The Organizer is not nearly as good as GC for other functions so I will be going back and forth between applications.I sent Apple the information you gave me in the previous e-mail.  I will let you know if they figure anything out.Thanks again.
iberoguy01

Post by iberoguy01 »

Have you try to re-index spotlight to include the external hard drive? If it still don't find your caption it is probably issues with the photo itself not a hardware. How old are your photo in question and how were they saved? Try "save as again" as a jpg. I have noticed sometime that the extension showed is not the actual; some photos shows .jpg when in actuality are .png. GC /spotlight will not find them with this mishap.Good luck.