GC encounters high CPU temperatures

This area contains the messages from the old Yahoo gcmac group after the port.
eligurwayne

Re: GC encounters high CPU temperatures

Post by eligurwayne »

Hello Yes Sir I am aware at this time of my problem with all that you had related. So I'd best do an upgrade.I really know the Preview app. can do a lot better than take up most system use. It is so bad it just drains memory as it runs even at 5GB.In my time on these machines I did experience Apple's memory issues in their system and applications however. I notice also as I experience / log these crashes that Apple now lately does read these and now my system is more robust runs slightly differently so I gave some credit to the company Apple and have now a few new working parts in OS now.By the way what 'machine' does anyone there recommend for my stuff?The Apple Store near me seems to not address this issue and it would have been a   main selling point.I was wanting the McBook Air but tend not to like the other laptops now as they now are connected via WiFi ... 
thorstenlemke

Post by thorstenlemke »

Dear Rich,yes, I would suggest 8GB, too.Thorsten On 15.02.2015, at 14:12, Richard Ball rgb@ellerbach.com [gcmac] <gcmac@yahoogroups.com> wrote:Thorsten,As far as I can understand he is downloading images at sizes up to 4095 x 4095 pixels and then up sampling them to 9936 x 9936 pixels. So he is working with files with 4 times as many imaginary pixels as real pixels on a machine that is undersized for the job (only 5GB of memory).  It is nor surprising that the cpu gets hot and, deepening on what else it is doing, being slow or even crashing. The minimum memory size for what he is doing would be 8GB and better at 12 or 16.Rich
William H. Magill

Post by William H. Magill »

On Feb 15, 2015, at 10:12 AM, eligurwayne@yahoo.ca [gcmac] <gcmac@yahoogroups.com> wrote: > > By the way what 'machine' does anyone there recommend for my stuff? > > The Apple Store near me seems to not address this issue and it would have been a main selling point. > > > I was wanting the McBook Air but tend not to like the other laptops now as they now are connected via WiFi ... If you are intending to heavy graphics processing I would strongly recommend that you switch to an iMac -- and not try to do it on a Laptop. Laptops are simply not meant to do "heavy lifting" -- not that they can't, but it is not what they are designed for. If you are only randomly processing one image a week, then a laptop is fine, but if you are doing multiple images a day -- yes, any laptop is going to heat up. It is like gaming -- while you can play graphics intensive computer games on a laptop, they will heat up. Play those same games on an iMac and things are as "cool as a cucumber. " And personally, I much prefer the image on my 27 inch iMac to my old 13 inch MacBook Pro. :) T.T.F.N. William H. Magill # iMac11,3 Core i7 [2.93GHz - 8 GB 1067MHz] OS X 10.10.2 # Macmini6,1 Intel Core i5 [2.5 Ghz - 4GB 1600MHz] OS X 10.10.2 magill@icloud.com magill@mac.com whmagill@gmail.com
eligurwayne

Post by eligurwayne »

Yes more than a few per day at times.. my third or fourth machine...started with a 2000.I saw a couple of my images on that LED large screen made a difference.The brightness is better. I can do 'as good' in that way just waiting for dark and viewing the tiny 13 inch display.That LED display is OK but I strain after awhile. I use the University of Arizona [Tucson] computers which are the big screen Apple kind.The performance difference I can recall is small - only twice as quick and of course no memory or heat issues.I may use this present thing until I need to replace it.I found it needs to be memory released while working - and I have to use a modified file size until final save.The pixels increase may be a debatable issue as there actually ARE many more usable pixels that have <information> even just after maxing out the image size. The idea is to re define and sharpen.To be blunt there is tons and tons of water on the Mars planet!The U of A [front desk] actually told me to get GC and an Apple computer in 2007, saying we all have GC installed here as normal. So all of them know about what I found.All neatly blurred away.And all of the Astronomy images in public domain are all done over to the extent that we need to remove all these educators scientists asap!